Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Keith Emerson

Damn.RIP Keith Emerson.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

The Keith Emerson Band with Mark Mancina album, I guess, was his last one. It had the best and quirkiest of Emo's playing, and showed he still had it. I always had hope for a follow-up.

EDIT: I didn't know about the "Three Fates" album. I may have to check that out.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Wow, what a shock and what a huge loss for so many of his fans and for music.

In his prime, he was a really, really great keyboardist.

I actually had the pleasure of meeting him, having a few words with him and shaking his hand (having been introduced to him by Robert Moog, no less, after being introduced to Dr. Moog by David Borden!) at a symposium at the Smithsonian museum about electronic music in the early 2000s.

rest in peace, Keith Emerson.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 03-11-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Wow. This one is going to take a while to process.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quite a shock. Been on an ELP kick recently, just underlined for me what fantastic music it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The Keith Emerson Band with Mark Mancina album, I guess, was his last one. It had the best and quirkiest of Emo's playing, and showed he still had it.
    Yes, he still had it.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Completely shocked. Just so happens I listened to 'Return of the Manticore - Disc 1' this morning.

ELP were my favorite group when I was a teenager. And so, Keith Emerson was my favorite keyboardist; still is
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    It looks like it has been removed
    Doesn't come up in the main timeline, but...

https://www.facebook.com/41403634867...type=3&theater

Rolling Stone magazine is running with it as well. RIP Keith, you were a brilliant, blazing star.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-71-20160311
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

So vey sad ... RIP Kieth

Damn. So fortunate to have been able to introduce 2 of my 4 kids to Keith live when he and Greg toured. I've been dreading this day...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

ELP and Keith was one of my all time favorites. Saw them many times first time in '77 at the San Diego Sports Arena (no orchestra). I even saw the Emerson, Lake and Powell tour at San Diego State's Outdoor Theatre. A very sad day! :-(

Man, this nonsense can stop for awhile now.

RIP, Keith.

ELP and i have had an on/off affair over recent times but these are shattering news. RiP and much respect. a true innovator in every sense.

The eons are closing
    ...sigh....ELP were the first band I got all 'completist' over.
    As a keys player myself, I was always in stupefying awe of his talent. Like he had a separate brain just for his left hand!

God speed Keith...

- Thomas
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I remember my brother coming home in the summer of 1973 from the old Playback at Golf and Washington in Glenview, IL with Brain Salad Surgery (and Alice Coppers Killer) and listened with him. I was only 10 years old and have been a fan ever since.

RIP

https://twitter.com/search?q=keith%20emerson&src=typd Some twitter tweets-

Geoffrey Downes ‏@asiageoff · 7m7 minutes ago
    "Devastated to hear of the death of the greatest rock keyboardist ever, my dear friend Keith Emerson. A true genius and inspiration"

John Wetton ‏@arkangel2605 · 17m17 minutes ago
    "So terribly sad to hear of Keith Emerson's passing. We were good friends for many years, and he was a gent, a genius---one of a kind. RIP"

Sean Ono Lennon@seanonolennon · 18m18 minutes ago
    "Keith Emerson R.I.P. This is getting out of control." https://www.instagram.com/p/BC0148jlEsC/

NBC Nightly News ‏@NBCNightlyNews · 25m25 minutes ago
    *JUST IN: Keith Emerson, of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, has died at age 71, the band says on Facebook*

BBC Breaking News‏@BBCBreaking · 1m1 minute ago
    *Progressive rock legend Keith Emerson has died aged 71, a former Emerson, Lake and Palmer bandmate confirms http://bbc.in/1pC6uWW*

Charisma Records ‏@CharismaLabel · 42m42 minutes ago
    "Terrible news about Keith Emerson. He was a major figure in the history of Charisma and made a huge contribution to the music we all love."
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Man. Keith Emerson was my first rock and roll hero. Seeing the broadcast of him and Jon Lord at the California Jam when I was 13 is what made me want to be a keyboard player. I really blew an opportunity to go meet him at an in-store appearance at Music Millennium in Portland - I'd been looking forward to it all week, and when the day came I just forgot. :-/
    I was just going to write a few words about what he meant to me as a player, but it keeps working into paragraphs - I can't do it. But what an impression he left on the rock and roll landscape; in the way of showmanship, in the way he affected the perception of keyboards as a rock instrument, and in the type of involved musical language he was able to introduce in the rock idom.
    Also, what an amazing output of music from 1968 to 1973 - Ars Loga Vita Brevis, Five Bridges and the first five ELP albums. Amazing. He changed the landscape for a lot of players. I know he did for me.

Man, this is so sad. I'm just flooded with memories from '73, '74... sneaking into my older bro's record collection and popping Tarkus, Trilogy, and BSS (and loving every minute) on to the turntable while he was out; seeing ELP on TV late at night and being thrilled (and confused by their accents; my first exposure to Brit accents, I was only 7 or 8)...

He was mammoth, and it's a huge loss. RIP Keith.

I listened to Wakeman and Banks for beauty

I listened to Keith Emerson for power ...
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Purchasing Tarkus at a CD shop in Nashville as a teenager in the mid-90s was so huge for me. I had heard The Yes Album thanks to a friend, and he told me to check out ELP. I knew I was done with the stuff MTV was churning out, and Tarkus pointed the way forward for me. I have no doubt that it imprinted itself on my brain and defined a lot of who I am as a person--not, mind you, in a trivial "wow these lyrics really connect with me" type way. But in a "I'm always going to be looking for something more, deeper, further out" type way.

Crimson, Soft Machine, Henry Cow, Hatfield--they all quickly followed.

Tarkus remains special and absolutely is emotionally, intellectually, spiritually important to me.

And I say this knowing it's a song about a giant armadillo tank monster.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Really a bummer.

Regretfully, this isn't going to get any better with all of our heroes getting older.

RIP.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

What a crappy year for music fans.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Huge, huge loss. Keith was a colossal talent. I was able to meet him briefly at Nearfest, and he came across as a really nice, down to earth guy.