Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babymetal

Babymetal

You just have to see it to believe it. BTW, it's a Dragonforce tune, or so I'm told. Sure sounded like it as my thought was this sounds like Dragonforce. Like being a operative word.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I guess they are big in Japan
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You really have to wonder about the Japanese some times.

They've played a number our gigs around the world.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And then of course......you have Ladybaby from the same country:

A co-worker gave me a copy of Babymetal's first CD. I made it through it.....once.

No disrespect meant, but they sound like a metal version of those two little ladies in the Mothra movies.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

There's an old thread about them titled J-Pop Metal down below, with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Thread was just woken up a few a few weeks ago when someone posted this, which is brilliant::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efc17j5wqtw

They are already quite popular in Europe. Just today I was in a huge shopping mall, and one shop selling all sorts of music, mc, drinking, angels,demons,elves and skulls stuff had bags, shirts and mugs with pictures of Babymetal on them.

I don't think I woud buy any of their albums but I have been enjoying their videos a lot. Maybe my guiltiest pleasure. Their performances tend to fall in 2 categories identified by who is backing them: if you see the skeletons the music and most of the vocals (except for the lead) come from "tape", if you see the band in white dress and facepaint pretty much everything except keyboards is all live. Some serious chops in that band and the girls are ace as well when you consider they sing and do all the choreographed moves. It is very scripted / regimented what they do but they put on one hell of a show. And musically it goes pretty extreme:

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    No disrespect meant, but they sound like a metal version of those two little ladies in the Mothra movies.
    Bingo.

I think I heard about 30 seconds of Babymetal (what a name ) on youtube. I don't get it. I just do not get it. Should I get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Bingo.

I think I heard about 30 seconds of Babymetal (what a name ) on youtube. I don't get it. I just do not get it. Should I get it?
    Are you a Japanese male with suppressed sexual issues?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ Certainly not.......

Here's an article on the producers and musicians behind Babymetal:

https://donotcrossthestreams.wordpre...ind-babymetal/

It's full of names probably obscure to everyone but obsessive fans of Japanese underground rock, metal, and EDM. However, the point is still understandable. Interestingly, it looks as if the music guys may be just as much hired hands as the vocalists/dancers. The article doesn't say who's actually in charge - who came up with the concept, put everybody together, signs the paychecks, and makes the real profits. Although, from what I remember once reading about Japanese pop music, there might be a reason for that: At one point in time, the whole big-time Japanese music business was run by the Yakuza, the Japanese Mob. I don't know if that's still true, or if it ever was, but I can believe it - go back to the Sixties, and there was all sorts of Mafia involvement in the US rock 'n roll business.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 03-26-2016 at 11:04 AM.

The lead singer is very good, but she's what...fourteen? (Guessing) The whole thing is over the top with near pedophilia overtones. Despite the talent involved, it's a little creepy.

I watched the Death Live Crucifixion video. Nope, just don't get it. And what the hecks is the neck brace for? Would I go see them if they brought that show to Boston? You betch'um.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I watched the Death Live Crucifixion video. Nope, just don't get it. And what the hecks is the neck brace for? Would I go see them if they brought that show to Boston? You betch'um.
    Same here.
    Ian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That's about the last thing I'd watch. Lame power metal for Power Puff Girl "Bronies."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's about the last thing I'd watch. Lame power metal for Power Puff Girl "Bronies."
    But did you watch it? Is that what it is?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Aren't they, in the parlance of my youth, quite literally, a bunch of f***ing poseurs?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Aren't they, in the parlance of my youth, quite literally, a bunch of f***ing poseurs?
    "Death to false metal"

Epic new song went online today .. I quite like it:

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The lead singer is very good, but she's what...fourteen? (Guessing) The whole thing is over the top with near pedophilia overtones. Despite the talent involved, it's a little creepy.
    Yep, that is the one thing that keeps popping up back in my mind but .... do you feel the same when you go see a performance of the musical Oliver! ? That is a cast loaded with very talented kids as well, wherever in the world you go see a professional production of it. And that is my rationalisation why I give myself permission to enjoy this. Their performances are as scripted, as rehearsed and prepared as that musical.

Just checked and their lead singer is 18: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuka_Nakamoto, te other girls are 16.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Yep, that is the one thing that keeps popping up back in my mind but .... do you feel the same when you go see a performance of the musical Oliver! ? That is a cast loaded with very talented kids as well, wherever in the world you go see a professional production of it. And that is my rationalisation why I give myself permission to enjoy this. Their performances are as scripted, as rehearsed and prepared as that musical.
    I've never seen Oliver!, so I can't comment. However, my comment on Babymetal has more to do with the little girl dresses that the 3 female performers wear as part of their stage persona. That the band is called "Babymetal" seems to indicate that the look is intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've never seen Oliver!, so I can't comment. However, my comment on Babymetal has more to do with the little girl dresses that the 3 female performers wear as part of their stage persona. That the band is called "Babymetal" seems to indicate that the look is intentional.
    I get you. I used Oliver as a specific example but there are countless other theatre performances that employ kids ... wasn't clear enough in making my point I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    I used Oliver as a specific example but there are countless other theatre performances that employ kids ...
    Yes, but unless they're used in a somewhat sexualized way, I don't think they'd be relevant to this discussion. YMMV.