Thread: Todd Rundgren VS Andy Partridge Round 270

Todd Rundgren VS Andy Partridge Round 270

Rundgren was on Marc Maron's WTF podcast this week http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod..._todd_rundgren and took more sideswipes at Andy Partridge.
    Partridge has hit back on Twitter and I don't blame him. https://storify.com/scatterkeir/andy...-todd-rundgren

[New thread, didn't want to bring the XTC one down]

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't know there had been any swipes - is this about the mixup of the left and right audio or whatever that was on Skylarking? I'd like to know because although a friend has told me how much she likes Maron's podcasts, I've tried listening to a couple and I find it painful. IMO he's just not funny, and he goes on and on about stuff that just isn't even interesting. To me, anyway.

Maron would definitely be funnier if he were more self-obsessed [slide whistle]

Actually it's all a good listen this time, but if you're only interested in the XTC stuff it's at roughly 1h 23m for 10 minutes. He touches on the reversed polarity at the end of his rant, by which time he's built up enough steam to call that allegation bullshit.

Thanks, that was very interesting. I side with Todd, because his experience is so rich, and it's plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Rundgren was on Marc Maron's WTF podcast this week http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod..._todd_rundgren and took more sideswipes at Andy Partridge.
    Partridge has hit back on Twitter and I don't blame him. https://storify.com/scatterkeir/andy...-todd-rundgren

Even excluding Rundgren's Partridge swipes, this is simply a terrible interview. The interviewer talks more than Rundgren for at least the first 20 minutes, if not more....and regularly does the absolute worse thing an interviewer can do: ask the interview subject questions for which there is only a yes or no answer.

I don't know who this cat is, but he needs, with all due respect, to ask a good question, and then shut the fuck up and let the subject do most of the speaking. Anil Prasad is an absolute master of interview technique, and if anyone ever asks me questions about how to conduct interviews, almost every time I point them in Anil's direction.

There's a reason he and Innerviews are so widely respected.

I meant it was a good listen to the extent that Todd was upbeat and on form. I don't disagree with you otherwise, but Innerviews and WTF aren't really comparable. Maron mostly interviews comedians (he interviewed Obama recently, amirite guys???!!!!!!!) and writers, so it was basically an under-researched, shooting-the-breeze chat with his peers; even though he's a guitarist he's not good on musicians, and he was predictably clueless about Todd. Amazing that it was Maron who requested Todd as a guest really - I guess after 700 podcasts he's picking names at random now.

I'm amazed that Maron's podcast has taken off the way it has, it was so niche for a long time at the start.

I meant it was a good listen to the extent that Todd was upbeat and on form. I don't disagree with you otherwise, but Innerviews and WTF aren't really comparable. Maron mostly interviews comedians (he interviewed Obama recently, amirite guys???!!!!!!!) and writers, so it was basically an under-researched, shooting-the-breeze chat with his peers; even though he's a guitarist he's not good on musicians, and he was predictably clueless about Todd. Amazing that it was Maron who requested Todd as a guest really - I guess after 700 podcasts he's picking names at random now.

I'm amazed that Maron's podcast has taken off the way it has, it was so niche for a long time at the start.
    true,perhaps; I'll admit this is the first time I've encountered WTF, so perhaps when more in his wheelhouse he's a better interviewer. But this one broke so many rules of good interviewing I lost count

After APs response I wonder if this is the beginning or end of something. It obviously still gets to both of them.

Handbags at dawn!

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    After APs response I wonder if this is the beginning or end of something. It obviously still gets to both of them.

Handbags at dawn!
    I guess I need to hear Partidge's side of the story - Rundgren's seemed as though it was the truth, but hard to know.

From what I've read, others have agreed both with Partridge's complaints about Rundgren and Rundgren's complaints about Partridge.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess I need to hear Partidge's side of the story - Rundgren's seemed as though it was the truth, but hard to know.
    If you are on Twitter APs response is under his Tweet Name XTCFans - and it is broken into about 20-25 140-character tweets.

Andy and Todd are two of my favorite writers-musicians of all time. But geez, this was like 30 years ago now. Get over it, both a youse.

If you are on Twitter APs response is under his Tweet Name XTCFans - and it is broken into about 20-25 140-character tweets.
    Thanks, but I'm proud to say I've never even seen Twitter. But I can probably find these on the web.

I just read them - it basically sounds like the same story, just from Partridge's perspective. Which is to say, I don't think they're facts differ, they just don't like each other so each see's the other as an ass, not themselves.

I'm a huge Rundgren fan, but I've always thought he seemed like he'd be a difficult person to get along with., and I can definitely see him as being a bully at times.

I didn't know there was a version of Skylarking with Dear God on it - I only know it as a b-side.

So is there a CD of it that sounds good? I haven't heard the album since my vinyl days, which are long, long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Even excluding Rundgren's Partridge swipes, this is simply a terrible interview. The interviewer talks more than Rundgren for at least the first 20 minutes, if not more....and regularly does the absolute worse thing an interviewer can do: ask the interview subject questions for which there is only a yes or no answer.

I don't know who this cat is, but he needs, with all due respect, to ask a good question, and then shut the fuck up and let the subject do most of the speaking. Anil Prasad is an absolute master of interview technique, and if anyone ever asks me questions about how to conduct interviews, almost every time I point them in Anil's direction.

There's a reason he and Innerviews are so widely respected.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So is there a CD of it that sounds good? I haven't heard the album since my vinyl days, which are long, long gone.
    Get the corrected polarity edition.

Wow and yes. Good for Andy. Anyone who knows me knows i'm a serious Todd lover but it's common knowledge how awful he was, and in exactly the ways Andy mentions. There really is plenty of historical evidence including commentary from his friends Kasim, Roger and others. So... for him to dodge that is silly. Also, he really does get kind of bitchy there, even now. Some things never change, eh? Tut tut. Right on, Andy

I hope he can let it go, so that Andy doesn't have to actually rip him a new one via flames, which i suspect he'd be good at. But then, he did get a feud started with John Lennon, so... whatever

I'm disappointed in my man Todd, though. I thought he'd outgrown that. Certainly, Andy was gracious after some time and has been quite civil, so far. Needless to say, Andy was plenty alpha himself back then, which i think he acknowledges. But as someone else here said - c'mon Todd. Get over it already.

Thanks for sharing this. Geeeeez
    Last edited by Polypet; 03-29-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...