Thread: Return To Forever - The Mothership Returns

Return To Forever - The Mothership Returns

I revisited this one tonight for the first time really since spinning it a bunch of times when it was released, and naturally I still love it. What an outstanding live set this is, and I love the mix too. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

For those who missed it first time around, a review here. I agree completely with Progatron.

True. Seeing them live was mighty fine, as it was in 08, 83 and 75.

I'm going to have to play this again this week, it's just so good! The playing is top-notch (no surprise there, but nice to see after so many years), and how can you not love Ponty onboard? Terrific. I also really liked the documentary on the DVD.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I was a bit underwhelmed

The live CD album is good enough (Ponty does make a diff)...
    But it's the DVD I have a problem with... I'd have much preferred a total filmed set, instead of three full tracks, a fairly uninteresting interview (these guys don't know humility, but I got to admit that I'd probably have a hard time to be so, if I was them)... and then these tracks that are cut with comments... WTF?? Just put out the whole filmed set and never mind the expandable comments...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I was a bit underwhelmed

The live CD album is good enough (Ponty does make a diff)...
    But it's the DVD I have a problem with... I'd have much preferred a total filmed set, instead of three full tracks, a fairly uninteresting interview (these guys don't know humility, but I got to admit that I'd probably have a hard time to be so, if I was them)... and then these tracks that are cut with comments... WTF?? Just put out the whole filmed set and never mind the expandable comments...
    I don't know why some bands release just a few songs on DVDs. I agree that it's pointless basically.

While I agree that a complete show would have improved the DVD, I rather enjoyed the interviews. They seem like they're having fun and there is still mutual respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I rather enjoyed the interviews. They seem like they're having fun and there is still mutual respect.
    My impression too. I don't share Trane's above view on the band - if they really are despicable, bloated egos, it certainly didn't show in this footage, imho.

Is the DVD sold serperately?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Is the DVD sold serperately?
    I only know of the 2CD/1DVD version.

That particular DVD is not sold seperately, no....

I loved the show I saw in PHX but still have yet to buy the album... sounds like a 'must have'
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    While I agree that a complete show would have improved the DVD, I rather enjoyed the interviews. They seem like they're having fun and there is still mutual respect.
    Yeah, it's still fun to view once... but not for repeated viewing.... which is what you have to do to catch the rest of the tracks on the disc

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    That particular DVD is not sold seperately, no....
    Maybe they'll exploit the full thing in a separate release... or release another show that was filmed
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Been enjoying this since its release (saw this and the '08 iteration); coincidentally, revisited the Montreux '08 DVD last night after not having watched it in a year or more...I was really focused on Al D's playing and while I enjoy Gambale and JLP in the band, I miss the musical interplay between Chick and Al.

Bumping this out of sheer love for this release/band, and to reiterate that anyone who does not own this yet, should.