Thread: Miles Ahead: Miles Davis Movie

Miles Ahead: Miles Davis Movie

Saw the trailer for this today -- Cheadle looks like he nailed it.

I know a lot of people are going to hate this movie sight unseen just because of the apparent large amount of fiction applied to it. As a Miles fan, I don't care. I think this will be very entertaining and if it turns young people on to Miles' music, so much the better.

I was really looking forward to a straight biopic, but from what I've read, that's not at all what this is (despite it still being called a "biopic").
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    I know a lot of people are going to hate this movie sight unseen just because of the apparent large amount of fiction applied to it. As a Miles fan, I don't care. I think this will be very entertaining and if it turns young people on to Miles' music, so much the better.
    YUP!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Beware of Mr. Davis

I agree, whatever it takes to get people interested in his music. However, this film is trash and I'm sorry for this. A chance to do something really good has, once again, gone by the boards. IMHO of course.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I agree, whatever it takes to get people interested in his music. However, this film is trash and I'm sorry for this. A chance to do something really good has, once again, gone by the boards. IMHO of course.
    Agreed. I haven't seen it yet, but I've read all the reviews and know what it's about (it's a caper film with a fictionalized plot) and therefore feel capable of disagreeing with the premise. Even if I end up enjoying it, the kind of film that I was hoping for (a real biopic) wasn't made here, and because of that I think this was a lost opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed. I haven't seen it yet, but I've read all the reviews and know what it's about (it's a caper film with a fictionalized plot) and therefore feel capable of disagreeing with the premise. Even if I end up enjoying it, the kind of film that I was hoping for (a real biopic) wasn't made here, and because of that I think this was a lost opportunity.
    Thanks Facelift for stating it better than I.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'll probably still want to see the movie once I can see it on cable or Netflix, but I'm not shelling out money to see it in the theater.

The album that's getting released to go along with the movie (not the MD anthology) looks to be about as bad as I'd feared.

Oh boy. Sorry to hear this. I enjoyed the James Brown story. It is what it is. But to me, this is bigger. This deserved some serious thought in an overall better surrounding and motif. I've read the reviews and I continue to be disappointed. This is something that should have been great. I think I'm still missing the mark on what I'm really trying to say on this project. What should be said.

The music sounds good, so I'm in.

There's a million bio's out on the real Miles Davis story including his own.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The music sounds good, so I'm in.

There's a million bio's out on the real Miles Davis story including his own.
    Agreed but something like this on the big screen could have informed quite a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Agreed but something like this on the big screen could have informed quite a few people.
    The film was crowdfunded. I wonder how many people would still have contributed if they had known that one of the two parallel stories was fictional?

How many of the general population people who watch it will know that one of the two parallel stories is fictional?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The film was crowdfunded. I wonder how many people would still have contributed if they had known that one of the two parallel stories was fictional?

How many of the general population people who watch it will know that one of the two parallel stories is fictional?
    I'll just have to go with your statement up thread, "lost opportunity", sums it up for me. But, I think it would be wrong to not even make an effort to see it.

Don Cheadle and Ewan McGregor are both top-notch in my book, but holy moley this movie looks awful. Is this a comedy because the trailer plays like a bad SNL fake movie parody.

It's Hollywood. You're not going to get the real story. You may get some of it, if you're lucky. Don Cheadle's great. The movie looks like fun. I agree that if
    it introduces people to his music, great. Again, Hollyweird does not equal reality. I'll check it out. Look at the interview above.