Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Cruise to the Edge 2017

Friday's pool performance was stellar, Squids. Your tribute to J W was touching, and I loved it. Bravo! The SOC KG tune was brilliant too. Thanks for that. You nailed it.

Loved all the music, such great musicianship all around. Pure bliss for me as I realized, in four short days, I was experiencing live performances of the music of my life - from early Yes and Genesis, to FAT. Giddy as a school girl was she!

Surprises were a Transatlantic set and a failed Frost* attempt at Milliontown. Nonetheless, Jem made fun of the equipment fail and managed to keep us entertained.

Best like was watching musicians geeking out on other musicians! True respect and admiration all around. It so amazing to see your heroes enjoying shows as much as you.

Least liked the old and crumbling ship. The chop of the sea was high the last day and I hoped the boat wouldn't break apart. I found relief in the thought that God would not bring disaster to the wonderful musicians and folks onboard. No, She wouldn't do that. I will go again next year, cuz I love CTTE. I do think they need a newer, bigger boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    The cruise was awesome. We had so much fun. I don't know how many of you PE people were there for the first night on the pool stage but we did a double set and paid tribute to Greg Lake doing some of his tunes with ELP and all of the songs of In The Court of the Crimson King as a medley with guests like NDV, Sherwood, Sonja Kristina of Curved Air and Leslie Hunt of District 97 plus Durga from my band sang 21st Century Schizoid Man which was really wild. We played the first night and the last night and it all went by so fast. Next year's cruise is a day longer and that's great. I'll be there. Playing what and with who? Well... I shall share at the right time more about that. But I will be on CTTE 2018.
    It was a fantastic show - top to bottom. Glad to hear you will be back for another one - however that works.

I'm thinking of attending my first CTTE next year. I was looking at the CTTE site. Are non-VIP Experience cabins assigned to you or do you get to choose your cabin based on what is left available at time of booking?

Quote Originally Posted by ProgFan View Post
    I'm thinking of attending my first CTTE next year. I was looking at the CTTE site. Are non-VIP Experience cabins assigned to you or do you get to choose your cabin based on what is left available at time of booking?
    Cabins are assigned to you. You pick a level (interior/floor/balcony) and pay the amount for that category, but the actual cabin number itself is assigned a bit later.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Friday's pool performance was stellar, Squids. Your tribute to J W was touching, and I loved it. Bravo! The SOC KG tune was brilliant too. Thanks for that. You nailed it.

Loved all the music, such great musicianship all around. Pure bliss for me as I realized, in four short days, I was experiencing live performances of the music of my life - from early Yes and Genesis, to FAT. Giddy as a school girl was she!

Surprises were a Transatlantic set and a failed Frost* attempt at Milliontown. Nonetheless, Jem made fun of the equipment fail and managed to keep us entertained.

Best like was watching musicians geeking out on other musicians! True respect and admiration all around. It so amazing to see your heroes enjoying shows as much as you.

Least liked the old and crumbling ship. The chop of the sea was high the last day and I hoped the boat wouldn't break apart. I found relief in the thought that God would not bring disaster to the wonderful musicians and folks onboard. No, She wouldn't do that. I will go again next year, cuz I love CTTE. I do think they need a newer, bigger boat.
    Thank you, Chief Brody.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Thank you, Chief Brody.
    -Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water

-Smile you son of a...

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    It was a fantastic show - top to bottom. Glad to hear you will be back for another one - however that works.
    Thanks! 2017 and 2018 are going to be filled with a lot of new music from myself and the various projects and bands I'm involved with (my album "Static", a new Sound of Contact album, McBroom Sisters' Floyd-related album, Tribute To The Lamb with Francis Dunnery, other tributes from Sonic Elements and beyond that I'm working with Steve Hackett on something interesting as well). What will be played live next year I don't know yet. Still working on this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Moraz will debut hIs new trio, iNOW, featuring drummer Virgil Donati and bassist Bunny Brunel. Might be the hottest band on the cruise.
    Did this actually happen?

I'm not sure why, but it was just Patrick on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I'm not sure why, but it was just Patrick on the boat.
    Their one other announced gig didn't happen either. I'm guessing, like his previous-announced band with the Brand X guys in 2012, this trio isn't actually happening either. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Their one other announced gig didn't happen either. I'm guessing, like his previous-announced band with the Brand X guys in 2012, this trio isn't actually happening either. Bummer.
    It is a bummer. I was really looking forward to this. As awesome as Patrick is, we've seen him solo before so we didn't catch his gig though I've heard that in particular his second one was pretty cool. Really wanted to see that trio play.

Mike's band looked like Flying Colors in a photo I saw. Did they do any FC songs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It stopped in Cozumel. I got off the boat just long enough to get my kids a souvenir. Then back to the boat to change into a swimsuit in order to watch Spock's Beard from the hot tub! What a great time. My first time music cruising. I was on board primarily for the Portnoy type bands (NMB, Haken, Pain of Salvation, etc). The pinnacle was watching Mike's band play the 12 steps at end. That was truly incredible.

I am doubtful for next year. other than Marillion and Anathema, not much interests me so far. Will be interesting to see if they bring along some heavier bands again or it Mike resurrects Prog Nation at Sea again and does his own thing. was quite a split in attendees. many were there to either see the nostalgic bands (Yes) or the newer bands (Haken).

Rick

They did an hour or so of FC and then Transatlantic on the opening day. The twelve step stuff was the last day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    That's Moraz for you. And people wonder why Yes don't bring him back.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    That's Moraz for you. And people wonder why Yes don't bring him back.

Henry
    We walked out of his "performance" on the last CTTE if you can call it that. He was there early but went on late, was standing there fiddling with God know's what for a long time, when he finally sat down at the piano he was wearing surgical gloves, and before playing he tossed a large string of pearls into the open piano back, rearranging them every so often as they were resting on the strings. He noodled at the piano for maybe 20 minutes (nothing recognizable) still wearing the gloves, at that time I looked at my wife, she at me, we rose and walked out at the same time, I have no idea what he did after, nor do I care. That is one strange dude for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    We walked out of his "performance" on the last CTTE if you can call it that. He was there early but went on late, was standing there fiddling with God know's what for a long time, when he finally sat down at the piano he was wearing surgical gloves, and before playing he tossed a large string of pearls into the open piano back, rearranging them every so often as they were resting on the strings. He noodled at the piano for maybe 20 minutes (nothing recognizable) still wearing the gloves, at that time I looked at my wife, she at me, we rose and walked out at the same time, I have no idea what he did after, nor do I care. That is one strange dude for sure.
    So interesting how fans seeing the same thing so differently

My wife and I loved his sets

Eccentric?

Sure, but genius

He pounded out the Devil's sermon with bits of Relayer

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post

Eccentric?

Sure, but genius

Too eccentric to work in a band context?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post

Eccentric?

Sure, but genius

Suggested reading: "The Emperor's New Clothes."

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Too eccentric to work in a band context?
    Seems to be, doesn't it?

He could not have been more affable on the boat