Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1361

Thread: Anderson/Stolt- "Invention of Knowledge"

Here's the quote from Roine:

Anderson / Stolt 2: "we have already started mapping out our next album."

Anderson / Stolt IoK re-release: "Right now I'm mixing alternative takes, 24/96kHz and 5.1 surround mixes of the Anderson/Stolt album for a LTD edition big art book of this album . It sounds insanely good at 24/96 and the mixes are cleaned up and with way less compression - so dynamics are staggering. A must have for all Jon & all HiFi fans."

Old man of prog
    [QUOTE=Rufus;666417]Here's the quote from Roine:

Anderson / Stolt 2: "we have already started mapping out our next album."

Anderson / Stolt IoK re-release: "Right now I'm mixing alternative takes, 24/96kHz and 5.1 surround mixes of the Anderson/Stolt album for a LTD edition big art book of this album . It sounds insanely good at 24/96 and the mixes are cleaned up and with way less compression - so dynamics are staggering. A must have for all Jon & all HiFi fans."[/QUOTE

2 channel 24/96 PLEASE

Good news, as this album has really grown on me. I'm surprised how much mileage of gotten out of it. Pretty perfect music for a glorious summer morning. I find every track to be very well written and quite beautiful. My only slight complaint, is... would like more instrumental moments, the instrumental sections are pretty glorious, and to me so much singing, even by a great singer like Jon, needs perhaps more breaks. But that's just a minor quibble. Hope they can match the quality if a 2nd album comes to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Good news, as this album has really grown on me. I'm surprised how much mileage of gotten out of it. Pretty perfect music for a glorious summer morning. I find every track to be very well written and quite beautiful. My only slight complaint, is... would like more instrumental moments, the instrumental sections are pretty glorious, and to me so much singing, even by a great singer like Jon, needs perhaps more breaks. But that's just a minor quibble. Hope they can match the quality if a 2nd album comes to fruition.
    What he said.
    The Prog Corner

I will certainly buy this deluxe package. I've revisited this record many times since it came out and it sounds better and better to me as I become familiar with it. I also hope a second effort by this pair has a little more instrumental development - not as much wall to wall singing. I'm looking forward to hearing the revised mix - I could tell there was some great drumming in there, for example, but the drums were really buried in the mix. I wonder why they didn't reduce the compression the first time.

Too early to get excited for A/S 2? Never! Few tidbits on Facebook from Jon and Roine

JA:
    wow!!!! so happy a lot of you know it, Roine and I just started the next one together, it's sounding wonderful..it will take it's own time to be ready, but I love how we work together

RS:
    Next album is in the works - we make nice progress. Very happy about it - Jon's voice is now back in top shape (at 72 !!) - We work on a super-monster-epic-track. - Hey- it's prog & we owe it to you - and us.
    Yep - we're both excited - All going well - and much smoother/faster these days - very promising times ....

And Stolt answered a few questions in the comments section:

Will it be same musicians who played on IOK working with you on this next one?
    RS: Most likely - with one or two new additions - can't give away anything yet - but it is shaping up very,very nicely......

More instrumental passages in the new one?
    RS: absolutely possible - Jon himself suggested that too - and my singing too in between - (even if there was plenty of my voice as backing vocal on Invention - I personally envision a few more naked scaled down-to-earth sections too -

Critical response to IOK:
    RS: Hmm - 'old hat' - some critics think Jon can do nothing good outside of YES - in fact he's done great stuff with Vangelis - and some very fine solo albums , Olias, Change We Must, City of Angels, - I guess the real problem is that some critics do not take the time - a 1 or 2 listen will not "reveal" an album like Invention. That said - we've had about 90% fantastic reviews - and sales better than most prog albums these days - so a success regardless. Most important ; Jon & I -plus record company are very happy with result

Deluxe Version of IoK
    RS: The Deluxe version is indeed real - but is just half ready since graphics and the 5.1 need to be finished. The 24bit/96kHz mixes are done and sounds fantastic - It's just that the creation of the new album has taken over a bit - as I suppose both me and Jon are excited about creating new music even more. But it WILL come in 2017 - it's just a question of timing.

I'm certainly happy about this since IoK is an album I still revisit fairly frequently. Was listening to it this morning as a matter of fact. Excited to hear about Stolt singing on the next one. Surprised to hear he said he sings backup on the first one. That is the one weak spot to me. With Daniel and Nad and Roine all having very unique voices, the backup vox on IoK sound surprisingly generic to me. There is only one spot in "We are Truth" where I thought that yes that did sound like Daniel. The rest of the time I don't think it sounds like any of them. Squire and Howe had unique voices in Yes, I think the same could happen here with Roine, Nad and Daniel if their voices can actually be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

JA:
    wow!!!! so happy a lot of you know it, Roine and I just started the next one together, it's sounding wonderful..it will take it's own time to be ready, but I love how we work together
    So Anderson is done with the ARW album!

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Too early to get excited for A/S 2? Never! Few tidbits on Facebook from Jon and Roine

Critical response to IOK:
    RS: Hmm - 'old hat' - some critics think Jon can do nothing good outside of YES - in fact he's done great stuff with Vangelis - and some very fine solo albums , Olias, Change We Must, City of Angels, - I guess the real problem is that some critics do not take the time - a 1 or 2 listen will not "reveal" an album like Invention. That said - we've had about 90% fantastic reviews - and sales better than most prog albums these days - so a success regardless. Most important ; Jon & I -plus record company are very happy with result

city of angels a great solo album? highly debatable but saying that but not song of seven or animation?! interesting perspective

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    So Anderson is done with the ARW album!

Perhaps they'll bring Roine in on bass and become WARS.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    city of angels a great solo album? highly debatable but saying that but not song of seven or animation?! interesting perspective
    I liked City of Angels a lot when it came out, although not as much as Animation and Song of Seven and later realized I didn't care for the production after I was finished binging on it as I do with new Yes related albums.

"Hurry Home" and "It's on Fire" on In the City of Angels sounded far better as songs on Change We Must.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And just like each and every Stolt epic which extends from 32:47 to 41:09 gets to be exactly 8:22 more progressive in duration, WARS will be precisely 25% more added progression than what was ARW.

Inkredibel logik.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Is Hells is their best album by far.

At least Jon remembers Roine's name now
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    At least Jon remembers Roine's name now
    Yeah, baby steps for now. One day he'll be pointing at someone in the audience and saying "Roine Stolt! He's there! Yeah!" and Steve Howe will point out that he's actually standing right behind him.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've given this multiple tries and outside of a few moments when Roine is soloing in that style of his, I find it utterly boring. I can't say that it's bad - it just bores me. There is music happening. Someone is playing. Someone is singing words. That's about it. The melodies are lacking the spark of an interesting arrangement. I just can't anymore.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I think Roine did a masterful job considering the lack of real melodies and real songs that he had to work with.

I still tend to start listening to this album at track #6 ("Everybody Heals") which I think is a strong tune and probably should have been just a single track combined with the next two. The music before this point seems somewhat on the meandering side. But to be fair, I have only heard that beginning portion of the album about 3 times. The last time (just a couple months ago) I did enjoy it more than I had previously. I'm not sure if that's a weakness of the music, it's just that I didn't really care for it.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I think Roine did a masterful job considering the lack of real melodies and real songs that he had to work with.
    It does have melodies but it's all so repetitive and unmemorable after you've heard it, overlong too of course.

I like this. But I don't usually enjoy anything that Roine does so what do I know?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Sometimes I love music with an ethereal floating non-structured presentation. This is one. Sounded boring at first, but now is pure magic to me. Lots of great interweaving melodies, just no overcooked ones such as "All Good People" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    It does have melodies but it's all so repetitive and unmemorable after you've heard it, overlong too of course.
    For me, it's about some great themes and variation. Works for me.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    For me, it's about some great themes and variation. Works for me.

Henry
    Same here. I really like this one, even though it took me some time to absorb it all.

I've tried, but it just doesn't click. It could've been so much better with just a little effort.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

I liked it the first time I heard it and still do. Of the four semi-epics that make up the album, I still like track 3 the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    It could've been so much better with just a little effort.
    Not sure what you mean by that.

I think it's plenty great as it is.