Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1361

Thread: Anderson/Stolt- "Invention of Knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I listened to Everybody Heals, Better By Far, and Golden Light last night and I found myself really impressed with how those went together, how they were all put together.
    agree - I listened to Everybody Heals this morning and thought the same thing - these 3 fairly different pieces really blend well together. Golden Light bringing back some of the themes from the first movement. This might be my favorite song right now (although I like them all)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Looks like it's up at Progstreaming. Let us know your impressions!

http://progstreaming.com/extended/pa...n+Of+Knowledge

STILL waiting for my copy to arrive, ugh! Apparently, it's been languishing at a US postal service facility in Los Angeles since Saturday. Tracking still says it will arrive this past Monday. Really helpful there. Oh well, I'm in no hurry I guess.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    IoK is something that struck me the first time. I'm amazed with the production approach that such a fine piece of work was accomplished. I'm just moving through my second listen and plan on many more. It's great that Jon has come back so late in a career to create such meaningful music. As noted, this calls for repeated listens.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    (hell, he might well be lurking on here)
    That's why I said he was crap but then added that I thought he was good. Totally confused he'll be.

I don't care if his opinions on an album differ from mine, but his ridiculous whining about Jon Anderson in that video is horrible. Makes him sound like David Brent from The Office, or everyone who's ever told me that Yes and Anderson are pathetic. Calling us saps for liking it is very upsetting.

Well, I've listened to IoK 5 or 6 times. Having the chance to get it on vinyl, I decided to upgrade my vinyl copy of The Yes Album instead. What's wrong with me. Do I need help?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Well, I've listened to IoK 5 or 6 times. Having the chance to get it on vinyl, I decided to upgrade my vinyl copy of The Yes Album instead. What's wrong with me. Do I need help?
    Nope no help needed. I bought IOK and on first listen was pretty impressed. I still like parts of it. But the wall-to-wall Anderson voice puts me off a bit. I can listen to a song or two at a time but it wears on me if I try to listen to the whole album in one sitting. As others have said, the lack of adventurous instrumental passages detracts from the album. That said, I think Roine did a very credible job piecing the album together.

I think what was a decent effort could have been a minor classic if there was more just straight music and less vocals. But it was the best thing
    Anderson has done in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbytheriver View Post
    Nope no help needed. I bought IOK and on first listen was pretty impressed. I still like parts of it. But the wall-to-wall Anderson voice puts me off a bit. I can listen to a song or two at a time but it wears on me if I try to listen to the whole album in one sitting. As others have said, the lack of adventurous instrumental passages detracts from the album. That said, I think Roine did a very credible job piecing the album together.

I think what was a decent effort could have been a minor classic if there was more just straight music and less vocals. But it was the best thing
    Anderson has done in a long time.
    When I first hear of this, I thought it would be a perfect match but maybe I was expecting to much here. It's not that it's a bad album, it just seems rather flat. Was hoping for more peaks if this makes sense. There is a lot of JA here and maybe Ronie was simply being respectful to a legend. If there is another album, and I hope there is, it may be more even as in musical and vocal content.

Having the chance to get it on vinyl, I decided to upgrade my vinyl copy of The Yes Album instead. What's wrong with me. Do I need help?
    Anyone buying vinyl needs help, yes.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    STILL waiting for my copy to arrive, ugh! Apparently, it's been languishing at a US postal service facility in Los Angeles since Saturday. Tracking still says it will arrive this past Monday. Really helpful there. Oh well, I'm in no hurry I guess.
    I hear you! This thread is at FORTY PAGES and many of us haven't rec'd our copy yet. Mine came a few hours ago. I look forward to spinning it (but the comments about wall-to-wall vocals have me a bit worried...)

(And Staun, I cannot imagine ever again being tortured by clicks, pops, distortion and all-around horrors of vinyl. I spent the first 26 years of my life with vinyl and that was more than enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    He doesn't like the kind of new prog that gets discussed around here, that's true. But he does like things that are...I guess "progressive"; stuff like Tortoise, Laurie Anderson and the more ambient/electronic side of music. I kind of share his opinion on the modern prog, but I don't feel so strongly or angry about it.
    I never knew there was one specific "kind of new prog [...] discussed around here" (if anything there are a dozen-or-so various and sometimes antagonistic perspectives reflected), but he's right to feel dubious about the stereotypical perceptions of worth and template as far as eternal reproductions of old times go. Too bad about him losing face so utterly when attempting to shell his verses concerning Trout Mask Replica, after which it gets seriously difficult to take him seriously (pun).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

He has trashed some stuff that I do like, liked some stuff that did nothing for me, and all sorts of variations between...doesn't really irk me or wind me up personally. Not any more or less than some of the amateur comedians here on Chez PE, if we're being honest here

He was much easier to listen to in that video. It's often more engaging to hear someone talk about something they like particularly if they know the background of the artist or can talk about various projects the artist has been involved with, etc. Especially after you run out of ways to say "this is awesome" or "this sucks".
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    IoK is something that struck me the first time. I'm amazed with the production approach that such a fine piece of work was accomplished. I'm just moving through my second listen and plan on many more. It's great that Jon has come back so late in a career to create such meaningful music. As noted, this calls for repeated listens.
    I just downloaded it from iTunes. Listen to like seven songs in the car. The other guy clearly understands what it means to be a superb accompanist and to make the singer sound good. That's always the goal of every accompanist.

This is very dense, thick, heaping slabs of music, with the accompaniment fully and service of the vocalist. Definitely repeated listenings are necessary.

It's amazing how well Anderson's voice has held up, relatively speaking, compared to many other singers who have entered their 8th decade on this Earth.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    It's amazing how well Anderson's voice has held up, relatively speaking, compared to many other singers who have entered their 8th decade on this Earth.
    Yeah, pretty cool given his move back from recovery from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah, pretty cool given his move back from recovery from a few years ago.
    It sounds much better than it did only a handful of years ago. Not doing a ton of touring seems to have really helped him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No, if you already have it in any other format, why would you need it in vinyl too?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    Hey, I've been buying loads of vinyl lately!

Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I think he meant this:

Just gave it a listen. To me, it just sounds like Anderson's stream-of-conciousness meanderings grafted onto Stolt's accompaniement. There really isn't enough melody to warrant any thematic development. The guitar playing seems to ape Howe at times although Stolt's own style comes through regularly. I found myself wanting Anderson to stop singing and let the band breathe. This record will likely remain a curiosity for me and I doubt I'll return to it. I'm glad many people like it. It is amazing that a 70 year old man can sing in that register!

I've listened to it about a dozen times and I'm starting to notice more cool musical moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Not doing a ton of touring seems to have really helped him.
    One could also posit that his recent live work with JLP has strengthened his voice. All singers do their best somewhere between too much or too little work.

And for those put off by the lack of fireworks on IOK, I'd observe that IMO Anderson has always been a reluctant rock singer. Wasn't that one of the factors leading him to quit Yes in '79? That's what made that band work -- you had Mr Airy Fairy on one side and the Balls to the Wall Bros on the other. I'm sure even Roine understands this, but A) he wasn't gong to force that kind of edge on Anderson (at least for this record), and B) TFK (and Roine in particular) were never as much a rawk band as Yes to begin with. That's why my original reaction to IOK rings true for me: it sounds like Jon fronting TFK.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Henry
    Thanks Henry. I'll write a heartfelt I'm sorry note to each and every one of my vinyl albums saying I'm sorry for buying them. Since there are so many, do you think I should use the rubber stamp method? Actually I like the personal touch of a hand written note instead.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I've listened to it about a dozen times and I'm starting to notice more cool musical moments.
    Likewise. I've been focusing in on the last 4 tracks since yesterday. I'm digging the vibe on the first 3 minutes of 'Know..' and the instrumental break half way through that song.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No, if you already have it in any other format, why would you need it in vinyl too?
    Well Dr., sometimes there is a lag between cd, download and vinyl. At times there is a release that you just have to hear now and can't wait for your medium of choice. This album was one of them. I got the download and placed it on the Ipod. Now of course, the vinyl is available and I will at some point pick it up. Off the top of my head, the last album I didn't wait for vinyl was IQ, RoB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I hear you! This thread is at FORTY PAGES and many of us haven't rec'd our copy yet. Mine came a few hours ago. I look forward to spinning it (but the comments about wall-to-wall vocals have me a bit worried...)

(And Staun, I cannot imagine ever again being tortured by clicks, pops, distortion and all-around horrors of vinyl. I spent the first 26 years of my life with vinyl and that was more than enough.)
    I'm sorry your experiences with vinyl hasn't been what you hoped. I've been spinning the black circles my entire life and given a choice, can't imagine anything else. Doesn't matter though, just keep listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Hang in there Steve983. We'll show our silver plated numeric algorithmic friends here, we aren't going down easily.