Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bouffant Hair Style In Music

Best Bouffant Hair Style In Music

I don't believe the lovely bouffant that Karen Carpenter had for a couple of years can be bettered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kim Jong Un.

Last edited by moecurlythanu; 03-08-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Brian Ferry:

Buster Johansen Poindexter
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Cindy Wilson
    B52s

cindywilson.jpg
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

hair.jpg

The Bigger the Hair, The Closer to Jesus!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Goldy McJohn Steppenwolf

Esperanza Spalding

Maybe not what the OP was looking for but Wiki: "A bouffant /buːˈfɒnt/ is a type of hairstyle characterized by hair raised high on the head and usually covering the ears or hanging down on the sides."

Those are Frofants.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Isaac hayes

Probably doesn't count, but Phil Lynott was the first that came to my mind:

music-phil-lynott-richmond-surrey-2-752x501.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Cindy Wilson
    B52s

cindywilson.jpg
    I remember hearing once the reason she and Kate Pierson ditched the beehives was because their hair was starting to fall out from all the crap they had to use to maintain that hairstyle.

Roger Daltrey and Robert Plant in the late 60s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember hearing once the reason she and Kate Pierson ditched the beehives was because their hair was starting to fall out from all the crap they had to use to maintain that hairstyle.
    Maybe, but my guess is it is just a wig.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Greg Giuffria (Angel).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

geoff tate (queensryche) 1986-1988.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Kim Jong Un.

OP spoke of bouffant, not buffoon
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Guns Ní Roses used to have very cool hairstyles when they were younger. Just look at these guys!
    guns_n_roses_01.jpg
    I used to love their music and their style before. But I just can't imagine how hard it is to have such a hairstyle. The longest hair I had was shoulder-length and it was really difficult to make it look as I want, especially in the morning, It's a total mess. Of course, one can use hot brush (like those described on mystraightener) but It will take a lot of time. I think I'm just not ready for long hairstyles

I don't know how bouffant is defined, but if we include quiffs then the Leningrad Cowboys win that one hands down

Cindy Wilson
    B52s

cindywilson.jpg
    The B-52's were my first thought too. I read somewhere that they had to drop the beehives because it was causing their hair to fall out.

Anyone remember A Flock Of Seagulls? When I was 10 years old, I wanted Mike Score's hair do. I didn't actually know anything about hair styling at the time, so I didn't know that was mostly just hair gel, and something I probably could have done myself, had I been willing to spend all my allowance money on hair care product. Come to think of it, I think that was before i was getting an allowance, as I had beg money off my parents when I wanted to buy records at Wax Stax (my dad's stock answer being, "Can't you just record it off the radio?"...yeah, I'm gonna record an entire LP off the radio).

Anyway, I'm glad I never actually had that hairdo, because:

A. There's no pictures of me looking like this

A-10390-1293634465.jpeg.jpg

and

B. Have you seen any recent pictures of Mike Score? And by recent, I mean, like in the last 25 years. He not only doesn't have that hairdo anymore, he doesn't have any hairdo. He's more or less bald. One wonders if that's a choice on his part, or if he too experienced follicle failure.

And no musician hair discussion is complete without discussing Neal Schon's late 70's afro:

JSP0118-23-FP.jpg

Edit: Gottverdammter! Did I really just post the exact same thing about the B-52's that I did two and a half years ago?! I really need to start reading these things more carefully before posting.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:35 PM.

re: B-52's

Maybe, but my guess is it is just a wig.
    Could be. I always had the understanding in the early days, they had real beehive dos, though. But the wig theory does make sense. Not only would it be easier to deal with, but also, you walk off stage, take the wig off and you become almost unrecognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Could be. I always had the understanding in the early days, they had real beehive dos, though. But the wig theory does make sense. Not only would it be easier to deal with, but also, you walk off stage, take the wig off and you become almost unrecognizable.
    They even wrote a song about it:

Also: I can’t imagine any human being actually having their hair like Cindy Wilson did in the “Song for a Future Generation” video. Can hair even do that?

Not music-related, but it reminds me of the story of Mollie Sugden having her own hair dyed and styled for the pilot episode of Are You Being Served?...only to learn that the episode went out in black-and-white. She used wigs for the balance of the series. (Also, in an “Aluminum Christmas Trees” moment, I learned that it was the actual fashion for women in England of the 40s and 50s to dye their hair garish colors not found in nature, thanks to this guy.)