Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson/Stolt- "Invention of Knowledge"

Anderson/Stolt- "Invention of Knowledge"

Jon announced on his Facebook page yesterday that the long-awaited collaboration between him and Roine Stolt is set for a June release and is entitled The Invention Of Knowledge.

Am I the only one excited by this news?
    The Prog Corner

I'm somewhat curious, but I'll need to hear a fair chunk of it before I decide whether or not it's worth getting. I haven't been all that impressed with Jon's original output in recent years though he seems to do well enough on live retreads of Yes material, so ... not "auto buy" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Jon announced on his Facebook page yesterday that the long-awaited collaboration between him and Roine Stolt is set for a June release and is entitled The Invention Of Knowledge.

Excited? no. Curious? yes!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

No, not the only one. Had no idea that this was even happening!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jon's mentioned it before - it was last year, I believe - but this is yet another instance of "I'll believe it when I see it/hear it" caution that one needs to adopt when considering all the projects Jon gets involved in and how many of them actually come to fruition. That said, I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Jon's mentioned it before - it was last year, I believe - but this is yet another instance of "I'll believe it when I see it/hear it" caution that one needs to adopt when considering all the projects Jon gets involved in and how many of them actually come to fruition. That said, I would love to be pleasantly surprised.
    I generally take this point of view, too, Bruce. But given a title and release date, plus the fact that Roine Stolt is involved, give me more hope than usual.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm open to this.
    For many years, Jon Anderson's singing prevented me from getting into Yes music, but I'm in the process of going beyond that and I'm starting to actually enjoy some of his contributions. From what I hear, he probably benefits from working with people with strong musical ideas.
    Roine Stolt is obviously very talented, but I feel he often lacks focus or restraint. So I wonder what the interaction between these two people will produce. fingers crossed.

This sounds like it good be a really good combination. Jon's voice and Roine's playing. And fusing their compositional skills... yes I love the idea!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Given that Roine dedicated "The Flower King" to Jon, seems like a natural pairing. (i'll have to check, but on my original '94 pressing, I believe the dedication was written to "John" Anderson).

"The Invention of Knowledge"? Are you sure? I heard the title was "Better June 2023 than Never".

Now this kind of collaboration sounds promising. I'm very curious.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm interested. I think the combination of Jon's vocals and Roine's vocals will drive some people mad, but I like both their voices. If Roine's really on board then I agree his buy-in may help the project reach fruition. I get the impression he likes to block out his time fairly well in advance, for scheduling and financial reasons. Whereas Jon just does whatever the sun tells him to do. Or the Earth, or Light, or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Whereas Jon just does whatever the sun tells him to do. Or the Earth, or Light, or whatever...
    As long as he's not listening to his Uber app, we should be OK.

Knew nothing of this till now, but am very hopeful for some quality material.

Very excited about this!! This has been rumored for over a year. Roine has dropped hints about it here and there on Facebook and the Flower Kings mailing list. I think even he was keeping it sort of a secret in case it never came to fruition. He posted a few weeks ago another hint saying it would be coming 'soon' to our record players. He had 'soon' in quotes for the Yes hint. From previous postings Roine said it has been an extremely rewarding project both personally and musically. So besides composing with one of his idols it seems like he is very pleased with how it has turned out.

Great potential here and I think it is a great pairing. Jon has lots of ideas that he sometimes has trouble actually completing. Roine is very professional and a prolific composer himself so he can take those ideas and fragments and make the pieces whole. This could be something very special

Does someone have any details about how this was done? I'm guessing Roine was the main composer/producer and sent Jon the music over the intertubes. Jon then came up with vocal parts, recorded them and sent them back for Roine to work into the final mixes. Does that sound about right?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This sounds good, I have long thought that RS should have worked with JA in some capacity. At last, a Jon Anderson project that
    a) I'm interested in and
    b) Might actually get released

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Does someone have any details about how this was done? I'm guessing Roine was the main composer/producer and sent Jon the music over the intertubes. Jon then came up with vocal parts, recorded them and sent them back for Roine to work into the final mixes. Does that sound about right?
    There are some hints from Jon in this interview from 2014

He was friends with a guy I’ve met who lives in Sweden who’s a beautiful guitarist and musician. So I said yes, because I have these long-form pieces that need to be evolved by somebody, so I sent them to him — and lo and behold, he did a magnificent job.

That’s very exciting. Have you made much progress?

Yes. I said to the guy, “Work on these pieces. There’s a 20-minute, 15-minute, 10-minute works that I had,” and he came up with a flourish of music for these pieces. He really upgraded them and evolved them. So I said, “OK, now I have some really serious stuff.” (Laughs.) So he’s excited because he’s got two, three months off now, and I’m gonna send him some stuff that could be pretty wild. It’s really jumping into that progression of music. Not so much a “prog-rock” album but a progression of music. And it’s just one of those things. You think, “Wow, I’m glad I held onto that dream from 10 years ago about installations.”

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Yes. I said to the guy, “Work on these pieces. There’s a 20-minute, 15-minute, 10-minute works that I had,” and he came up with a flourish of music for these pieces. He really upgraded them and evolved them. So I said, “OK, now I have some really serious stuff.” (Laughs.) So he’s excited because he’s got two, three months off now, and I’m gonna send him some stuff that could be pretty wild. It’s really jumping into that progression of music. Not so much a “prog-rock” album but a progression of music. And it’s just one of those things. You think, “Wow, I’m glad I held onto that dream from 10 years ago about installations.”

[/I]
    OK, cool. So it's sort of like back in the Tales or Relayer days, whereas instead of handing his rough ideas over to 4 guys Jon handed them over to 1.

My next question is: will this be just Roine and Jon, or did Roine bring in other folks to play on it?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This is pretty exciting. A Jon and Roine collaboration has a real chance of being something quite special.

I will definitely give this a good listen

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    live retreads of Yes material
    Roine's got those down pretty well ...

I'm sure whatever they've come up with will be something beautiful, amazing, wonderful, extraordinary, beautiful.

He named his dog "Harvey"?!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I doubt anyone here knows these details yet. Is the album even created yet? (Though it would certainly be interesting to know once it's done.)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I doubt anyone here knows these details yet. Is the album even created yet? (Though it would certainly be interesting to know once it's done.)
    If they're talking about a June release, it is probably recorded and mastered by now.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/