Thread: Phil Collins returns to the stage

Phil Collins returns to the stage

A week ago already & no threads?

He sounds really good. Happy to see/hear this.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Good start, Phil. You sound a bit tentative here and there, but you are back in the game.

What I'd like you to to do now, your body allowing, is get back on the drums and start practicing. Up to you of course. You may not want to or be able to and that's fine. Thanks for the inspiration to this point.

Did he do Supper's Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Did he do Supper's Ready?
    No but the encore was a 20 minute drum duet that led into "Duke's End/Duke's Travels." Interspersed were quotes from "Cinema Show", "Los Endos" and "The Fountain of Salmacis".

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Somehow he got them all this far.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    No but the encore was a 20 minute drum duet that led into "Duke's End/Duke's Travels." Interspersed were quotes from "Cinema Show", "Los Endos" and "The Fountain of Salmacis".
    Phil's son Nick played drums. Here is the drum duets portion. Not quite leading into "DE/DT" or "Los Endos" but as close a nod to the G-men there was all night, even with (what looks like in the videos) Daryl Stuermer on guitar.

Edit- The band was: Nathan East (Bass), Brad Cole (Keyboards), Daryl Stuermer (Guitars), Luis Conte (Percussion), Nick Collins (Drums) and Gerald Albright (Saxophone).
    Last edited by Obscured; 03-18-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Banned

Phil Collins returns to the stage

Absolutely not amazing. Sorry but there are Rock School students that would fry Sir Nick. Great production though.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Absolutely not amazing. Sorry but there are Rock School students that would fry Sir Nick. Great production though.

I will have to take your word on that... never have seen School of Rock... having said that the kid is 13... 14??? And his Dad was a beast at his best. Anyway I guess Simon was not available... LOL. That would have been cool to see Nick with Simon! I do like Simon's drumming on his solo LP's.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If he was getting back to it just to perform his solo music, I'm happy for him personally, but I couldn't give a toss about the music.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I will have to take your word on that... never have seen School of Rock... having said that the kid is 13... 14??? And his Dad was a beast at his best. Anyway I guess Simon was not available... LOL. That would have been cool to see Nick with Simon! I do like Simon's drumming on his solo LP's.
    Simon and Phil began drumming at 5 years of age. Phil was a monster of a drummer. Simon has crafted sound similar to his dad, but doesn't display that jazz level of drumming his dad had. I have a negative attitude towards nepotism in entertainment which lets average to the stage. On the other hand I don't hate nepotism if it makes it easy for top talent to get known. Simon is pretty good and he has a machine driven by Dave Kerzner behind him, and the production skills of Nick Davis who engineered for Genesis. They crafted the modern prog wall of sound, but it's cold from a musicianship level common to the likes of Classic prog. Genesis was not just great craftwork, but also top musicianship. If I was Phil Collins, I would do what he has done, but it's not something I like, nor the path I preferred that he go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I though for a kid of his age, performing possibly for the first time in front of such a large crowd, he sounded pretty good. I have seen the School of Rock kids and they were great. A lot of them were a bit older than Nick Collins. Either way, the kid has potential and if the clips are any indication, he performed admirably along side a lot of professionals.