Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Babymetal

I visit that site but an not a member. I don't want to argue about politics and religion here and I certainly don't want to argue about them there I was just looking at the 'Music' forum and saw that thread; I thought it was worth linking to here. Small world.

I've known of Babymetal for a year or so but never payed that much attention to them. The same with the whole J-Pop/K-Pop scenes. Just seems like Far East versions of 'girl groups'. Those girls may be cute but they don't have a lot of freedom. I heard this one girl was caught visiting her boyfriend or something when she wasn't supposed to. She had to have her head shaved because of it.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Radiolab did a show on K-POP and the highly controlled lives of the performers. It's a good listen, even though the music blows.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I saw it and now I believe on it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They wear young girl dresses and dance like Beyonce's dancers in front of a speed metal band. I'm not the only one seeing it.
    You are entitled to your opinion but it isn't one I agree with.

I have no idea how Beyonce's dancers dance, but it would be completely wrong to suggest the three from Babymetal dance in an overtly sexual or suggestive manner. That simply isn't true.

One wonders how overt it would have to be to register as "overtly sexual."

What this does tell me is that whoever is behind the Baby Metal concept is playing a line, and it's working, apparently.

I find it disheartening that a topic like this gets 3 pages of posts and yet someone trying to post about a lesser known prog-related band can barely muster 5 or 6 posts. It's not like everybody is familiar with Babymetal but it would appear people took the time to watch the OPs video and form an opinion, then voice it. Why can't people give up and coming prog bands the same sort of consideration?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    There is a certain looking at a car crash quality to it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Egg Zacked Lee

There's also the "cuteness" factor the blogger mentioned. Probably why half the people online are watching kitten videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I find it disheartening that a topic like this gets 3 pages of posts and yet someone trying to post about a lesser known prog-related band can barely muster 5 or 6 posts. It's not like everybody is familiar with Babymetal but it would appear people took the time to watch the OPs video and form an opinion, then voice it. Why can't people give up and coming prog bands the same sort of consideration?
    Even though you have stated repeatedly that you have fallen away from the prog genre in regards to what you listen to?

Not this far away...The bands I post about should interest some members here because similar bands have been discussed in the past...but I digress...

I have seen it many times over many years, this was the time I decided to post about it. Different members posting about various bands that would fall under the very vast prog umbrella see their threads die almost immediately. Meanwhile music like this seems to get multi-page threads. I find it disheartening is all. Conversely, if the people posting here are serious about this genre and this band then the multi-page thread is warranted. I just don't get the feeling that is totally the case though.

I am a prog freak, and I love Baby Metal. I find nothing odd about a thread on them in the OT section of this website. We discuss all sorts of genre's and bands here.

As for a thread dying a quick death while being prog related... them's the breaks. It perhaps has too much competition with other prog threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I am a prog freak, and I love Baby Metal. I find nothing odd about a thread on them in the OT section of this website. We discuss all sorts of genre's and bands here.

As for a thread dying a quick death while being prog related... them's the breaks. It perhaps has too much competition with other prog threads.
    I guess that's what it comes down to. As I was posting how I feel the analytical part of my brain started dissecting it, and I basically came to this conclusion.

As you were....

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They wear young girl dresses and dance like Beyonce's dancers in front of a speed metal band. I'm not the only one seeing it.
    I don't really agree with that. Similar to Beyoncé's dancers? No. One of the things I like about Baby Metal is they DON'T sexualize the girls at all.

I mean, sure maybe you can get aroused by watching my daughter's cheer leading squad... you know, they wear cheer leading outfits, and dance and jump around, and do the splits.... but I would hardly call what they do as sexualizing young girls.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If you started a thread titled BabyRIO, about a trio of highly sexualized young Asian girls who sing RIO songs, I'm sure it'd get a lot of interest.

I thought this would be a couple pages of jokes and then die. But, them's the breaks.

Interesting to note, why isn't this happening in America? I wonder if BM will ever have a following here as most children are growing up with rap/techno/hip-hop, whatever the crap is and maybe even more to the point, why is metal/hard rock unheard of anymore in this country? I watch loads of ESPN and they always are playing the junk, interviewing Lil' Wayne or whoever, but nary, for the most part, a peep about anything RnR related. They can use Slayer in one of their most famous This is Sportscenter ads but would never dare to interview them about it? Really?

I dunno, maybe it's just me. I'm really pissed that this whole musical paradigm has changed in just a few years. RnR used to be something but only rappers get attention these days. Metal/hard rock is a joke, usually going to eleven, and constantly downplayed but only people, for the most part, that make faux, IMO, "music", are heralded.

Heck, why didn't anyone here try this approach? Is hard rock/metal that dirty little secret these days?

A guy who can be clever with words, and do a little rhyming in monotone, is music? But I can't ever see a band like Flying Colors because why, now? Actual musicians, writing their own songs and actually playing them is anathema today?

Back to BM. They have better choruses than Glenn Hughes could ever write. I dig GH and BCC but his writing lacks in that regard. Sweet Lady Jane is a prime example. Not that great, the hook, and the lyrics, totally suck. At least they have that working for them. Not sure what any of that means but to me they are doing something right.

A new brand of Power Metal. I totally dig it and would so go see them if they played here.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I dunno, maybe it's just me.
    I think you may be correct.

Hard rock/metal is still alive.

I don't really agree with that. Similar to Beyoncé's dancers? No. One of the things I like about Baby Metal is they DON'T sexualize the girls at all.

I mean, sure maybe you can get aroused by watching my daughter's cheer leading squad... you know, they wear cheer leading outfits, and dance and jump around, and do the splits.... but I would hardly call what they do as sexualizing young girls.
    Well, as someone else said, you're entitled to your opinion. As notallwhowander pointed out, whoever's pulling the strings has done a good job of finding the line, apparently.

Part of the reason there are so many posts, is that there is a lot to be polarized about. Some like them, some don't. Are they real metal or poseur metal? How sexualized are the singers? Then there is the general bafflement that can be induced by Japanese culture in the West. All this gives the thread sticking power - catching more people's attention. Also, the vids themselves have high production values with a big, well-funded, emphasis on spectacle. So one tempted to keep watching the vids to see the spectacle unfold. The more you watch, the more chance of an opinion you want to share popping into your head.

If you have a obscure prog band, one either listens or not. If so, you like it or not. Most people who like it will post, most who don't won't. The thread doesn't stick, and people forget or miss it. The vids themselves are usually low-budget affairs, mainly a vehicle for the music. So either the music connects or people move on.

I find it disheartening that a topic like this gets 3 pages of posts and yet someone trying to post about a lesser known prog-related band can barely muster 5 or 6 posts.
    In a world where Babymetal gets such extensive discussion in a prog forum (note also that dedicated metalheads don't even give a shit), everything looks hopeless for the future of innovative music...
    Last edited by spacefreak; 04-01-2016 at 02:03 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Having seen Babymetal live they wear black shorts under their dresses, so unless a flash of knee is your thing there really isn't anything to see.

However what they do put on is a great show and that is why Wembley Arena is sold out tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    In a world where Babymetal gets such extensive discussion in a prog forum (note also that dedicated metalheads don't even give a shit), everything looks hopeless for the future of innovative music...
    When I saw them at Brixton Academy in November 2014 the vast majority there were "metalheads" and I expect it will be the same at Wembley Arena tomorrow, so I wouldn't say that is true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They then sell the black shorts on their web site.
    I always thought this forum was better than that, I was obviously wrong. What an appalling comment to make.