Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - "The Wall" - The Opera!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I agree. Probably should have put that in there. They definitely are better as a whole, but I find that there are Waters fans who think he was the whole and that his solo material is on par (or almost on par) with Floyd material. I don't see that from Gilmour fans so much.
    There's no doubt that the members of Floyd all complemented each other. Split up, they are all less than the total, but IMO there are memorable parts of all the Waters and Gilmour solo albums and the post Waters Floyd albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's no doubt that the members of Floyd all complemented each other. Split up, they are all less than the total, but IMO there are memorable parts of all the Waters and Gilmour solo albums and the post Waters Floyd albums.
    I didn't post anything to the contrary.

So, let me get this straight. Roger Waters cannot "milk" the work he created, but bands like The Australian Pink Floyd Project can play sheds (in the U.S.) and arenas (in Europe) playing Pink Floyd songs? Clearly, there is an audience that wants Pink Floyd music any way they can get it.

I wish I was in Montreal to see this.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

^^ +1
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    So, let me get this straight. Roger Waters cannot "milk" the work he created, but bands like The Australian Pink Floyd Project can play sheds (in the U.S.) and arenas (in Europe) playing Pink Floyd songs? Clearly, there is an audience that wants Pink Floyd music any way they can get it.
    I think the issue is that tribute bands are just that: tribute bands. What you would hope for, from artists who create such iconic works as The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon (to name just two; and I'm not really a big Wall fan, to be honest), is some new music, at the very least, to go along with their touring of repertoire material.

If Waters puts out a new album in 2017, I'll take back some of what I've said. But if he continues to milk his back catalog for huge bucks while releasing absolutely no new music (let's not forget that, barring his opera - which was only an ok opera, even according to my wife, who is a much bigger opera fan than I - he has not released any new music since Amused to Death, which is almost a quarter century old), well, then while he is certainly entitled to do it as much (or more) than all those tribute bands, the difference is I don't expect anything more from a tribute band but what they do. From an artist like Waters - especially given the size of his ego about his work - I would expect him to do something new.

Heck, even Peter Gabriel has not made fans wait so long for a new record

I'd agree. I bought the Pure Blu Ray Audio of Amused to Death and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it...more, frankly, than The Wall in all its various incarnations (Berlin, the new concert film, the animated/live film with Bob Geldof). I think my problem with Waters is that he's as capable as any of his ex-Floyd band mates of making very good music, but he seems unable to sustain any momentum. At least when Gilmour tours it's in support of a new record - his or PF. He may play older Floyd material, but he always includes a healthy amount of new material as well. That's why I prefer him to Waters.

I hear ya, but I don't think there's anyone hoping that bands like The Australian Pink Floyd Project are going to produce new, excellent music.

Good point, indeed...

Hundreds of bands are milking dry their past - Wishbone ash for ex... And don't anyone tell me that they put out new albums... Nobody gives a shit about the "new albums"

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I think the issue is that tribute bands are just that: tribute bands. What you would hope for, from artists who create such iconic works as The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon (to name just two; and I'm not really a big Wall fan, to be honest), is some new music, at the very least, to go along with their touring of repertoire material.

If Waters puts out a new album in 2017, I'll take back some of what I've said. But if he continues to milk his back catalog for huge bucks while releasing absolutely no new music (let's not forget that, barring his opera - which was only an ok opera, even according to my wife, who is a much bigger opera fan than I - he has not released any new music since Amused to Death, which is almost a quarter century old), well, then while he is certainly entitled to do it as much (or more) than all those tribute bands, the difference is I don't expect anything more from a tribute band but what they do. From an artist like Waters - especially given the size of his ego about his work - I would expect him to do something new.
    You seem to forget the Ca Ira (a double album) opera/ballet of 2005.... Plus the little new stuff of the double live album in the late 90's.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Good point, indeed...

Hundreds of bands are milking dry their past - Wishbone ash for ex... And don't anyone tell me that they put out new albums... Nobody gives a shit about the "new albums"

You seem to forget the Ca Ira (a double album) opera/ballet of 2005.... Plus the little new stuff of the double live album in the late 90's.
    I think Ca Ira is what he was referring to as "his opera."

Waters could put together a "Pink Floyd Legacy" band to play Floyd back catalog and I don't think anyone would mind. Certainly Gilmour has done well mixing back catalog with post-Floyd works.

What I find distasteful, frankly, is that Waters seems determined to recycle, rework, reimagine his Floyd-era work over and over -- as a movie, as an opera, as a Broadway play, as a video game, as a children's book, as a breakfast cereal. Why doesn't he have any new ideas, why isn't he moving forward with his life? He has always told us how creative he is and how his vision is the vision that created the Pink Floyd momentum. What's happened to that since he quit the band?

It never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Waters could put together a "Pink Floyd Legacy" band to play Floyd back catalog and I don't think anyone would mind. Certainly Gilmour has done well mixing back catalog with post-Floyd works.

What I find distasteful, frankly, is that Waters seems determined to recycle, rework, reimagine his Floyd-era work over and over -- as a movie, as an opera, as a Broadway play, as a video game, as a children's book, as a breakfast cereal. Why doesn't he have any new ideas, why isn't he moving forward with his life? He has always told us how creative he is and how his vision is the vision that created the Pink Floyd momentum. What's happened to that since he quit the band?
    Townshend is almost, but not quite, as guilty of this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

as a breakfast cereal.
    What a cool idea! They could be the opposite of Cheerios: Depressios! They get soggy, sullen, and bitter in milk!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    What a cool idea! They could be the opposite of Cheerios: Depressios! They get soggy, sullen, and bitter in milk!

I think Ca Ira is what he was referring to as "his opera."
    So heis!! My bad

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Townshend is almost, but not quite, as guilty of this.
    "Come on! Write a new rock opera or I'll hobble you!"

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Ya know, I was soooo Team Waters during the Floyd Wars in the eighties and early nineties, but Waters hasn't done much of anything meaningful since Amused To Death while Gilmour has put out two solo records I enjoy quite a bit and The Endless River has turned out to be my favorite post Wall Floyd related release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Not counting Ca Ira (because who does?) Rick Wright has released more new music since Amused to Death than Roger has!

"Come on! Write a new rock opera or I'll hobble you!"
    So sez Roger's "biggest fan"...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

How is reworking The Wall for different mediums not creative? This is where Roger is focusing his creativity.If he released five simultaneous versions of The Wall in different musical styles (disco, reggae, EDM, country and metal) would he not be deemed creative?

Tommy was an album, tour (with characters), movie and Broadway play. Were the Who not being creative?
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

^^ certainly better than releasing remasters of the same material every few years.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Got:

PF 'The Wall' album vinyl (twice, I played the first one to death. Wasn't amused ).
    The Wall Mofi half speed mastered vinyl
    Live in Berlin concert on vhs
    The Wall CD
    The Wall Mofi half speed mastered CD
    The Wall in the Shine On box set
    Is there anybody out there? The Wall Live CD
    The Wall DVD of Roger Waters latest tour. Excellent, I wish I saw it in person.

I'm sure there is another version or three out there, but I have all of The Wall that I need. I am not an opera fan, don't have Ca Ira either. I wish he would tackle something else and I will get a non Wall, non opera release ; autobuy. Waters is certainly entitled to keep doing the Wall are anything else he wants to. It is the fans decision to back it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Got:

PF 'The Wall' album vinyl (twice, I played the first one to death. Wasn't amused ).
    The Wall CD

I'm sure there is another version or three out there, but I have all of The Wall that I need. I am not an opera fan, don't have Ca Ira either. I wish he would tackle something else and I will get a non Wall, non opera release ; autobuy. Waters is certainly entitled to keep doing the Wall are anything else he wants to. It is the fans decision to back it or not.

Coming in 2017: The official Roger Waters - The Wall "Wanna Take a Bath?" Loofah (This is not so far fetched, as I just saw on Asia's website there's a "The Heat of the Moment" oven mitt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Got:

The Wall CD

I too have shelled out lotsa $$$ for numerous versions of The Wall. Also saw 2 Nassau Coliseum concerts 35+ years ago. Roger certainly can do whatever the hell he wants with it. There will always be stadiums full of next generation kids that will gobble it up in the future if RW decides to tour it again in 5 years from now. In the meantime the opera will keep him busy, then Broadway, a Cirque du Soleil Vegas show and of course the Saturday morning kids cartoon. Plenty of milking to come.
    It's a profitable product for Roger and his $upporter$. Why risk spending time on new music when The Wall atm is treating him nicely?

Can't wait for Gilmour at RCMH!!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973