Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planxty

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    If I recall correctly didn't this group include one of the Dillon sisters, either Mary (later in the group Deanta) or Cara? I've collected so much Irish trad. music over the years that the Oige rings a bell.
    Cara, I think.

Planxty CRANKED right now! Wouldn't want to hear anything else at this very moment (OK, maybe Cardiacs).

Bumping this thread from earlier in the year since I just happened to check Andy's site and see that there will be a new Planxty Retrospective released Nov 25 (it is already out in UK)

"BETWEEN THE JIGS AND THE REELS - A RETROSPECTIVE"

61KcqRfnxOL._SX425_.jpg

This looks like a must have for the DVD alone - 2 hours of footage!!!! - are you kidding me??!?

Compiled and chosen by the band, the release comes complete with a bonus DVD featuring over two hours of previously unreleased performances from the RTÉ Archives.

CD
    Disc: 1
    1. True Love Knows No Season (Billy Gray)
    2. Pat Reilly
    3. Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór
    4. Follow Me Up To Carlow
    5. Baneasa's Green Glade / Mominsko Horo
    6. The Aconry Lasses / The Old Wheels Of The World / The Spike Island Lasses
    7. The Pursuit Of Farmer Michael Hayes
    8. Accidentals / Aragon Mill
    9. The Irish Marche
    10. The Rambling Siúler
    11. The Well Below The Valley
    12. Junior Crehan's Favourite / Corney Is Coming (Reels)
    13. Roger O'Hehir
    14. Smeceno Horo
    15. The West Coast Of Clare
    16. Nancy Spain
    17. Timedance

DVD
    Disc: 2
    1. The Blacksmith / Blacksmithereens
    2. Three Drunken Maidens / The Foxhunter's Reel
    3. When First Unto This Country
    4. Sweet Thames Flow Softly
    5. The Gold Ring (Jig)
    6. Hey! Sandy
    7. Kitty Gone A Milking / Music Of The Forge (Reels)
    8. Only Our Rivers Run Free
    9. Raggle Taggle Gypsy / Tabhair Dom Do Lámh
    10. Three Drunken Maidens / The Foxhunter's Reel (Reprise)
    11. The Good Ship Kangaroo
    12. Ride A Mile / Hardiman The Fiddler / The Yellow Wattle (Jigs)
    13. The Hackler From Grouse Hall
    14. An Bonnán Buí / The West Wind (Reel)
    15. The Jolly Beggar
    16. Sally Brown
    17. Bean Pháidín / Rakish Paddy
    18. Little Musgrave
    19. East At Glendart / Brian O'Lynn / Pay The Reckoning (Double Jigs)
    20. The Lady On The Island / The Gatehouse Maid / The Virginia / Callaghan's (Reels)
    21. As I Roved Out
    22. Smeceno Horo
    23. Johnny Of Brady's Lea
    24. The Pullet / The Ladies' Pantalettes (Reels)
    25. I Pity The Poor Immigrant
    26. Arthur McBride
    27. True Love Knows No Season (Billy Gray)
    28. Timedance
    29. You Rambling Boys Of Pleasure
    30. The Good Ship Kangaroo
    31. Táimse Im' Chodladh
    32. Thousands Are Sailing
    33. The Queen Of The Rushes / Paddy Fahy's (Jigs)
    34. Little Musgrave
    35. The Scholar / The Chattering Magpie / Lord McDonald's / The Virginia / Callaghan's (Reels)
    36. The Cliffs Of Dooneen

Wow, thanks for the info! That looks substantial.

Is there gonna be a DVD region issue if ordered from the UK and playing in Dumpland?

Last edited by chalkpie; 11-21-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is there gonna be a DVD region issue if ordered from the UK and playing in Dumpland?
    I hope not - I'll take the gamble though - it is listed on the US Amazon here. But it does say Import so who knows. A user comment here said that they did have a problem playing it in their bluray in the US

I just also ordered a used copy of Planxty Live - 2004 - DVD - hope that doesn't show up as PAL. Well I might as well order this book as well. This new retrospective has got my excited!

Found a review here
    and here here

You should check out Bothy Band...and Moving Hearts' 'three '80s albums - Moving Hearts, The Dark End of the Street and Live Hearts. An electric band, yes, but with Planxty's Christy Moore singing and contributing songs, along with pipes wizard Davy Spillane (who knew Uillean pipes would mesh so perfectly with soprano sax?) and a crack group of other players. Their instrumentals range from trad-informed to influences ranging much farther afield (the bassist, clearly influenced by Jaco Pastorius, helps make the instrumental closer on their debut, into something a bit like Weather Report meeting trad).

Anyway, search them out. As forward thinking as Planxty and Bothy Band were - and, to some extent, reviled by trad purists as, while they sound totally trad to a foreigner like me, once I met and married off-the-boat Irish wife, who loves these bands, to be clear, she told and showed me why they aren't as purist as us foreigners think they are

But they are great. And if you're looking for more acoustic stuff, if you've not heard them you need to hear Bothy. And as a Prog fan, you ought to hear Moving Hearts, too.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

yep no question about Bothy Band being one of the greats. Planxty, Bothy Band, Moving Hearts. - what do all three have in common? : Dónal Lunny as a founding member. Pretty incredible. And his more recent work with Andy Irvine in Mozaik and LAPD shows still as great as ever!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    You should check out Bothy Band...and Moving Hearts' 'three '80s albums - Moving Hearts, The Dark End of the Street and Live Hearts. An electric band, yes, but with Planxty's Christy Moore singing and contributing songs, along with pipes wizard Davy Spillane (who knew Uillean pipes would mesh so perfectly with soprano sax?) and a crack group of other players. Their instrumentals range from trad-informed to influences ranging much farther afield (the bassist, clearly influenced by Jaco Pastorius, helps make the instrumental closer on their debut, into something a bit like Weather Report meeting trad).

Anyway, search them out. As forward thinking as Planxty and Bothy Band were - and, to some extent, reviled by trad purists as, while they sound totally trad to a foreigner like me, once I met and married off-the-boat Irish wife, who loves these bands, to be clear, she told and showed me why they aren't as purist as us foreigners think they are

But they are great. And if you're looking for more acoustic stuff, if you've not heard them you need to hear Bothy. And as a Prog fan, you ought to hear Moving Hearts, too.
    Love Bothy, don't know Moving Hearts. As for Planxty not being 100% trad - doesn't matter - they are still far and away my favorite Irish group. Actually, I probably like them more since they are more "progressive" within the Irish/Celtic moniker. Thanks for the Moving Heart rec.

In time for St. Patrick's Day I thought I'd bump this thread to talk about the new live album they are releasing from the archive "One Night In Bremen" recorded in 1978.

But in looking up info on that I'm shocked and saddened to see that master uilleann player Liam Óg Ó Flynn died on Wednesday at the age of 72.

This is from an Amazon reviewer in talking about the impact of Planxty and Ó Flynn in particular - I thought this was spot on and quite moving:

"The universe experienced a singularity in their (Planxty) coming together. Both in terms of the very instruments they used, how they combined them, how they structured songs and tunes to work with each other are all elements that any aficionado would take for granted now, but at that time, no one had ever done what they did.

It is a pure description of how Music itself leans over and takes four young musicians into its confidence so that they proceed to do what they don't know how to do, and in so doing alter an entire genre. No one had more to lose with his reputation than O'Flynn, ...the quiet and devoted servant to Music itself... Dylan's Newport gig was girl scout cookies compared to what O Flynn risked"

One Night In Bremen
    will be out April 6 - from what I can tell it has the bands blessing too (Planxty were royally screwed in their record deal in the early days)

Listen to Planxty this weekend and raise a pint to the one and only Liam O’Flynn

Not forgetting the excellent Andy Irvine/Paul Brady LP from 1976 with a killer version of "Arthur McBride"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvT-ZxOiXDY

Planxty is prog but the late great Liam O’Flynn also has a connection to more familiar prog - he played on Mike Oldfield's Voyager album.
    Its been awhile since I heard that one, does anyone know what song(s) he plays on?

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    In time for St. Patrick's Day I thought I'd bump this thread to talk about the new live album they are releasing from the archive "One Night In Bremen" recorded in 1978.

But in looking up info on that I'm shocked and saddened to see that master uilleann player Liam Óg Ó Flynn died on Wednesday at the age of 72.

This is from an Amazon reviewer in talking about the impact of Planxty and Ó Flynn in particular - I thought this was spot on and quite moving:

"The universe experienced a singularity in their (Planxty) coming together. Both in terms of the very instruments they used, how they combined them, how they structured songs and tunes to work with each other are all elements that any aficionado would take for granted now, but at that time, no one had ever done what they did.

It is a pure description of how Music itself leans over and takes four young musicians into its confidence so that they proceed to do what they don't know how to do, and in so doing alter an entire genre. No one had more to lose with his reputation than O'Flynn, ...the quiet and devoted servant to Music itself... Dylan's Newport gig was girl scout cookies compared to what O Flynn risked"

One Night In Bremen
    will be out April 6 - from what I can tell it has the bands blessing too (Planxty were royally screwed in their record deal in the early days)

Listen to Planxty this weekend and raise a pint to the one and only Liam O’Flynn
    Great post and so sorry to hear about Liam O' Flynn. RIP good sir.

Beer is poured, Shepherds pie is cooking, and Cold Blow and the Rainy Night is cranked on the hi-fi! Cheers -
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Planxty is prog but the late great Liam O’Flynn also has a connection to more familiar prog - he played on Mike Oldfield's Voyager album.
    Its been awhile since I heard that one, does anyone know what song(s) he plays on?
    Did not know that! I have no idea.

I'm so sad to hear about the passing of Liam O'Flynn. I vividly remember a friend of mine recommending Planxty one day and lending me a cassette of The Woman I Loved So Well. On the train home I stuck it in my Walkman and the first track up was Johnny of Brady's Lea...I was totally blown away by the uilleann pipes opening the track. I can clearly remember sitting on the train losing myself in the music as the sun set over the rail tracks. Of course I bought up all the Planxty I could get my hands on, as well as his Brendan Voyage album. I then realised that this was the same guy who had played the weird sounding pipes on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love and The Sensual World.

Thanks for all the great music Liam...

Horslips got me started on a traditional Irish music kick, and Planxty, Bothy Band, Chieftains became big faves along with Steeleye Span and Battlefield Band from Scotland.. Progbear, I remember someone recommending Moving Hearts to me and I don't remember the album but I also found it to be too AOR.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I'm so sad to hear about the passing of Liam O'Flynn. I vividly remember a friend of mine recommending Planxty one day and lending me a cassette of The Woman I Loved So Well. On the train home I stuck it in my Walkman and the first track up was Johnny of Brady's Lea...I was totally blown away by the uilleann pipes opening the track. I can clearly remember sitting on the train losing myself in the music as the sun set over the rail tracks. Of course I bought up all the Planxty I could get my hands on, as well as his Brendan Voyage album. I then realised that this was the same guy who had played the weird sounding pipes on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love and The Sensual World.

Thanks for all the great music Liam...
    Great post and memory - I was on a different continent hearing that same song "Johnny of Brady's Lea" but had the same reaction as you. Those pipes - my God! and I just love the way Andy sings that one. It such a wild story too...spoiler alert....ending with 7 or 8 people, two dogs and a deer all dead in a complete bloodbath!

Great post and memory - I was on a different continent hearing that same song "Johnny of Brady's Lea" but had the same reaction as you. Those pipes - my God! and I just love the way Andy sings that one. It such a wild story too...spoiler alert....ending with 7 or 8 people, two dogs and a deer all dead in a complete bloodbath!
    Thanks...it's great when music touches you like that. And I know what you mean about the story...if I remember right the sleeve notes mention that there's only one track on the album where the characters make it to the end of the song alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Love Bothy, don't know Moving Hearts. As for Planxty not being 100% trad - doesn't matter - they are still far and away my favorite Irish group. Actually, I probably like them more since they are more "progressive" within the Irish/Celtic moniker. Thanks for the Moving Heart rec.
    I wasn't knocking them to be clear (love 'em!). My wife is Irish, born and raised there, and tells me that Planxty & Bothy were kinda the "new wave" revivalists of traditional Irish music but, because they did certain things that challenged that tradition, were not initially well received by the purists.

I'll bet those purists hated the more electric Moving Hearts even more!

The three MH albums not to be missed, IMO: Moving Hearts, Dark End of the Street and Live Hearts. After that they became strictly instrumental and, while they remained wonderful, shifted direction. They really were at their most special with Christy Moore in tow, I think...
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I love Planxty -have all the cds- not a bad one among them -Saw The Bothy Band- in 77 I think -another 100% class act.

Great stuff!
    and to give a heads up to anyone who is interested. Andy has recently setup a bandcamp: https://andyirvine.bandcamp.com/
    There are downloads and CD copies of both volumes of his "Old Dog Long Road" which compiles never before heard archival recordings from his long career. I have both CDs -amazing stuff.

I also downloaded the long out of print "Rainy Sundays​.​.​.​Windy Dreams" with Andy Irvine with Paul Brady, Donal Lunny, Liam O'Flynn, Frankie Gavin. Which includes perhaps the only 'epic' track he has done: The 14 minute "The Emigrants". (I guess "The Highwayman" should also count as an epic)

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I love Planxty -have all the cds- not a bad one among them -Saw The Bothy Band- in 77 I think -another 100% class act.
    Excellent! I spun the 1975 LP tonight, wonderful.

Great stuff!
    and to give a heads up to anyone who is interested. Andy has recently setup a bandcamp: https://andyirvine.bandcamp.com/
    There are downloads and CD copies of both volumes of his "Old Dog Long Road" which compiles never before heard archival recordings from his long career. I have both CDs -amazing stuff.

I also downloaded the long out of print "Rainy Sundays​.​.​.​Windy Dreams" with Andy Irvine with Paul Brady, Donal Lunny, Liam O'Flynn, Frankie Gavin. Which includes perhaps the only 'epic' track he has done: The 14 minute "The Emigrants". (I guess "The Highwayman" should also count as an epic)
    Great, thanks for this