Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Keith Emerson

I just read it on Facebook---I'm facebook friends with Billy Childs a jazz genius who was very influenced by Keith and they were friends---he announced it. If it was a suicide some people just don't do well with old age and losing function. Very sad for him.
    It's been a tough year for prog fans. RIP.

For some reason his passing wasn't mentioned on the news(at least not on the channel I watch in the US).

Very sad news. I'm glad I got to see him many times since 1986... RIP Keith.

Banned
    What can I say, RIP to man who dragged classical composition on keys to rock. Oh there were others, but IMO Keith rocked, literally.

He had white horses
    And ladies by the score
    All dressed in satin
    And waiting by the door
    Ooh, what a lucky man he was
    White lace and feathers
    They made up his bed
    A gold covered mattress
    On which he was laid
    He went to fight wars
    For his country and his king
    Of his honor and his glory
    The people would sing
    A bullet had found him
    His blood ran as he cried
    No money could save him
    So he laid down and he died

Such a loss, heard this before it became public and it was such a shock , he was lovely to deal with and not really what I expected. RIP Keith,

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    For some reason his passing wasn't mentioned on the news(at least not on the channel I watch in the US).
    It was mentioned on tonight's CBS evening news (they played a short concert clip while Scott Pelley announced the news)
    Last edited by Akustika; 03-11-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    It was mentioned on tonight's CBS evening news (they played a short concert clip while Scott Pelley announced the news)
    I watch ABC news. CBS news also mentioned Squire's passing so I'm not too surprised.

Stunned and speechless. RIP Keith. Just spent the week listening to 7 decades of Chris Squire. Now this. unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    A few weeks after I met my (now) wife in '77, I took her to see ELP with full orchestra at the Garden (MSG) and Keith's music has been an integral part of the soundtrack of our lives for almost forty years. RIP Keith.
    I was at that show too. Saw ELP again 2x in the '90's and at NF. That MSG event was magical.

Fathoming that this is a suicide would be more than I could bare.

Shocked and saddened to hear this this morning. Farewell, keyboard maestro and showman extraordinaire!

I'll always have the memory of Emerson kicking his Hammond over and beating the hell out of it in waves of distortion. Something you might expect from a guitarist, not a keyboardist.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

For me it began with Pictures From An Exhibition - played it to death and still know every note and drum beat- hell i even know the crowd noises by heart. Brain Salad Surgery followed and then the backward exploration into Tarkus and Trilogy and the Nice.
    He was simply an unstoppable talent. Intricate progressive rock music played with the technique of a classical prodigy and the ease of a seasoned jazzman. He was all this and and a real composer of substance.
    He had no equal - its as simple as that. We will all miss him - and we will continue to marvel at his dazzling artistry.
    Gutted - just fucking gutted!

ELP was one of those bands, unique and identifiable, you knew them right away. Keith is a legend, a true musician and innovator. Rest in Peace Keith Emerson....

Sigh.

RIP Sir.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

The local Los Angeles ABC News did the story on Emerson but said that ELP was best known for the hit "Lucky Girl". Seriously??!! Lucky Girl??? Shoddy work by the copy writers.

Ugh.

Reading that it might have been suicide literally makes me sick to my stomach. This is just awful.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Only saw him twice but they were both memorable shows. Emerson Lake and Powell 1986 at the Capital Center in Maryland. I remember being surprised to hear Pirates and that it was cool how Keith Emerson attacked his keyboard with a knife. Then 12 years later in a triple bill of Dream Theater, Emerson Lake and Palmer and Deep Purple at Great Woods Mansfield Mass in 1998.

Wow. All or my (our!) musical heroes are passing away. Let's appreciate what we have & be good to ourselves, & each other.

Thank you, Mr. Emerson, for some priceless memories. Your imprint in firmly in my heart.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

sourdough advocate
    I'm just gutted about this. 2016 is such a horrible year because the 60s and 70s were so wonderful. Small consolation right now though. This hurts.
    When in doubt....

Proof that he was a pretty funny guy as well:

https://youtu.be/prB8FIx3fj0?t=32s

I wish I could have met him in person.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Shattered.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

RIP. I only saw ELP once, in the late '90s. What a great show, though, and what a great player. He mixed the highest level of virtuosity with incredible showmanship and wrote some great music, too. A true one-of-a-kind.

RIP my hero, of my fave band....I stayed for autograph session, after the Moscow show of his band in 2008...I said, while shook his hand - 'thank you, it was a great gig indeed'.. He smiled gently, responding - 'thanks for coming', and winked...In 2010 saw the last ELP concert in Victoria Park...Double sad to hear his passing was reported as suicide...goddamn...

What a huge loss. I never got to see ELP but boy did I enjoy their music. I remember reading an article in Musician magazine that chronicled his nerve issues in his hands about 10 or so years ago. It sounded bad then and he had sought out some of the most prominent neurosurgeons worldwide. Must have been awful to deal with this physically and emotionally. I can't think of another keyboardist who married acoustic and electric sounds as well or who were as fluid as he was. RIP.