Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Frost* - Falling Satellites released May 27 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Towerblock is obnoxious. I love every second of it.
    That must be the track that sounds like a CD skipping severely throughout most of it. I can do without that effect.
    You are correct- it is OBNOXIOUS!

A shame that "Fathers" wasn't included on this one. And perhaps something else.

Thanks for chiming in, Mr. Mitchell. I'm a big fan of your work and really enjoy your collaborations with Jem on the new cd. I hope there's more of that in the future. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Support band is Rob Reed's Kaepa so should be a blast.
    I assume you mean Kiama?

I just picked this up and giving it a listen. I absolutely LOVE Towerblock, although I can see why some folks don't. The break reminds me a lot of Aphex Twin, who I'm a fan of.

"Numbers" sounds like an updated version of The Police's "Synchronicity I". Great track.

Great CD so far. Jem is an amazingly talented guy (not to take away from the others), and he seems like a top bloke as well. Always seems very positive and jovial in his interviews, which is nice to see nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Hey am I on this album? I recorded some guitar stuff for Jem which I believe was destined for this album. I suppose I should ask him!
    I find this really funny. I don't have the album or I would look at the credits. On All Music it only lists Frost* in the credits list.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    I assume you mean Kiama?
    That's them!

Wow!! What an awesome reply from John Mitchell! And I can only agree.

By the way, any other people who listened to Falling Satellites, and start to listen to the previous albums more often again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ier View Post
    By the way, any other people who listened to Falling Satellites, and start to listen to the previous albums more often again?
    ::waves hands frantically:::

Orcopian
    I have listened to this several times over the last few days and I think it's an absolutely sensational cd, it's really grown on me, the songwriting, playing and production are first class and it's possibly even better than milliontown. Towerblock took a few listens to get into but it's an awesome track. Really looking forward to the Bilston gig next weekend now. Belated thanks to John Mitchell for his spot-on post earlier in this thread.

'Towerblock' is possibly the most Frost*esque song on this. Just presented with some different noises employed to achieve the same ends.

'Signs' has too much of a Peter Gabriel style to the vox to be coincidental. Not a bad thing. At. All.

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    ::waves hands frantically:::
    Yay!!!

But really, I think Falling Satellites is their best so far... As a whole I mean. Milliontown and Mass Appeal are strong albums too, but more 'track wise'.

Frost kicked off the Falling Satellites tour last night in Reading. It was a very entertaining night that kicked off with support act being Twats (but no hats) aka Jem Godfrey and John Mitchell doing mostly a covers (but one Frost song was played).

The main setlist for those who want to know is here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frost/...-23c828e3.html

No time for "Milliontown," I suppose. That's a shame. That opening act idea sounds interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No time for "Milliontown," I suppose. That's a shame. That opening act idea sounds interesting.
    I think they said that one of the previous gigs was the last time they played Milliontown in its entirity. At least for now.

The opening act was entertaining. They did 80s pop covers, like "Down Under" (Men at Work) & "Don't You Want Me (Barry)" (Human League). There were unheeded calls for Supper's Ready and Grendel. But it let us all sing along.

What amazed me about that gig is that there were a lot of people, especially as it is in a non-prog venue in a town not known for its music scene, and on a Wednesday night.

Really like the setlist. Would've loved Milliontown again but didn't expect them to play it again. Takes up a lot of a set of they are only gonna do 90 mins.

Orcopian
    Cracking gig at the robin in bilston last night. There must have been 4-500 there on a Sunday night and frost were on fire. A tight 90 minute set with tracks from all 3 albums, the sunlight suite was sensational. I was really impressed with Nathan King who I haven't seen live before, he played synth bass on a few tracks and contributed some classy backing vocals as well. CRaig Blundell really let loose, the material gives him a lot of room to play and his solo at the end was far from average. There was plenty of humour on stage and everyone present seemed to be enjoying themselves. Thumbs up for Kiama who played a well received set. great vocals with a female backing singer as well, Luke machin on guitar is always worth seeing.

Edit, maybe not. It's sold out!

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Edit, maybe not. It's sold out!
    sorry you won't get to see it, but how good is that, Prog bands selling out gigs! on a similar note I heard that the summers end festival is now entirely sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    sorry you won't get to see it, but how good is that, Prog bands selling out gigs! on a similar note I heard that the summers end festival is now entirely sold out.
    Don't worry, I was at Wath. Just wanted to see it again!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    how cool would a Max Tundra/Knifeworld album be?
    it would sound something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBDAytqFrUk

just popping in to say this band rules. listened to Experiments in Mass Appeal the other day and it sounded like Chester Bennington fronting Porcupine Tree, but like, the good version of that. this new album sounds awesome too.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

^ Ben Jacobs (Max Tundra himself) did actually play a bit of trumpet and keys on the first Knifeworld album, also myself, most of my old band, The Monsoon Bassoon, and the Larcombes from Stars In Battledress performed four Max Tundra compositions with him as a kind of Max Tundra live band for what turned out to be the last ever Peel Session on Radio One.
    As you might imagine, it was pretty 'rehearsal intensive'

cool - found it on his soundcloud

"6161" - yep I can tell exactly who that is on guitar

props for doing "Merman", always wanted to hear a straight version of it
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Falling Satellites was a heck of an album- so fresh sounding and interesting...would love to see Frost* tour stateside, but understand its highly unlikely.