Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis - French TV (Melody '74) Supper's Ready - 1st Gen. Copy (Finally)

Genesis - French TV (Melody '74) Supper's Ready - 1st Gen. Copy (Finally)

Wow. A little too "70's" for my taste at times FX-wise , but what a gem! The detailed expressions on Pete's face - classic

Thanks.

At first reading I thought it was the band French TV doing the song.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Nice. But I'll always prefer the Second Out version. PG's vocals are just a bit too harsh IMHO. The Seconds Out version is just much more....epic.

A wonderful relic among the high points of the classic lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    At first reading I thought it was the band French TV doing the song.
    He he. That's what I thought too.

Is this any different/better than what's on the 2007 reissue of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I guess I should be glad it's there at all, but it annoys me there are several shots of Steve doing nothing during "Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man" and not a SINGLE SHOT of him doing the solo to "Iknaton and Itsacon." At what point did directors and editors finally become competent in filming concerts?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I was wondering what Mike Rutherford did to piss off the camera crew. "Alors, he's getting on screen! Quick, cut away! Pan over to Collins!"

Thank You - I never saw this video. Thought it very interesting and a bit strange (the super slo mo of close up band members)... maybe even a bit creepy but still very enjoyable and thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Is this any different/better than what's on the 2007 reissue of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway?
    The 2007 reissue is from a bootleg with timecode, but cropped bottom and top of the screen to hide the timecode, the quality of video is also inferior, with dropouts, blur and etc, like an old betamax.

This concert along with Bowie and the Spiders in the 1972-1974 years, both at the Tower theater literally changed my life. Nothing was ever the same again, and that is a good thing!

I was waiting for Charles Nelson O'Reilly to fly out on a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Wow. A little too "70's" for my taste at times FX-wise , but what a gem! The detailed expressions on Pete's face - classic

Thanks.
    Yeah the effects were a bit over the top for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Yeah the effects were a bit over the top for sure..
    Yep. And Gabriel mugging for the camera several times, which didn't look like it was part of the actual performance. (Filmed separately and edited in.)

Still nice footage to have.

Very nice!

Finally? This is included on the Genesis Early Box Set. Along with a lot of the old PG era videos from the era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    The 2007 reissue is from a bootleg with timecode, but cropped bottom and top of the screen to hide the timecode, the quality of video is also inferior, with dropouts, blur and etc, like an old betamax.
    Uncle Claude: I just wanted point out that video has a timecode, which is...ya know, very, uh, very difficult to, ya know, fake.

Judge: For the court's information could you explain "timecode"?

Uncle Claude: Well, it's...(thinks for a second), well, just because I don't know what it is doesn't mean I'm lying.

(no prizes for recognizing that non sequiter of an allusion)

I reckon that old VHS tapes wouldn't look much better either.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Finally? This is included on the Genesis Early Box Set. Along with a lot of the old PG era videos from the era.
    For all those (including me) who doesn't have this Boxset it's nice to have a clean (timecode-less and uncropped) version of this classic early TV performance. The other versions I've seen were terrible but this is perfectly watchable and enjoyable. Thanks to the O.P for sharing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yes, finally, because it is now Full 4:3 Screen, No Crop, No Black Bars, No Stretch, No Timecode. The box is a inferior copy like i said. Cheers

The research footage for these box sets was terrible. They used some bootlegs and another poor sourcers, not professional copies from the mastertapes. The Shepperton Studios is terrible, like the "Genesis in Concert" (same magnetic tape master for the laser disc), reels from these films are out there and they don't care! Some years ago The Shepperton was transfered from the 16mm and released in Blu-ray BY THE FANS.

Yes, finally, because it is now Full 4:3 Screen, No Crop, No Black Bars, No Stretch, No Timecode. The box is a inferior copy like i said. Cheers
    And very cool indeed; thanks for sharing.

Got to love the 12 string guitar, just don't get enough of that these days.

The research footage for these box sets was terrible. They used some bootlegs and another poor sourcers, not professional copies from the mastertapes. The Shepperton Studios is terrible, like the "Genesis in Concert" (same magnetic tape master for the laser disc), reels from these films are out there and they don't care! Some years ago The Shepperton was transfered from the 16mm and released in Blu-ray BY THE FANS.
    Reputedly, all the raw footage from the Genesis In Concert shoot still exists, which apparently includes most, if not all, of the setlist that was played on the A Trick Of The Tail tour, so it would just be down to someone making Tony Maylam (I think that's the director's name, he's the one who apparently owns the material in question) a big enough offer to get him interested in doing something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Reputedly, all the raw footage from the Genesis In Concert shoot still exists, which apparently includes most, if not all, of the setlist that was played on the A Trick Of The Tail tour, so it would just be down to someone making Tony Maylam (I think that's the director's name, he's the one who apparently owns the material in question) a big enough offer to get him interested in doing something with it.
    This would be pure gold. Gold I tell ya!!!!