Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Keith Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    It's probably most accurate to say that it's caused by a complex interaction of genetics, neurology, experiences across a lifetime and specific events acting and feeding back on themselves.
    Most certainly so.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sure would like to hear what Phil Collins has to say about depression and Keith's passing.......

No. That's not how clinical depression or other mental health issues associated with suicide work.

We don't know why Emerson made the decision he did. There could be all sorts of issues we don't know about. We do know that ~90% of suicides are associated with mental health problems and that Emerson had deperession. Mental health problems can mean that the individual is not acting rationally. In that context, looking for some logical explanation can be a fool's errand. Depression may be triggered by life events, but it may be more meaningful to say it is caused by a disordered brain chemistry, a neurochemical disorder. It's probably most accurate to say that it's caused by a complex interaction of genetics, neurology, experiences across a lifetime and specific events acting and feeding back on themselves.

Henry
    FWIW...I was good friends with someone who had some lifelong challenges with clinical depression. We talked about it from time to time, and he described to me how strong some impulses could be. I remember in particular his telling me one day that he got up and felt really great, like the best day. And he began entertaining thoughts of suicide because hey, there's no way it could get better than this so why not. He didn't follow through, but it really illustrated to me just how much those impulses can come out of nowhere. Through his illness, even a great day could inadvertently put him at risk of something self-destructive.

I'm not trying to pretend like I knew what was in Emerson's mind, or what particular path must have led him to his end. Just trying to reinforce the point you're making Henry.

I'd be lying if I said he was the biggest influence, but there was a time in the mid-90's (as I was first discovering prog) when ELP was the bomb. Unlike some groups, the dazzle didn't quite last as much (tastes change). In some ways, the biggest influence Emerson had on me ended up being more of a cautionary tale; I learned to be a lot more careful with technique and arm strain to avoid potentially finding myself sharing some of his physical difficulties. I did break out my own fave of his over the weekend though (ELPowell) and really enjoyed it. Even if he'd not really been on my radar in some time, I'm sorry that he's passed on.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Brant kindly tweeted this photo of myself and Keith and it is devastating what has happened and I heard the news shortly after it had happened and that was just before going on stage with my son Adam. Keith and I always got on great and had tried on numerous occasions to produce an album together, but it never happened because of third parties interfering, which upset us both. We did jam together on a couple of occasions and knew we could have produced something quite special, but sadly that was never to be. My heartfelt love goes out to Mari and all the extended family. I will miss you...

Rick Wakeman
    13th March 2016

Keith Emerson and Rick at the 2014 Prog Rock Awards © Prog Rock Awards

Thank you, Henry, for providing sensible comment- I was truly appalled by that article in The Daily Mail (a paper which actually increasingly seems to set the agenda in the UK...not really like The National Enquirer, which is just taken as fluff, as far as I can see. I in fact had stopped clicking on their links after an article comparing the reaction of people's deaths between David Bowie and Terry Wogan, implying the reaction to the latter was more genuine, and I wished I'd continued doing so. I will now!)

Over the last couple of days this death has hit me more than any musician's...in the end, much more than David Bowie and Chris Squire, because those were both essentially terminal cancer cases, with little that could be done. However, I still can barely process this, questioning whether I did not express my appreciation for his brilliance at his peak enough whilst he was alive. But I've been a fan since hearing a best of ELP when I was a child, and over the years acquired most of his significant studio output, from that Nice debut through to the Keith Emerson Band album in 2008. (Light on his solo stuff, because of its sketchy availability, but I do have the Hammer It Out anthology.)

I did wonder whether I'd even be able to play any of his work again, but I find that I can and still love the bravura brilliance of his 60s/70s stuff as much as I did before this news. That same bravura brilliance is what needs to be remembered.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-15-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Greg Lake says Keith Emerson’s tragic death “didn’t come as a shock to me”

Greg Lake says the tragic death of Emerson, Lake And Palmer bandmate Keith Emerson was no shock to him.

The keyboard icon died last week as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 71.

Frontman Lake reports that Emerson had been struggling with depression since at least 1977, and believes the illness claimed his life.

Lake tells the Express: “I have to be honest and say his death didn’t come as a shock to me. The situation with Keith didn’t happen suddenly – it has been developed from as far back as The Works Vol 1 album. At that point I began to see things happening with Keith which didn’t look or feel right.”

He adds: “It’s very difficult to describe what depression is. We all know what it looks like. People’s moods become very black. But it’s more complicated. It changes someone’s personality.

“He lived, in the end, this very lonely existence of someone who was deeply troubled. I saw someone who became increasingly confused, desperate and depressed.”

Emerson’s girlfriend has reported that the musician was “tormented with worry” over a degenerative disease that made it difficult for him to play, and she’s suggested that was the main reason behind his final act.

Lake says: “I’m sure that was a component – but a lot of people are given bad news like that, and you don’t take your life because of it.”

He urges: “If anyone does have feelings of being so desperate that they think it’s better off not to wake up tomorrow, please talk to somebody. The doctor, your friend, anybody.

“Talk to them and tell them what state you’re in. If Keith had taken that path, he might still be here today.”

Help and advice is available worldwide for people struggling with suicidal thoughts.

Meanwhile, ELP drummer Carl Palmer has vowed to keep Emerson’s music alive. He says via Facebook: “I will deeply miss Keith. We have lost a very talented and gifted musician, but this great music will continue for a long, long time.

“I will be looking at putting together a tribute show to Keith, hopefully in June this year. This, I feel, is the very least I can do to honour Keith’s talent and musicianship.”

Rick Wakeman has paid his own tribute to Emerson, saying: “Keith and I always got on great and had tried on numerous occasions to produce an album together, but it never happened because of third parties interfering, which upset us both.

“We did jam together on a couple of occasions and knew we could have produced something quite special – but sadly that was never to be.”

Dream Theater’s Jordan Rudess has described Emerson as his “idol,” telling Rolling Stone: “His music meant so much to me. He was a friend and a really nice guy.”

And I think Greg Lake has also provided some sensible comment here too, linking it to a long chain of historic events rather than one single trigger.

FYI, this was posted today on Facebook from Keith's girlfriend, Mari... I believe she's talking about the interview in the Daily Mail (The British Enquirer) that has been trending on the net.

I was going to ignore this, but I cannot bare it anymore. There is an interview of me going around in the newspapers everywhere. Please know that there are many gross inaccuracies in this article in the manner that my words are twisted around, altered, taken out of context, or plain "I didn't say it". I've been told, "That's British tabloid for ya!" It angers me that I fell for it in my most vulnerable moment. Live and learn.

So, any speculation that Keith killed himself because of negative reviews or he couldn't bear to disappoint his fans, is just absurd.

^It's exactly what I thought. It seemed terribly blunt as a quote and I'm pleased but not at all surprised that Mari has confirmed this... all whilst having enough to deal with in grieving his death. My opinion of the 'Mail has sunk even lower than I thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    And I think Greg Lake has also provided some sensible comment here too, linking it to a long chain of historic events rather than one single trigger.
    I emphasize strongly that this is not meant to be sarcastic or a tasteless joke, but if Greg's comments (which were certainly plausible) were taken to heart by Mr. Lake himself and applied to eating, drinking & physical fitness, he could probably add some more years to his own life.

This post was made from inside a glass house.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

As an aside, I advise everyone to dig out 'Aquatarkus' on Welcome Back My Friends...that's how to remember him and indeed ELP. Truly gonzo, brilliant music making, taking no prisoners.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll probably get shot down for being negative in an RIP thread but does anyone else get a vibe from Carl Palmer that he's taking the opportunity to promote his band? "I really miss Keith, come and see my tribute band perform all his hits".
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I haven't been affected this much by one of my musical hero's passing since Hendrix died. Same sense of great loss to the world of music.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'll probably get shot down for being negative in an RIP thread but does anyone else get a vibe from Carl Palmer that he's taking the opportunity to promote his band? "I really miss Keith, come and see my tribute band perform all his hits".
    From Palmer's website:

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson.

Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz.

I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft.

I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.

Carl Palmer
    March 11, 2016

To everyone who posted such wonderfully kind thoughts and tributes following Keith's tragic death I would like to say the following:

I will deeply miss Keith and I want you all to know I will carry on flying the ELP banner and playing the great music with my band for many years to come.

We have lost a very talented and gifted musician but this great music will continue for a long, long time.

I will be looking at putting together a tribute show to Keith Emerson hopefully in June this year, and I hope this is something you will all want to come along and see to help celebrate his music.

This I feel, is the very least I can do to honour Keith's talent and musicianship in the best way I know.

Thank you again

Carl"

I don't see anything there I have a problem with. I don't think it's "promotional" of him to say he's going to keep on playing the music of ELP. Was there something else you saw that gave you this impression?

Bill

Not sure if anyone posted this:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...ake-palmer-elp

It's a tribute by James Sclavunos, of the bands Teenage Jesus and the Jerks and The Bad Seeds. Its existence again reminds me how downright stupid the continued staged 'rivalry' between prog and punk is, and how ridiculous it's carried on for as long as it has.

MiM thank you for sharing Mari's words. The whole thought of a handful of fan reviews from trolls would give him reason to take his life seemed far fetched at best and her quote today explains why it didn't add up. To write as if it was the only factor just didn't make sense. Now it's easy to see why.

NO

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not sure if anyone posted this:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...ake-palmer-elp

It's a tribute by James Sclavunos, of the bands Teenage Jesus and the Jerks and The Bad Seeds. Its existence again reminds me how downright stupid the continued staged 'rivalry' between prog and punk is, and how ridiculous it's carried on for as long as it has.
    Great piece! I particularly liked this:

"I’m not one of those who exalt rock’s native “simplicity”, who claim how much more authentic such efforts are and who regard efforts to intellectualise rock as misguided. I’m more intrigued by rock musicians who overreached, and by the uncomfortable intersections of intellectual intent and popular music they came up with. ELP are the quintessence of highfalutin artistic aspirations mixed with technical exuberance, propped up by every whim rock stardom can muster. They embody the dizzying heights, sublime accomplishments and abysmal pretensions of such an approach."

I thought he pretty much nailed it there.

I have a question, though, and I'm not sure why it hadn't dawned on me before. What on earth are ELP doing in the Montreal Olympic Stadium in February?

6101.jpg

Like others have said, that video of ELP playing Fanfare is one of the watershed memories I have of getting into Prog. But why in the world were they there in middle of a Canadian winter? Was it just for the promo shoot, or were they actually rehearsing? It must have been freezing! Was it all done just to get awesome shots like the one above?

Bill

Peter Gabriel
    24 mins ·

The music world suffered yet another loss last week with the very sad suicide of Keith Emerson.

Tony Banks and I were both big fans of Keith’s first successful group, The Nice. It was sometimes a four piece with Davey O’List, Lee Jackson on bass and Ian Hague on drums. With ‘Rondo’ and ‘America’ and Keith’s theatrics, it was without doubt one of the most exciting live groups in the UK. The group was initially produced and managed by Andrew Loog Oldham, but brought in sports journalist Tony Stratton Smith when they fell out with Oldham. It was because of The Nice that Genesis ended up with Tony Stratton Smith.

Many more people were aware of ELP (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), which played to much bigger audiences, but for me it was the intensity, excitement and musicality of The Nice’s music that was particularly inspiring. Not many people know that Jimmy Hendrix was so impressed that he asked to join the band, and I was always sad I never saw them play together.

Keith’s passion for good music, whether it was classical, jazz or rock, was in itself one of the things that led the progressive rock movement.

It is sad to say goodbye to him.

- pg

(photo: Jorgen Angel/Redferns)

Like you, I question many things, but deep inside I don't think it's about that.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Like you, I question many things, but deep inside I don't think it's about that.
    Agree. I dont smell anything bad about it. I've noticed it more and more - why do people have to find something in an event such as this - that HAS to be bad or sinister. Let it go. We move on and hopefully go enjoy Carl playing Keith's great music.

Ian Hague on drums?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Re: Olympic Stadium. I believe that was when ELP was rehearsing for the Works tour (or maybe just the Montreal show) and there was a freak early spring snowstorm? I'm sure there's folks here who know better than me and can set it straight. But as far as iconic prog rock images go, yeah, that Fanfare video is up there with the Slipperman costume or the cover of ITCOTCK for me. In fact, I always thought the Fanfare video was much cooler than the actual song. No pun intended.

No. That's not how clinical depression or other mental health issues associated with suicide work.

We don't know why Emerson made the decision he did. There could be all sorts of issues we don't know about. We do know that ~90% of suicides are associated with mental health problems and that Emerson had deperession. Mental health problems can mean that the individual is not acting rationally. In that context, looking for some logical explanation can be a fool's errand. Depression may be triggered by life events, but it may be more meaningful to say it is caused by a disordered brain chemistry, a neurochemical disorder. It's probably most accurate to say that it's caused by a complex interaction of genetics, neurology, experiences across a lifetime and specific events acting and feeding back on themselves.

Henry
    You're right, Henry. Severe depression is a lifelong mental illness. It's not caused by any particular event in life; it just is. Something is wrong in the brain of the sufferer.

Unfortunately I know this first-hand. Real depression is a hell unimaginable to people with normal brains. It's life-destroying.

What was upsetting Keith at the end, such as criticism from fans, was if anything just the straw that broke the camel's back. The potential for suicide must have been in him for a long time.

People like me look for reasons to stay alive. The call to suicide is always there, though, beckoning us to come. I hope Keith is at peace now.