Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emerson's Moog

Emerson's Moog

I'm wondering what they will do with Emerson's modular - donate it to the Moog Foundation, sell to a private collector, create an Emerson museum.

(Hopefully, it won't go to the RRHOF.)

They could donate it here: http://www.synthmuseum.com/nesm/

Edit...thinking that isn't active anymore, but another sort of museum would be pretty cool.

The thing I liked about the above was it wasn't just to put the synths in a glass box, look but don't touch...but to make them available for use, so that they could be both maintained and available for musicians over the years.

His Moog is something that should be touched and tweaked, not just dusted a few times a week. IMHO.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    His Moog is something that should be touched and tweaked, not just dusted a few times a week. IMHO.
    I used to say this to my ex-wife all the time.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They can donate it to me...

(I know, that will never happen of course)... I hope it will get a good place, or a good owner. Maybe another well known keyboardist?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Maybe Ahmet Emerson can put it on eBay for $9M.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I used to say this to my ex-wife all the time.
    You called your thing a Moog? I'm not saying that's weird, but I am thinking it pretty loudly...

( )
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Give it to Rachel Flowers.

If there is an afterlife, Emo would probably smile at that.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

You called your thing a Moog? I'm not saying that's weird, but I am thinking it pretty loudly...

( )
    It's actually more of a Mellotron (it's often difficult lugging it around), but that didn't work with the original comment.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

In all seriousness, I would love to see Ms. Flowers involved somehow in a tribute to her hero. Either, as suggested in the other thread, as a part of Carl Palmer's thing, or during a one-off tribute show, or whatever. If any good can come of this, it would be as a showcase of her talents inspired by a master. And maybe she can help carry the torch.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's actually more of a Mellotron (it's often difficult lugging it around), but that didn't work with the original comment.
    I'm not even gonna point out that the average Mellotron tape loop lasts roughly 8 seconds and is done...

In all seriousness, I would love to see Ms. Flowers involved somehow in a tribute to her hero. Either, as suggested in the other thread, as a part of Carl Palmer's thing, or during a one-off tribute show, or whatever. If any good can come of this, it would be as a showcase of her talents inspired by a master. And maybe she can help carry the torch.
    I'm totally with both of these ideas. Obviously the keyboard had value and the family may want to monetize that, as is their right. But I'd love to see it wind up in the hands of a player, especially one like Rachel who has that Emerson connection. Also would love to see her involved in the tribute, that would be monumental.

Bill

I'm not even gonna point out that the average Mellotron tape loop lasts roughly 8 seconds and is done...

Well-played, John!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I call mine a pipe organ.

On CTTE 2015 they raffled off one of his Moogs. Don't know if he had more than one - probably. But I'd like to know who won that. Sadly, it's probably become more valuable.

Our "Moogs" should all occasionally spin around while our wives sit on them. Of course, she might stick a dagger in it instead.

Plus, they go all wobbly.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    On CTTE 2015 they raffled off one of his Moogs. Don't know if he had more than one - probably. But I'd like to know who won that. Sadly, it's probably become more valuable.
    There was only one modular, but he had a few Minis. There was also the Constellation prototype, but that may have gone back to Moog.

Forgive my ignorance on this (I'm not a keyboard buff by any stretch) but is Emerson's Moog custom built and one of a kind? Is it considered the finest in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on this (I'm not a keyboard buff by any stretch) but is Emerson's Moog custom built and one of a kind? Is it considered the finest in the world?

It was made for a one-off concert in 1969 at the Museum of Modern Art called "Jazz in the Garden".

There were four instruments: one for percussion sounds, one for bass, one for chords (and an electric piano), and one designed for leads.
    It was built from standard Moog Modules (IIRC, it was a IC), but they also made custom "pre-set" modules and wiring harness that allowed the settings to be changed on the fly and they called it a IC+.

Later, they put it up for sale and somehow it went to England.

Over the years, Emerson has had things modified, oscillators replaced, and added on to it.

If you watch the PAAE movie, you can see what it originally looked like.

But, here is a similar model.

I totally agree with this. Instruments were made to be played not displayed in a museum. Give this instrument to a young prodigy, such as Rachel Flowers, so that she may inspire an entirely new generation of listeners as Keith Emerson did in his time. Progeezer has nailed it. Rachel Flowers would respect this instrument, its legacy, and use it as Dr Robert Moog originally intended it to be used.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Enshrine it. Maybe someday, one day, just maybe, perhaps, Keith will be recognized as one of the true innovators of music.

The idea of Rachel Flowers getting it is nice, but unless Keith specifically bequeathed it to her I can't see that happening. The thing is almost priceless given its uniqueness and importance. Plus she'd need a pretty large space to house it and a tech to help care for it.

But here's an idea: why not house it in a reputable studio facility where it can be properly looked after and cared for, as well as used by lots of musicians, not just Rachel? I would say some place like Abbey Road, but that joint seems to have an uncertain future these days.

If it's not going to be played (which given its age should be considered) then IMO it should be put on display somewhere where it will be appreciated. The R&RHOF is a logical place for it, but I get the resistance to such an idea by some. If Emerson were properly recognized by that crowd it might help.

But if not there than put it somewhere where it will be a source of inspiration for future creative types. There's the EMP up in Seattle, various high profile schools like Berklee... somewhere like that, perhaps. Or does Robert Moog already have some kind of museum for his creations?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Moog Music Unveils Reissue of Keith Emerson’s Modular Synth http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183...ar-synth/29745

Inside Moog’s New Emerson Modular Synth (Video) http://www.keyboardmag.com/video/gear/3544239502001

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Moog Music Unveils Reissue of Keith Emerson’s Modular Synth http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183...ar-synth/29745

Inside Moog’s New Emerson Modular Synth (Video) http://www.keyboardmag.com/video/gear/3544239502001
    How much does one of those beasts go for?

( )
    More like a mini moog, from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Enshrine it. Maybe someday, one day, just maybe, perhaps, Keith will be recognized as one of the true innovators of music.

It's probably the only way something/someone from ELP will get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, besides paying admission, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    More like a mini moog, from what I heard.

For those who don't know the proper pronunciation is "mogue" as in "mode" not moog as in "dude." I'm not sure what bugs me more when people mispronounce that or when they say Neil Peart as in "pert."