Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Difficulty of Dealing with the Passing Away of Musicians

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A not so minor aside...

It's easy to get emotionally invested in the music that shapes our lives. And a wonderful thing if it does not border on manic fandom.

But take the time to get equally invested in the art and music made by artists you actually KNOW personally. They need your passion as much or more.
    Since I have met you in person does this mean I should shell out 500 dollars for an out of print copy of the Speechless ep?

LOL Well, I don't think spending big bucks is the best way to show passion.

I had a hard time getting over Terry Kath's death.

Zappa's passing took a piece of me for sure.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Chris Squire's death was a sledgehammer to the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Since I have met you in person does this mean I should shell out 500 dollars for an out of print copy of the Speechless ep?
    I still have my copy of the speechless album... Not for sale!

I just had a thought, pretty obvious maybe. With each of these passings of our youths heroes and icons, also slowly goes our generation and all of it's amazing wonders. Man did we have it made or what!? Big fucking concerts in big fucking arenas... So loud you couldn't even see straight... Smoke everywhere, girls, onstage the band larger than life, the lights, the power and the glory!! All for 8 bucks.
    Still alive and well...

David Bowie's death still stings.

I've lost too many people close to me personally over the last couple years, and the recent deaths of so many iconic rock stars have seemed to be just part of the background in a long bad streak.

However, there is one exception. For me, Chris Squire's passing felt like a death in the family. I took it really hard, even though I only ever met him at a single meet-and-greet a decade ago. So much of my younger life revolved around being a Yes fan, though, and this felt like the passing of something big in my life.

Suicides are the ones that leave me scratching my head. Difficult to accept and to deal with.

I've found it a little uncomfortable to have found myself struck with grief over Daevid Allen, Bowie and now Emerson, guys I did not know personally. That perhaps it was somehow creepy to be feeling "grief" over "celebrities?" But i don't think it matters if I know someone or not, if in some way they have had an impact upon my life, however small, to mourn or feel grief over their passing. And to me, these three individuals, as well as other unknowns, have had an impact upon my life. I'm not going to air my laundry here, but there are very specific reasons, and connections, to each of these three over the course of my life that are very meaningful to me. In a way, I grew up with them, they certainly formed the soundtrack for much of my life. I'm saddened by their passing. Much more so for Emerson in the way he left. Suicide always breaks my heart a bit harder. Death has a way of opening a flood of memory, nostalgia for the "good ol days" long since past. In a way, it's a part of my life that has passed on itself. I think its more normal to feel a tug at the heart, bring a tear to the cheek, than not. Its being alive. And I personally prefer that to not feeling anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Suicides are the ones that leave me scratching my head. Difficult to accept and to deal with.
    As I recall Robin Williams passing left me the same way.. Lennon's death knocked the wind out of me.. so senseless..

Some things affect us, whether we can rationalize them or not. Or even acknowledge them. No use telling my subconscious, "but I don't actually know him/her." Best to accept grief for what it is, which is real.

Brad Delp's suicide shocked me too. You just sit there in a daze wondering why? Why?

Reaction to Splicer: I wouldn't mind if Nickelback would be the only band left on this planet.

On topic: There's also a difference 'how' the artist passed away and at what age... For example, George Martin reached a wonderful age, so I'm more 'peaceful' with that compared to other artists who died 'too young' or in a terrible way.

^ I meant to post a similar comment earlier.

Some people have expressed the feeling that a part of them is taken away when their musical hero dies.
    I understand and respect that feeling, but for me it works the other way.
    When one of my musical heroes dies, it feels as though a part of him is now living in me. The qualities that emanate from that person's art (and sometimes from the person itself) become an even greater source of inspiration. I feel inspired to carry the torch and keep that flame alive by celebrating the joy their music brought to me. I often think of them with gratefulness and let myself be inspired by their work in everyday life or in my own creations. And whenever it feels appropriate I draw other people's attention to their music.

This is so tough, and I will sound a bit like a jerk writing this.

I am torn on this.

My wife, knowing my love of everything Keith Emerson ever did, texted me the incredibly bad news on Friday.

However, at the time she texted me, I was doing some work at her brother's house, who is terminally ill with ALS, making it so his house will be more accommodating for a wheel chair, and to remove burdens from his wife.

On the visceral level, I was devastated. A man who brought me so many hours of happiness over the past 45 years (more if counting the Nice) passed away. Although everything he ever recorded will still be with me, and since he was unlikely to record again, there was still the loss of that ever tempting ELP reunion that will now most definitely never be.

However, I had never met the man. I had only been in his presence the several times I attended his shows. I feel guilty being as devastated as I am, with what my brother-in-law is going through.

My father died when I was 9, and because he was a workaholic, I never knew him that well. When Terry Kath and Thurman Munson died, I was far more devastated, and that has tormented me ever since I was able to recognize it.

I don't honestly know what to feel right now. I guess I am kind of being thankful that I got to see Chris Squire and Keith Emerson while they were still great. I guess I will focus on the enjoyment they gave me rather than the sense of loss. Obviously, I feel for the sense of loss for wives/children/friends/band mates/... as I do at every passing, but I think I will just appreciate that what they brought to society made me happy, and made my life better.

it's harder to deal with a musician's death when they are still in their prime or still have many years ahead of them.

as for the subject of Suicide.... life is all about being happy, but not everybody is happy these days.

I feel quite removed from musicians such as Keith Emerson...perhaps more so the more famous and larger-than-life they seem and of course because I didn't know them personally. And add to that the fact that I never seem to know what to say at times like this (so I try not to say anything). But the strange thing this time around is (referring to KE) it's hitting home more now due to the circumstances of his death and also because it seems like a pattern is forming. Yes, it is to be expected simply due to the fact that all these great pioneers of prog rock are reaching that age bracket, but it's sad to think that those people are disappearing. All the stars seemed aligned to bring about the creation of this genre 40+ years ago. It won't happen again in quite the same way.

But there are other factors that can influence how we deal with these things. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that my own mortality is becoming more real as I get older. That's gotta create a fair amount of empathy for what's going on around us.
    <sig out of order>

Well, it greatly differs as to whom passed away...

Squire, Lemmy, Bowie or Emerson's passing away have left me more or less cold . It's like I didn't care, but they certainly haven't touched as deep as Daivid Alllen or Paul Kantner
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A difficult subject matter for sure, personally speaking, after a near death experience of my own (Brain tumor, surgery, and complications, long recovery) I lost both my mom and dad passed during this time, and some other close friends, talk about getting a heavy dose of reality. It is the nature of our life experience, and we are all denying the inevitable. As for musicians and other heroes, we have their work stored in a capsule of time that we identify ourselves and our lives with, and we forget we are also aging along with them. I am still grieving for the close personal loses, and when I hear of an artist, say for example: Ronnie Montrose, Gary Moore, Chris Squire, Keith Emerson, Bowie, Zappa, Bolin, Michael Hedges, John Lord, etc. It is seemingly close to home, because the love of their music defines my own musical identity, in other words, they and their art are part of us, and part of us has stopped living on planet Earth.

But I have become ok with it, the finality, the despair, they are only a selfish reaction to my own mortality. Of which we have no control, without the exception of suicide or careless living.

Looking at the past helps to see that everything must pass. And perhaps we shouldn't hold people in such high regard, as if they are Idols, larger than life, and immortal. But someone posted the more important issue about these passings, and that is the lives they left behind, the living stories of their lives, and the struggles that they are to endure.
    God Bless Them All
    ================================================== =================================================

List of deaths in rock and roll

The following is a list of notable performers of rock and roll music or rock music, and others directly associated with the music as producers, songwriters or in other closely related roles, who have died. The list gives their date, cause and location of death, and their age.

Rock music developed from the rock and roll music that emerged during the 1950s, and includes a diverse range of sub-genres. The terms "rock and roll" and "rock" each have a variety of definitions, some narrow and some wider. In determining criteria for inclusion, this list uses as its basis reliable sources listing "rock deaths" or "deaths in rock and roll", as well as such sources as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...and_roll#2010s
    Last edited by MJBrady; 03-13-2016 at 08:45 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Grief is cumulative, and though you don't always know it, it needs to be grieved to release it. Having lost, in the course of four short years, my ex-wife, my sister, my mother and father, and my beloved mother-in-law, I found the least little thing could set me off on a crying jag. I found I couldn't watch Hallmark commercials!

It's okay to be sad. It's important to realize that mourning is a process, which can be delayed but not avoided.

All these musician deaths are hard, and they seem to come so fast. We need more time to process them, more time to remember and grieve and appreciate the music they left us.

I'm still grieving over John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix.
    wow bro... I did not know you've been going through this
    thank you for sharing. I hope you are healing

as many of you know, I lost my wife to cancer in 2005 and so many PE musicians were supportive through that dark time in my life. I remain indebted to them all and consider those good people (you know who you are) family

the death of beloved artists is not quite the same as family members but personally, I still miss Robin Williams and get sad when I think of his artistic greatness and how he came to his end. As far as music artists go, Hendrix is missed the most, followed by D Boon and Eddie Hazel. Emerson is one of my favorite individual artists of the "big 3" of Symph Rock along with Palmer, so this one hurts a bit for me. I never could get into Genesis or Yes. ELP was definitely my fav of the big selling Symph acts and it is very sad that Keith thought it necessary to end his life

as Robert says regarding grief "it needs to be grieved to release it"
    I was blessed. A year after my wife died I met my wife and mother of my 'soon to turn 5' daughter and they are everything in the world to me

Life goes on if you allow it to, but the grieving process needs to run its course and its different for everyone
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    as for the subject of Suicide.... life is all about being happy, but not everybody is happy these days.
    I think that's the problem. Life is not all about being happy, but people expect to be happy these days, but life is also about coping with things that can make us unhappy. Happiness isn't a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Do we really grieve and mourn those that we didn't even meet or certainly didn't know personally?
    For the most part I'd say no. At the very least those terms are exaggerations for the kind of thing this thread is about. We can be sad, bothered or sometimes genuinely upset about such news, but I think this isn't really about the artists in question so much as their art, or the impact they've had on our lives. We're upset over those things more than the people themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A not so minor aside...

It's easy to get emotionally invested in the music that shapes our lives. And a wonderful thing if it does not border on manic fandom.

But take the time to get equally invested in the art and music made by artists you actually KNOW personally. They need your passion as much or more.
    +1
    Even though I will miss Squire and Emerson (as well as others), the statement above has solid logic and good advice.