Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBT Blu-ray Delay for "Rest of World"

Ember

BBT Blu-ray Delay for "Rest of World"

This, regarding my US pre-order, via email:

[Annoying. I do have a player that will handle the European-standard disc, but I suppose it would be smarter to wait for the 60Hz disc that will supposedly work on any player I may acquire in the future. But I do not understand why these small labels and indies all seem to have to learn everything from scratch, on their own, for these BD releases.]

BIG BIG TRAIN

STONE & STEEL RELEASE DATE:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

After lengthy consideration, we have made a difficult decision to push back the release date for the Stone & Steel Blu-ray and download film to Monday 4th July 2016 for countries outside UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa, India, China, Australia and New Zealand (referred to as ‘Rest of the World” for this release.)

We have been carrying out tests of the pre-production pressing of the Blu-ray and have been liaising with industry consultants. We have a concern that the Blu-ray may not play correctly on a small number of Blu-ray players in the rest of the world. It is impossible to identify exactly how many players may be affected (it is more likely to be older players) and so we have decided to produce a second pressing for the markets which may be affected. This pressing will meet all of the technical requirements of those markets.

We believe that the initial pressing meets all technical requirements in UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa, India, China, Australia and New Zealand.

We do apologise for the inconvenience and for any disappointment. We have developed considerable expertise in audio releases in recent years. However, Stone & Steel is our first video release and it has proven to be a steep learning curve for us. Unfortunately, the technical aspects of producing a video release for different worldwide markets are extremely complicated

If you wish to cancel your order and receive a full refund, please reply directly to this email with a request. Include your full name and address and a heading of ‘Stone & Steel Refund’.

We have produced a technical briefing by Neil Palfreyman which you may find helpful in determining whether your Blu-ray player and TV could in fact play the initial pressing ok. Here is a link to the briefing http://www.bigbigtrain.com/Stone_And...l_Briefing.pdf

If you wish to be sent a copy of the initial pressing on a strictly no returns, no refund basis please reply directly to this email with a request. Include your full name and address and a heading of ‘Stone & Steel Now’. We will start shipping copies of the initial pressing on Thursday 17th March 2016.

If you do not reply to this email, we will ship a second pressing copy of Stone & Steel to you just before the release date of Monday, 4th July 2016.

Kind Regards,

Big Big Train

11 March 2016.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This could be awkward if the release date is pushed far enough back that it overlaps with the release of the reissued version which will include additional material in improved packaging.

Oh no you dit int Jed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    What about the freaking US?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    What about the freaking US?
    That would be part of "the rest of the world".

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I was peeved by the re-issue of the two English Electric albums with the additional EP iirc. I try to support the bands I love but this kind of thing really irks me and a result I didn't buy the reissue/EP. Their loss.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I was peeved by the re-issue of the two English Electric albums with the additional EP iirc. I try to support the bands I love but this kind of thing really irks me and a result I didn't buy the reissue/EP. Their loss.
    Are you talking about English Electric: Full Power? What exactly were you peeved by?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Are you talking about English Electric: Full Power? What exactly were you peeved by?
    I think it was that shortly after releasing the albums as two separate releases, the band then released them together in a single set, in nicer packaging, with the EP added. So anyone who wanted all the material in the nicer packaging had to basically pay a second time.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    That was it exactly. I purchased both EE albums from LE, loved them both, then...what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think it was that shortly after releasing the albums as two separate releases, the band then released them together in a single set, in nicer packaging, with the EP added. So anyone who wanted all the material in the nicer packaging had to basically pay a second time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    That was it exactly. I purchased both EE albums from LE, loved them both, then...what he said.
    It was something they had made clear early on though, quite ahead of time, that they were going to release them both together in a deluxe edition later some time after EE Part 2 was finished. Just saying it wasn't a surprise move on their part.

You could still get all of the music by just purchasing the EP, so the issue really only came down to wanting the deluxe packaging. I don't really see the point in getting bent out of shape over that, especially when the band made all of the "extra" music available without having to pop for the deluxe edition. Seems like a very reasonable approach, especially compared to re-releases that contain "exclusive" bonus tracks you can't get without paying for a lot of music you already own.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It was something they had made clear early on though, quite ahead of time, that they were going to release them both together in a deluxe edition later some time after EE Part 2 was finished. Just saying it wasn't a surprise move on their part.

You could still get all of the music by just purchasing the EP, so the issue really only came down to wanting the deluxe packaging. I don't really see the point in getting bent out of shape over that, especially when the band made all of the "extra" music available without having to pop for the deluxe edition. Seems like a very reasonable approach, especially compared to re-releases that contain "exclusive" bonus tracks you can't get without paying for a lot of music you already own.
    I'm not "bent out of shape," but didn't they also change the playing order across the two disks?

And did they announce the reissue before the 2nd disk was released separately? I didn't know about it when I ordered the first disk. I'm not totally condemning it - I'm glad they were well received and that they released the "enhanced" product. But it's possible just focusing on the next release might have been a better idea.

I'm not "bent out of shape," but didn't they also change the playing order across the two disks?

And did they announce the reissue before the 2nd disk was released separately? I didn't know about it when I ordered the first disk. I'm not totally condemning it - I'm glad they were well received and that they released the "enhanced" product. But it's possible just focusing on the next release might have been a better idea.
    My apologies; I wasn't referring to you with my "bent out of shape" comment. You're correct, they did change the playing order across both discs to accommodate the additional tracks, rather (I imagine) than just tacking them on at the end.

If memory serves me, I recall the band mentioning before Part 2 was released that they would at a later date release a deluxe edition that combined both EE parts 1 and 2. And the EP was made up of leftover songs that either didn't fit or weren't finished in time for the release of Part 2, and they were included as well.

And if someone doesn't want to buy the EP out of principle, that's their prerogative. But it doesn't seem like BBT was trying to "pull a fast one" on anybody, as they made their intentions known ahead of time.

At least, that's how I remember it happening. It has been a few years now though.

And did they announce the reissue before the 2nd disk was released separately? I didn't know about it when I ordered the first disk.
    Yes, they were very upfront about it, and also made the additional tracks available on a separate EP for a very reasonable price (and which also included exclusive alternative versions of a couple of album tracks for good measure).

I liked the individual English Electric albums very much, but the revised running order including the additional tracks in "Full Power" is pretty much the best prog album of the decade so far, as far as I'm concerned - and at least from a British perspective, the price was really very inexpensive and so not really an issue. Perhaps it cost a bit more on the other side of the Atlantic? Over here it was only about £11 - hardly anything for a double album in a deluxe book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    Yes, they were very upfront about it, and also made the additional tracks available on a separate EP for a very reasonable price (and which also included exclusive alternative versions of a couple of album tracks for good measure).

I liked the individual English Electric albums very much, but the revised running order including the additional tracks in "Full Power" is pretty much the best prog album of the decade so far, as far as I'm concerned - and at least from a British perspective, the price was really very inexpensive and so not really an issue. Perhaps it cost a bit more on the other side of the Atlantic? Over here it was only about £11 - hardly anything for a double album in a deluxe book.
    Whatever, I love the band's music so I'm not disputing their intentions. I actually see it as a response to growing interest, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    I liked the individual English Electric albums very much, but the revised running order including the additional tracks in "Full Power" is pretty much the best prog album of the decade so far, as far as I'm concerned
    That's EXACTLY how I feel. EE:FP is a stunning achievement in its massive final form. I can't think of many works of art that seem to have been so lovingly created.

I'm amazed how incensed people got about this small time band with day jobs revising and refining their work. $40 would be reasonable for such a deluxe package and I think I got it for $13 off of Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    That's EXACTLY how I feel. EE:FP is a stunning achievement in its massive final form. I can't think of many works of art that seem to have been so lovingly created.

I'm amazed how incensed people got about this small time band with day jobs revising and refining their work. $40 would be reasonable for such a deluxe package and I think I got it for $13 off of Amazon.
    I concur wholeheartedly.

It's like a reward for the lazy or uninformed, late to the party fan....of which I was one.

Ember
    Apparently having failed to successfully re-author the disc for worldwide compatibility, BBT sends everybody a copy of the original one. If it works, you win. If it doesn't work, apply for a refund. The consolation prize is a Vimeo download of the show.

BIG BIG TRAIN

STONE & STEEL

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

After lengthy consideration we have decided against a new pressing of Stone & Steel for specific markets outside of the UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa, India, China, Australia or New Zealand. A test disc was produced for a new pressing but it did not meet our high standards.

As a pre-order customer, we will now be shipping a copy of the initial pressing to you on 27 June 2016. We have also included here a link that you can use to download the complete film from Vimeo at no cost.

You may very well find that the initial pressing of the Blu-ray disc will perform correctly in your existing player (only older players are likely to be affected). If however, it does not play correctly we will refund the full cost of Stone & Steel to you.

When your disc arrives, if it fails to work in your player, please reply to this email with a heading of STONE & STEEL REFUND REQUEST. Please include the Paypal transaction details in your email.

We do apologise for the problems with the Stone & Steel release that have affected some markets. We have developed considerable expertise in audio releases in recent years. However, Stone & Steel is our first video release and it has proven to be a steep learning curve for us. Unfortunately, the technical aspects of producing a video release for different worldwide markets are extremely complicated.

We do intend to film future gigs and will ensure that the appropriate technical requirements for worldwide Blu-Ray releases are met.

Your Vimeo free purchase of Stone & Steel:

Please visit this address & follow the guide [redacted]

Kind regards,

Big Big Train

24 June 2016

I'm glad about this only because I'm pretty sure it will work on my player. But WTF? They didn't hire someone(s) who knows how to make Blu-Rays to make the Blu-Rays? I mean, at this point so many others have successfully done this. Are they making David Longdon try to do it himself or something?

Well my copy of Stone & Steel arrived today in the States. And it worked. My B-R player is old and I read somewhere that the biggest concern was it wouldn't work on older players. It's great to watch as you can see the players very well and watch them play. The songs are for the most part very true to the versions on the records - it's "live", but doesn't stray a great deal from the sound of the recordings you already know. I'm happy to have it - but it makes me wonder: when are BBT going to do a proper tour? I'd like to see them in a live setting with a larger audience. I'd like to see them on a double bill with another band or perhaps open for a major band. Or I would like to see them play clubs - I just want to see them!

3RDegree makes Blu-rays ourselves as Blu-rays made at a Diskmakers or wherever is REALLY expensive and you have to get a boatload for it to make sense. One of the "issues" with the BD-R (recordable Blu-rays) is the "LTH" BD-Rs which are much cheaper but don't work in older players that haven't had their firmware updated. It's not that hard to update your firmware but if you're a bit tech challenged it can be an issue. You do not have the issues you had with DVDs and VHS with NTSC, PAL and SECAM but you do have a bit of difference still in Blu-rays made in different countries.

Ember
    My disk also arrived on Saturday. Haven't had time to play it all, but checked it.

Did NOT play (or even load) in my 2013 Sony BDP-S590.
    DID play in my 2010 Oppo BDP-80 (thank ghod!). "The First Rebreather" sent chills up my spine, as it did the first time I heard it; "Uncle Jack" had me grinning ear to ear. Can't wait to watch it all.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was going to buy it with Laser CD but there is a very obvious statement saying no returns if it doesn't play. I suspect my DVD player is around 7 years old so I wasn't going to take the chance.

Its a Bluray. It won't play in any DVD player.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Its a Bluray. It won't play in any DVD player.
    My DVD player is Bluray. I think it's honest to put a preamble before buyers purchase the DVD to warn them about potential problems. I just wasn't willing to take the chance.