Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brazilian Progressive Rock in the Seventies

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the band "Zil" yet? I am only aware of one tremendously good CD from around 1990 or so. And good luck finding anything about them on line (I haven't checked in the last year).

Perhaps they might be jazz-fusion instead of progressive Rock...but I hate labels so all I care about is that it is great music.

do you know the name of any musician involved or the state or city they came from?

Quote Originally Posted by remoraes View Post
    do you know the name of any musician involved or the state or city they came from?
    I just made a Post-it note so that I check the CD when i get home. I'll have that info for you tomorrow. And it might have been from the later 1980's. I'll get that info as well.
    (I originally found a 4-song E.P. aimed at DJ's at a small music store and liked it so much I tracked down the full CD after that.)

I just made a Post-it note so that I check the CD when i get home. I'll have that info for you tomorrow. And it might have been from the later 1980's. I'll get that info as well.
    (I originally found a 4-song E.P. aimed at DJ's at a small music store and liked it so much I tracked down the full CD after that.)
    I am kind of old, and I never heard about this! Interesting. let me know and if I can track them down, I can bring info about any development, if this existed!

Here it is : www.discogs.com/Zil-Zil-/
    I wonder if a related band is named Bra?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Here it is : www.discogs.com/Zil-Zil-/
    I wonder if a related band is named Bra?
    https://www.discogs.com/Plat-Du-Jour...elease/1610178

I am kind of old, and I never heard about this! Interesting. let me know and if I can track them down, I can bring info about any development, if this existed!
    Cool! I really like the disc and it would be great to spread the goodness...

Definitely NOT the CD I am referring to.

you are talking about this, right?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2669478-Zil-3

they have a Lp and a CD, they are related to a band called Boca Livre, very vocal directed, with nice songs + some people from jazz scene from Rio de Janeiro from late 80's

I have never seen this before, although I know the musicians. In discogs there is an LP and a CD.

thanks for the tip!

"IF" they sound like I imagined (with strong Weather Report and Spyro Gyra influences), you might want to check the records by Nico Assumpssão, that played with these guys at the same peiod

https://www.discogs.com/artist/681292-Nico-Assumpção

Well, I see the Discogs link I posted didn't work. It was the one posted by remoraes. Everything other than typing seems to be much harder on a phone.

you are talking about this, right?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2669478-Zil-3

they have a Lp and a CD, they are related to a band called Boca Livre, very vocal directed, with nice songs + some people from jazz scene from Rio de Janeiro from late 80's

I have never seen this before, although I know the musicians. In discogs there is an LP and a CD.

thanks for the tip!

"IF" they sound like I imagined (with strong Weather Report and Spyro Gyra influences), you might want to check the records by Nico Assumpssão, that played with these guys at the same peiod

https://www.discogs.com/artist/681292-Nico-Assumpção
    YES!
    The CD on the second line (with the "Zil" logo centered) is the one I am speaking of.
    And while the "Weather Report/Spyro Gyra influences" are kind of there, the band is quite distinct. It's been several years since I listened so I'll spin it tonight and see what might be a closer match. The Zil vocals are very distinctive...if there are influences I'd say sort of what Metheny used on his classic mid-career records.

Great job researching!

EDIT: I will check out Nico's stuff.
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 09-26-2017 at 07:52 PM.

YES!
    The CD on the second line (with the "Zil" logo centered) is the one I am speaking of.
    And while the "Weather Report/Spyro Gyra influences" are kind of there, the band is quite distinct. It's been several years since I listened so I'll spin it tonight and see what might be a closer match. The Zil vocals are very distinctive...if there are influences I'd say sort of what Metheny used on his classic mid-career records.

Great job researching!

EDIT: I will check out Nico's stuff.
    if you like the vocals... well you should check Boca Livre, the band with Claudio Nucci and Zé Renato, more song/pop oriented, but very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Perhaps someone like Marcello Marinone at AltrOck might be interested in Clara, but I guess Barnabé would like to see his entire catalog issued - and in more than 1000 copies per title.

I dunno.

it is more complex than that. Once I offered him to release some of his titles or a new in Carbon-7, as Guy Segers asked me to put them in touch. Arrigo told me (it was the 1st time I talk to him): that man is my manager set the contract with him!

It seems does not matter to him if the CDs are in print or not.

Gigante Negão was released by chance! A soundman was doing sound in an open air concert and Arrigo look at him and said:

we worked together already, right?

(S) yeah, during Gigante Negão concerts

(A) ok, I did not like that project

(S) I have a very nice recording of some of the nights and it was great!

(A) really? I do not remember!

so, Arrigo listened to the his music and agreed it was good and a short 1000 copies were done and that is it!

He is very nice, but complex, just like a lot of humans!

:o)

And since I saw them already mentioned, I’d agree that I wouldn’t call Secos e Molhados “prog,” but I really like them anyway. That first album has some of the most stunningly beautiful folk-rock songs ever produced by a South American band. Highest recommendation.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    And since I saw them already mentioned, I’d agree that I wouldn’t call Secos e Molhados “prog,” but I really like them anyway. That first album has some of the most stunningly beautiful folk-rock songs ever produced by a South American band. Highest recommendation.
    totally agreed!

Do you know Ney Matogrosso solo records? The stuff he did just after Secos e Molhados is very nice! In Brasil there is a CD box set with 6 CDs gathering all his work from 70's, worth to get if you like Secos & Molhados that much.

Haven’t heard much of his solo stuff, but there was a thread about Secos e Molhados a while back where they got a lot of love. Lovely music and for sure a unique visual style.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Haven’t heard much of his solo stuff, but there was a thread about Secos e Molhados a while back where they got a lot of love. Lovely music and for sure a unique visual style.
    I like very much this album with a band called Aquarela Carioca, which has a line up with cello, bass, guitar, sax and pandeiro (brazilian tamborine), the last one replaces the drum set. If you follow the link you can list to their whole CD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2E...u54kZmE9jA1bsz

Holy mole!
    I just listened to the first four tracks of Mahtrak's Panorama CD (featuring keyboards by our very own pmrviana). Superb stuff! It really knocked my socks off! I'd categorize the first 4 tracks as more fusion than progressive but labels are not my main interest. Fabulous music IS my interest and this is IT, baby!

You should be very, very proud of this CD, Paulo!
    Maravilhoso!!

Thank you so much, you're very kind! Comments like these are what makes it all worth it...
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Thank you so much, you're very kind! Comments like these are what makes it all worth it...
    I did listen to the rest of the CD and again, I am extremely impressed. To me, the second half leans more towards the progressive side of things. I really like the blend of fusion and progressive. Track 6 has a hint of the band Camel (your keyboard work and the guitar work by your band mate) and that is a good thing. Tracks 9 and 11 had a slight feel of Genesis. But i want to stress that the entire CD has a unique feel. Unlike some bands that show a bit too much resemblance to well-know bands, Panorama feels like...Mahtrak!

Your drummer is very talented and very inventive. I play and I would be proud to have 10% of his talent. The recording of the drums is first rate. I like the various percussion elements too. Your keyboard tracks are excellent. The tone of each layer and your clever playing is first rate. The excellent bass work holds it all together.

It really is a superb CD; I look forward to many more listens and I will encourage my pals to buy it.