Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frost* - Falling Satellites released May 27 2016

Frost* - Falling Satellites released May 27 2016

Eight years since the last one I think? Good news.

...from Inside Out's page:

Official Frost* have announced their long-awaited new album 'Falling Satellites' for release on 27th May 2016!
    Jem Godfrey comments: “It’s been a long time coming, but we got there in the end. I think this is our strongest album to date and moves the sound forwards whilst still referencing what’s gone before. It’s also great to have finally co-written some songs with John in a Frost* context. The end results were better than either of us could have imagined, we just can’t wait to get out and play it all live now.”

The band are touring the UK later this year in support:

Friday 17th June – Voodoo Rooms, Edinburgh
    Saturday 18th June – Montgomery Hall, Wath-Upon-Dearne
    Sunday 19th June – The Robin 2, Bilson
    Saturday 23rd July – Ramblin’ Man Fair, Maidstone
    Friday 29th July – Thekla, Bristol
    Saturday 30th July – 02 Islington Academy, London
    Sunday 31st July – The Portland Arms, Cambridge

Tickets for all headline dates available here: http://themerchdesk.com/shop/index.php…
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Excellent news. Wish they were touring the United States, but I kinda gave up on that years ago. Happy that Jem could finish the album!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Didn't realize that Joe Satriani was appearing on this!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Didn't realize that Joe Satriani was appearing on this!
    I hadn't heard about that. This is a much anticipated release.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Cool!

And, also from Inside Out....

Frost*, the brainchild of keyboard player and song-writer Jem Godfrey, have announced the release of their long-awaited new album ‘Falling Satellites’ for the 27th May 2016. Joined by guitarist & vocalist John Mitchell (Lonely Robot, It Bites), drummer Craig Blundell (Steven Wilson) & bassist Nathan King (Level 42), ‘Falling Satellites’ is the band’s first album in 8 years & the follow-up to the acclaimed ‘Experiments In Mass Appeal’.

Comprising 11 songs, the final 6 forming a 32-minute long suite, this album also sees a guest appearance from Grammy-nominated guitar legend Joe Satriani who Godfrey played with on the G3 tour in 2012.

Didn't like Experiments. Hope this is better.

I thought Experiments In Mass Appeal had its moments, but didn't hit the heights that Milliontown did for me.

Will be interesting to hear the new one.

Experiments didn't really hit me until I heard most of it live on The Philadelphia Experiment. I wanted another Milliontown, but I still like it.

Does anyone know why Frost* is spelled with the asterick(*)?

My guess is that the asterisk looks like a snowflake.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I recall hearing he wanted to differentiate the name from some death metal band also called Frost. Something like that.

Crossing my fingers that this one isn't mastered too hot.

If it's more "Milliontown" than "Experiments in Mass Appeal," I'm in.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I recall Godfrey saying that this one will be closer to the keyboard driven Milliontown than to Experiments. He also talked a lot about all kinds of new keyboards and new sounds on his blog so this should be interesting. Hopefully they stick to the plan which they had - meaning, there will be this album plus a bonus CD with some additional songs, like "Fathers" which was done in this period (between Experiments and Satellites) but isn't on the main album.

Im in. I enjoyed the first 2 , Milliontown a bit more . Great live act, I wish the US was to be visited but we cant have everything we want can we?

One problem with the * in their name: the asterisk is a wildcard character in Windows and Unix filenames, so it can't be used. Same problem with Neal Morse's ? album. The ? is also a wildcard character.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    One problem with the * in their name: the asterisk is a wildcard character in Windows and Unix filenames, so it can't be used. Same problem with Neal Morse's ? album. The ? is also a wildcard character.
    Bands with simple names like Frost or Three do no favors for themselves when it comes to Internet search engines.

Just pre-ordered this from Burning Shed, and this is the tracklisting:

1. First Day (1:37)
    2. Numbers (4:22)
    3. Towerblock (6:14)
    4. Signs (6:37)
    5. Lights Out (3:52)
    6. Heartstrings (6:21)
    7. Closer To The Sun (7:21)
    8. The Raging Against The Dying Of The Light Blues In 7/8 (7:50)
    9. Nice Day For It... (6:38)
    10. Hyperventilate (2:01)
    11. Last Day (3:02)

Bonus Tracks:

12. Lantern (3:45)
    13. British Wintertime (6:29)

Wondering if Track 10 has any relation to the "Hyperventilate" from Milliontown?

Wondering if Track 10 has any relation to the "Hyperventilate" from Milliontown?
    Probably, I'd say, a reworked quote from the original to fit within the running order. Because the last song is three minutes, I suspect a musical quote, then an immediate segue to the "climax" of the album.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Might be typo on Burningshed, pretty sure I saw the track listing elsewhere and it was titled "Hypoventilate. Which would make it the opposite of the original.

Edit:

Saw it on the MerchDesk site:

Tracks Listing

First Day, Numbers, Towerblock, Signs, Lights Out, Heartstrings, Closer To The Sun, The Rage Against The Dying Of The Light Blues In 7/8, Nice Day For It, Hypoventilate, Last Day, Lantern, British Wintertime

Big fan of their first one.

Banned
    After an 8 year silence, 2016 finally sees the release of the long awaited 3rd album from Frost*, Falling Satellites.

The brainchild of keyboard player Jem Godfrey, Frost* released its first album, Milliontown to critical acclaim in 2006. Godfrey is joined by long-term collaborator John Mitchell (Lonely Robot/It Bites) on guitar and vocals plus Nathan King (Level 42) on bass and drummer Craig Blundell (Steven Wilson).

The album includes 11 songs with the final 6 songs forming a 32 minute long suite called Sunlight. Within this collection of songs comes an unexpected guest appearance from none other than Grammy nominated guitar legend Joe Satriani.

Double 180g vinyl in gatefold with cd and a signed postcard. Includes bonus tracks, Lantern and British Wintertime.

For your love, amusement or grief

I recognize this one from the Rockfield Files, although the middle section is very different now. Looking forward to this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    My guess is that the asterisk looks like a snowflake.
    Huh, I've always assumed it was supposed to be an anus.