Thread: Babymetal

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    But death metal isn't meant to be cute...
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Which was a masterpiece (I reviewed it with 10/10 in my extreme metal fanzine upon release) of innovation and fusion of two musical styles that could easily complete each other in one uber-creative whole. When they went "cute" in "Cold Lake" they made themselves a joke. The controversial problem with marrying metal and J-Pop is that one genre denies the other. In concept and by default.
    Of course, it is a masterpiece. ITTP was just an example though. No doubt the jazz world were up in arms about John Zorn's Naked City and Torture Garden is, to my ears at least, a masterpiece.
    I'm sure many people felt that hard bop jazz and grindcore denied the other.

I can't see how one genre can deny another. It's all music. Whether it works or not is purely subjective.

I get that you don't like Babymetal and I understand why but as soon as the premise that a style of music isn't 'meant to be' something gets made, it implies that there are rules.
    Rules in art are boring and generally lead to boring art.

And yeah, I can think of musical styles that fused genres which make my blood boil but they have every right to be. No one style is sacred, everything can be fucked with. My, and I'm sure your, record collection is filled with albums that married different, often contradictory ideas.

What is death metal 'meant to be' anyway? Scary? Made by guys with tattoos and beards?
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 07-20-2016 at 07:55 AM.