Thread: Rolling Stones in Cuba - Who's next? Waters? Macca?

Rolling Stones in Cuba - Who's next? Waters? Macca?

Attachment 7214i.jpg

There is a rich music culture in Cuba, bands like Irakere are unique in many ways.

Gonzalo Rubalcaba delivered a monster album called Giraldilla that rivals RTF

Talented musiciens open to new influences ... exiting !

The great Tito Puente once declared, "I don't know anything about the salsa. Is that like a ketchup? I play Cuban music ".

The great and essential three against two polyrhythm . Imported from Africa to La Habana, New Orleans, and Rio Di Janeiro.

NPR had a report yesterday on young people in Cuba disavowing baseball and being clueless about the Rolling Stones.

That's apparently for older people. Young people have apparently moved onto more modern music. And Real Madrid and FC Barcelona .

Forget about going to Cuba! Just listen to any album recorded by the 90's Cuban artists The Buena Vista Social Club, or the album of that they are named for. Sadly, many of these incredible artists who were literally trapped in a musical time capsule due to their isolation passed away only a decade after recording these spectacular albums, but their magic remains forever in their recorded works.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

All of the musicians still alive that previously fled should be allowed to return to perform and reunite with any long-lost loved ones, etc. if they choose to, and receive amnesty for any old transgressions in the eyes of Fidel.

Many of the fathers of Afro-Cuban music, like Mario Bauza and Israel "Cachao" Lopez are gone now, but Arturo Sandoval (orig. member of Irakere), Paquito D'Rivera, Danilo Perez, Gonzalo R. as mentioned above and, among many more, even Gloria Estefan/Miami Sound Machine come to mind.
    Last edited by progeezer; 03-26-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    The great Tito Puente once declared, "I don't know anything about the salsa. Is that like a ketchup? I play Cuban music ".

The great and essential three against two polyrhythm . Imported from Africa to La Habana, New Orleans, and Rio Di Janeiro.

NPR had a report yesterday on young people in Cuba disavowing baseball and being clueless about the Rolling Stones.

That's apparently for older people. Young people have apparently moved onto more modern music. And Real Madrid and FC Barcelona .
    Well, Puerto Rican newspaper El Nuevo Dia, who has a correspondent in La Habana, reports lots of "young, long haired and tattoed" fans going wild among the 400,000 spectators.
    cuban.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    All of the musicians still alive that previously fled should be allowed to return to perform and reunite with any long-lost loved ones, etc. if they choose to, and receive amnesty for any old transgressions in the eyes of Fidel.

Many of the fathers of Afro-Cuban music, like Mario Bauza and Israel "Cachao" Lopez are gone now, but Arturo Sandoval (orig. member of Irakere), Paquito D'Rivera, Danilo Perez, Gonzalo R. as mentioned above and, among many more, even Gloria Estefan/Miami Sound Machine come to mind.
    Just an FYI Danilo Perez, Who has been in Wayne shorter's group for many years now, is Panamanian.

^^THANKS!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I've always said, my favorite Cuban musicians are New York Puerto Ricans. Yeah Tito Puente and Eddie Palmieri are my favorites of all time. Saw both live numerous times in two different states. The history of what became known as "Salsa" (a corny, stupid label) is pretty interesting. In a nutshell, a lot of the big names of Cuban music in the 40s and 50s either migrated to Mexico or New York. Each branch developed their own style. I personally love the big, swinging, Mambo orchestras (Puente, Machito, Chico O'Farrill, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Chico O'Farrill
    About 8 years ago, when I was in NYC visiting, some friends & I went to Birdland to see Chico's orchestra conducted by his son Arturo. We wound up sitting at a table right next to Chico's widow (& Arturo's mom) Lupe Velaro's table, where she was sitting with her friend Mercedes Hall (voice coach/jazz singer and mother of actor Anthony Michael Hall). We spent the whole evening listening to all their stories, and Mercedes even gave me her contact info and ultimately critiqued my daughter's promo cd gratis.
    Last edited by progeezer; 03-28-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    About 8 years ago, when I was in NYC visiting, some friends & I went to Birdland to see Chico's orchestra conducted by his son Arturo. We wound up sitting at a table right nest to Chico's widow (& Arturo's mom) Lupe Velaro's table, where she was sitting with her friend Mercedes Hall (voice coach/jazz singer and mother of actor Anthony Michael Hall). We spent the whole evening listening to all their stories, and Mercedes even gave me her contact info and ultimately critiqued my daughter's promo cd gratis.
    Cool story.