Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Songs worth the price of the album NOT by a prog band but for prog lovers

Riff Raff: the title-track from "Original Man"

Love the work of Tommy Eyre b.t.w.

Edit: Wow, speaking of synchronicity. ^^

The title-track from Harry Sacksioni's "Vensters" is a side-long symphony with a wonderful climax including a beautiful electric guitar-solo:

Most of his other stuff, especially on this album, is for acoustic guitar although he's a very allround musician.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The title-track from Harry Sacksioni's "Vensters" is a side-long symphony with a wonderful climax including a beautiful electric guitar-solo:

Most of his other stuff, especially on this album, is for acoustic guitar although he's a very allround musician.
    I think his music is always worthwhile, whether you call it prog or not. A very underrated player, at least outside the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Ratcity in Blue (Ratcity in Blue the album, 1976) by The Good Rats

]
    Beat me to it!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Bloodrock - D.O.A.
    Well, I certainly wouldn’t call “D.O.A.” “prog,” in spite of its length. And I definitely wouldn’t recommend someone start with Bloodrock 2 as their first taste of them. Apart from the hit and “Lucky in the Morning,” that album is terrible. I’m starting to get the shakes just remembering the horror of “Sable & Pearl” [shudders].

Much better to start with their first. Again, not prog, but I’m surprised what a first-rate hard rock album it was. And seemingly influential; this was recorded in 1969, and I can think of a lot of later albums/bands that it sounds like. I’m guessing a lot of copies must have found their way to West Germany, Birth Control in particular seem to have borrowed an idea or ten from this. Either that, or U.S.A. (don’t be put off by the hideous cover art). Of course, if it’s prog you’re after, they went full-on Jethro Tull starting with Passage.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The Collectors: What Love Suite

Including one of those lonely saxophone-solo's that raises the hairs in your neck every time you hear it...

Again that suite might be the album's highlight, but every track is either really good or excellent...

And their second album is rather good as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Well, I certainly wouldn’t call “D.O.A.” “prog,” in spite of its length. And I definitely wouldn’t recommend someone start with Bloodrock 2 as their first taste of them. Apart from the hit and “Lucky in the Morning,” that album is terrible. I’m starting to get the shakes just remembering the horror of “Sable & Pearl” [shudders].

Much better to start with their first. Again, not prog, but I’m surprised what a first-rate hard rock album it was. And seemingly influential; this was recorded in 1969, and I can think of a lot of later albums/bands that it sounds like. I’m guessing a lot of copies must have found their way to West Germany, Birth Control in particular seem to have borrowed an idea or ten from this. Either that, or U.S.A. (don’t be put off by the hideous cover art). Of course, if it’s prog you’re after, they went full-on Jethro Tull starting with Passage.
    I think you missed the point of the thread.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think you missed the point of the thread.
    Yeah, but then again, he's not the only one

I'm expecting soon to have someone post the TAAB track
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Another song that made me go for the album .... cowboy prog ! The middle section, great instrumental moments, love the flute.

The marshal tucker band - running like the wind