Thread: Rainbow live at Castle Donnington DVD/CD

Rainbow live at Castle Donnington DVD/CD

This will please Rainbow fans as they have been clamouring for this 1980 show to be released!

Rainbow's Monsters Of Rock appearance will be issued in a DVD and CD package next month

Eagle Rock Entertainment release Monsters Of Rock - Live At Donington 1980 on April 22. The DVD contains all the surviving footage from the show and the release marks the first time the audio from the performance has been available as a full-length standalone CD.

It includes performances of Since You Been Gone, All Night Long, Stargazer, Long Live Rock ‘N’ Roll, Catch The Rainbow, Eyes Of The World and more.

The show, held on August 16, 1980, saw Rainbow headline the first rock festival to be staged at Castle Donington – the home of today's Download festival.

It was the culmination of the band’s tour in support of Down To Earth, released in 1979, and would prove to be the last live show featuring the lineup of Ritchie Blackmore, Don Airey, Graham Bonnet, Roger Glover and Cozy Powell.

Ritchie Blackmore will mark his return to rock this year when he performs at at the Monsters Of Rock festivals in Germany on June 17 and 18, then at the Genting Arena in Birmingham, UK, on June 25.

His band features vocalist Ronnie Romero, bassist Bob Nouveau, keyboardist Jens Johansson and drummer David Keith.

Rainbow Monster Of Rock DVD cover

RAINBOW MONSTERS OF ROCK LIVE AT DONINGTON 1980 TRACKLIST

DVD
    1.Lazy
    2.All Night Long
    3.Catch The Rainbow
    4.Eyes Of The World
    5.Guitar Solo
    6.Difficult To Cure
    7.Will You Love Me Tomorrow
    8.Long Live Rock ‘N’ Roll

CD
    1.Intro/Eyes Of The World
    2.Since You Been Gone
    3.Stargazer
    4.Catch The Rainbow
    5.Lost In Hollywood/Guitar Solo
    6.Difficult To Cure/Keyboard Solo
    7.Drum Solo/Lost In Hollywood (reprise)
    8.Lazy
    9.All Night Long
    10.Blues
    11.Will You Love Me Tomorrow
    12.Long Live Rock ‘N’ Roll

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The DVD doesn't have Stargazer? That track list is somewhat less exciting.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Needs to be listened to while sitting in a bath of mud and your speakers in a different room.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    This will please Rainbow fans as they have been clamouring for this 1980 show to be released!

[I]Rainbow's Monsters Of Rock appearance will be issued in a DVD and CD package next month

Eagle Rock Entertainment release Monsters Of Rock - Live At Donington 1980 on April 22. The DVD contains all the surviving footage from the show and the release marks the first time the audio from the performance has been available as a full-length standalone CD.

It includes performances of Since You Been Gone, All Night Long, Stargazer, Long Live Rock ‘N’ Roll, Catch The Rainbow, Eyes Of The World and more.

The show, held on August 16, 1980, saw Rainbow headline the first rock festival to be staged at Castle Donington – the home of today's Download festival.

It was the culmination of the band’s tour in support of Down To Earth, released in 1979, and would prove to be the last live show featuring the lineup of Ritchie Blackmore, Don Airey, Graham Bonnet, Roger Glover and Cozy Powell.
    This sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Ritchie Blackmore will mark his return to rock this year when he performs at at the Monsters Of Rock festivals in Germany on June 17 and 18, then at the Genting Arena in Birmingham, UK, on June 25.

His band features vocalist Ronnie Romero, bassist Bob Nouveau, keyboardist Jens Johansson and drummer David Keith.
    Hmm, interesting choice for keyboardist, considering who one of Johansson's former employers is.

Funny how life is. I just found this about two hours ago and was watching it when my mind wandered and I ended up here.

It's about time some of this old crap comes to light, especially in DVD form. I'm still waiting for Sammy Hagar's 1983 Checkerdome show getting released - and I know it's still available as it was used in the Styx Behind the Music from 2012 - which I also just saw a few hours ago.

Why no Stargazer - Ritchie, U mad bro? - isn't on this is a bit baffling, to say the least.

I just got to the end of Lost in Hollywood. The ending solo piece Ritchie plays is the end of the guitar solo on Death Ally Driver. No, I'm wrong, it's the end of the keyboard solo of that tune.

I actually prefer the word lead instead of solo, as it's technically not solo, but who's arguing semantics?

Last edited by TheLoony; 03-10-2016 at 08:06 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Funny how life is. I just found this about two hours ago and was watching it when my mind wandered and I ended up here.

It's about time some of this old crap comes to light, especially in DVD form. I'm still waiting for Sammy Hagar's 1983 Checkerdome show getting released - and I know it's still available as it was used in the Styx Behind the Music from 2012 - which I also just saw a few hours ago.
    Is that the one that was shown on MTV, with him playing Baba O'Riley for the encore? As I recall, there's a bit where part of the lighting rig comes down, forms a ramp and he runs up into the lighting rig (a couple years before Kiss did a similar gag.
    Why no Stargazer - Ritchie, U mad bro? - isn't on this is a bit baffling, to say the least.
    On what? The Capitol Theater concert or the Castle Donnington one? Maybe they weren't doing it on the US leg of the tour (note that it's not on the Rockpalast show with Ronnie on vocals, either). It's on the CD of the Donnington show, so maybe it was only done on the UK/Euro leg of the tour, but in the case of Castle Donnington, they only shot part of the show, and that was one of the songs that wasn't shot.

Or maybe they're holding out so they'll have some bait for when they put out another version of the same concert 5 years from now.

GG, yeah, that's the show. I was going to shows by that time but hadn't seen more than a few and this Sammy show and the Rainbow Live Between the Eyes were two that really made me want to try and do that, even though I failed at that. It's on Youtube as a video copy of the broadcast but it really should have been released properly. Sammy is one hell of a showman and this particular show, because it's St. Louis and there's some kind of weird relationship between Sammy and that city, is really spectacular.

I could be wrong but I thought they played Stargazer at Donnington. Been a while since I listened to whatever I have from that show. He did say he'll be playing it in the upcoming shows so we'll at least get a live version from that.

GG, yeah, that's the show. I was going to shows by that time but hadn't seen more than a few and this Sammy show and the Rainbow Live Between the Eyes were two that really made me want to try and do that, even though I failed at that. It's on Youtube as a video copy of the broadcast but it really should have been released properly. Sammy is one hell of a showman and this particular show, because it's St. Louis and there's some kind of weird relationship between Sammy and that city, is really spectacular.
    I gather St Louis was one of those places where he was huge. That was back in the day where bands could have pockets of popularity in various scattered places in this or that region. That line in the one Mike And The Mechanics video, "We're very popular in Guildford", is kinda applicable here. I remember hearing a story about how the executives at Casablanca noticed that the Detroit Rock City single was selling in only two cities, Detroit and Atlanta (I think Atlanta was the other city). It was obvious why it was selling in Detroit, so they dispatched an envoy to find out why it was doing so well in Atlanta (turns out some DJ had decided to flip the single over and was playing the B-side, which was Beth, and took off there, and that led to Casablanca issuing Beth as a single A-side).

So I imagine St Louis was like that for Sammy Hagar. As a side note, I remember him saying he nervous about his first show with Van Halen, because it was in Shreveport, Louisiana, which he had never played in, because "I never got any airplay there".

Anyway, I don't know why, but I was a huge Who nut circa 82-85 or so. I remember watching that Hagar concert and when he introduced Baba O'Riley, to me it was so cool that he called them the greatest band ever and he did that cool version of that song.

MTV had a lot of really cool concerts. I remember the Rainbow Live Between The Eyes show (particularly seeing Ritchie smash his Strat during Long Live Rock N Roll and tossing it into the crowd, and the short version of Maybe Next Time he did as a prelude to Smoke On The Water). Triumph had a really good show from the Allied Forces tour on MTV too. I also remember them showing an Eric Clapton concert a few years after that, from the Behind The Sun tour, which had some awesome extended jams (I actually copied that one onto Betamax!). And the David Gilmour Hammersmith Odeon show from 84 was another favorite, which I ended up VHSing and then later buying the official VHS video release. And I think they also showed both the Three Sides Live and Mama Tour videos (I have a distinct memory of dozing off during the Three Sides Live broadcast, though I saw it when they showed it again a few years later).

MTV had a lot of really cool concerts.
    What was the festival that ended with Pink Floyd playing in the rain? I remember that mighty circle of lights, the rain pouring down, and Gilmour looked like a god.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    What was the festival that ended with Pink Floyd playing in the rain? I remember that mighty circle of lights, the rain pouring down, and Gilmour looked like a god.
    That was Knebworth, 1990. If I remember correctly, the bill was something like Tears For Fears, Status Quo (probably their highest profile Stateside TV appearance ever), Eric Clapton/Mark Knopfler/Elton John, Robert Plant (with Jimmy Page sitting in on a couple songs), Phil Collins/Genesis (first time Genesis had played together in something like 3 years), Paul McCartney, and finishing with Pink Floyd.

As I recall, the event actually took place about a month before the MTV broadcast. MTV cut everyone's set to ribbons, and they inserted commercial breaks in the middle of sets. At one point, I think it's Martha Quinn makes some cryptic remark about the guest that "might" be joining Plant, saying "There's an extra guitar onstage...", like she was teasing us with something we didn't know (maybe most viewers didn't, but I did, because I listened to the radio broadcast of the festival, which actually was live)

As I recall, Pink Floyd's set was something like Shine On You Crazy Diamond pts. I-V (most of it, anyway), Great Gig In The Sky (with Claire Torry reprising her vocal performance!), Wish You Were Here, Sorrow, Money, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell, but MTV left Money and Great Gig In The Sky out of the broadcast. The "big circle of lights" was the backdrop film screen that was part of Pink Floyd's regular stage rig, and in fact, if you watched the other bands, every once in awhile, you'd see a shot where you could see it suspended in the lighting rig, parallel with the stage, before I guess being lowered down for Pink Floyd's set.

I remember the amazing laser effects during the Comfortably Numb ride out, with Gilmour and his red Strat obviously getting drenched in the rain. And also all the cool pyro effects during Run Like Hell. That must have been something to witness first hand.

The other thing I remember MTV cutting, I think, was a medley that McCartney did during his encore, which I believe included Strawberry Fields Forever.

The Genesis documentary that came out on VHS in the early 90's, I guess they must have been preparing that while they were rehearsing for Knebworth, because there's a bit where the interviewer asks them what they were gonna play and why (I think it was That's All, Mama, and Turn It On Again). Mike Rutherford gives the answer then says, "As to why we're doing those songs, well I think that's obvious", and Phil chimes in with, "They've only got three chords!".

Finally picked this one up. The video is nothing I hadn't seen, I assume, but may have a song or a few minutes that I didn't already have. The quality is better but that's about it.

The cd has Stargazer and Catch The Rainbow which are the highlights even if it's not what you would think Bonnet to be singing about. I think he did pretty ok but his ramblings in All Night Long were a bit long. Poor Cozy back there just beating his bass drum for seemingly forever.

I don't think the album I have of Donnington has the full version of that. His ramblings are cut a bit, IIRC, but I do know the Heavy metal comp tape I bought 30 plus years ago was a cut version.

Nice to have this. I think I'm pretty well caught up with the Deep Purple/ Rainbow history. There's probably a live one here and there I'm missing but do I really need it all? Only took forty years.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 01-01-2021 at 02:01 AM.

Hard to believe I saw Rainbow with three different singers (Dio, Bonnet, Turner), three keyboardists (Stone, Airey, Rosenthal), two bassists (Daisley, Glover) & two Drummists (Powell, Rondinelli). Always loved their shows but man, it was a revolving door of players

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Hard to believe I saw Rainbow with three different singers (Dio, Bonnet, Turner), three keyboardists (Stone, Airey, Rosenthal), two bassists (Daisley, Glover) & two Drummists (Powell, Rondinelli). Always loved their shows but man, it was a revolving door of players
    I've seen a few of those guys perform, but never with Blackmore. I saw Dio perform on his own (on a bill with Deep Purple and Scorpions) and with Heaven And Hell, I saw Bonnett sing wtih Michael Schenker, I've seen Airey and Glover play with Deep Purple three times, and I believe I saw Rondinelli play with The Lizards (who were opening for Uli Jon Roth). Oh yeah, and I saw Dave Rosenthal play with Happy The Man!

And yeah, Rainbow had a lot of people in it over the years. I thikn how long anyone lasted was dependent on how long they could put up with Ritchie.

Never did get to see Cozy Powell live.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've seen a few of those guys perform, but never with Blackmore. I saw Dio perform on his own (on a bill with Deep Purple and Scorpions) and with Heaven And Hell, I saw Bonnett sing wtih Michael Schenker, I've seen Airey and Glover play with Deep Purple three times, and I believe I saw Rondinelli play with The Lizards (who were opening for Uli Jon Roth). Oh yeah, and I saw Dave Rosenthal play with Happy The Man!

And yeah, Rainbow had a lot of people in it over the years. I thikn how long anyone lasted was dependent on how long they could put up with Ritchie.

Never did get to see Cozy Powell live.
    Graham Bonnet seems to have such a powerful voice, not great or whatever, just powerful, like he's losing his balls every time he belts it out. All the Rainbow singers had their charms but damn, he screams like his toes are curling.

I think it's not necessarily whether they could put up with Ritchie it was whether he could put up wit them. He gets bored and always thinks the grass is greener. But yeah, it's about 50/50 on the band splits I'd say.

I've seen Ritchie in DP and Rainbow and Airey and Glover in DP. Ian Paice, outside of DP maybe, with Gary Moore but I think he had already bolted for the DP reunion. Dio, of course and I think that's it. Ooh, forgot Jimmy Bain with Dio. Ok, that's a handful I'll have so I'll have to ruminate on this one.

So many guys I'd think I'd seen more but alas I don't think so.

Graham Bonnet seems to have such a powerful voice, not great or whatever, just powerful, like he's losing his balls every time he belts it out. All the Rainbow singers had their charms but damn, he screams like his toes are curling.
    So true!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Even though this ain't a DP thread, it's close enough. Thought I'd picked up all I needed in the DP/Rainbow canon but I did need that last one, the dvd of DP Live w/ the LSO re-doing the Concerto.

It's nice and all but why couldn't they give us the full show? Had the cd for years and there's more there so WTF? They do do well (that syntax looks funny) with that jazzy type orchestra as shown later in W/Orchestra, the lamest title ever but I digress.

NOW, I'm done. Bloody well really really done with these two bands. I've bought it all and I'm never buying anything else. Period.

I think it's not necessarily whether they could put up with Ritchie it was whether he could put up wit them. He gets bored and always thinks the grass is greener. But yeah, it's about 50/50 on the band splits I'd say.

I've seen Ritchie in DP and Rainbow and Airey and Glover in DP. Ian Paice, outside of DP maybe, with Gary Moore but I think he had already bolted for the DP reunion. Dio, of course and I think that's it. Ooh, forgot Jimmy Bain with Dio. Ok, that's a handful I'll have so I'll have to ruminate on this one.

So many guys I'd think I'd seen more but alas I don't think so.
    Never seen Purple, but I've seen Coverdale, Lord and Paice in Whitesnake; Blackmore and Glover in Rainbow, and Gillan.

Dio I saw with Black Sabbath, and Jimmy Bain with Wild Horses (him and Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy).