Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Enid's RJG to retire from touring & takes a 'swipe' at Steve Wilson!

The Enid's RJG to retire from touring & takes a 'swipe' at Steve Wilson!

The Enid mainman Robert John Godfrey will retire from live commitments next month - and takes a parting shot at the prog scene
    He’ll appear with the band for the final time onstage at London’s Cadogan Hall on April 2 – the last date on their road trip in support of latest album Dust, which is out on April 1.

Godfrey, who was diagnosed with the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease in 2014, has decided to step back from playing live – although he’ll still be involved in the group’s studio work.

He tells Prog: “The time has come for me to cross the footlights and devote myself into building our wonderful fan club, The Enidi, into a force to be reckoned with. I still have a few things up my sleeve before the sun sets upon my life’s work.”

The Enid’s live musician Zachary Bullock will take over keyboard duties on a permanent basis after April, while Nic Willes will return on bass and percussion. Frontman Joe Payne will also play additional keyboards where needed.

Godfrey has also take aim at the prog genre, saying it’s full of “musos” who “offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful.”

He tells Raw Ramp: “The thing that pisses me off so much about the prog scene is that it is all about muso rock. It’s all about people like Steven Wilson who possess all the talent and all the production genius – and has made a great name for himself – but who offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful.

“Musos were always a problem – but it wasn’t a big problem because they were always overshadowed by the truly creative, truly progressive bands of their day. Bands like Yes, Genesis and Procol Harum or the R’n’B side which started with Jack Bruce and Cream. And there was the pop side, with Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson and the Beatles.”

Godfrey says the diversity of artists "changed the whole perspective of its time" and adds: "The early 70s blossomed in terms of film, in terms of fashion and progressiveness was a movement.

“Now prog is just bog. Most of it is now meaningless, shallow nonsense. It is either a poor parody of things gone past or is a cynical attempt to try and

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Godfrey has also take aim at the prog genre, saying it’s full of “musos” who “offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful.”

He tells Raw Ramp: “The thing that pisses me off so much about the prog scene is that it is all about muso rock. It’s all about people like Steven Wilson who possess all the talent and all the production genius – and has made a great name for himself – but who offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful.

Thanks for that Rufus, my views exactly regarding SW.

Did he say anything about getting off of his lawn?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

And who is he and what has he done that's "memorable or meaningful"??
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Really? That's comical that is!
    You have just disqualified yourself from any further discussion on the subject if you don't know who RJG is....
    Last edited by PeterG; 03-07-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Steven Wilson has offered memorable and meaningful stuff! I will tell you as soon as I remember it...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Steven Wilson has offered memorable and meaningful stuff! I will tell you as soon as I remember it...
    Didn't he remix an album by one of your fav bands

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thanks for that Rufus, my views exactly regarding SW.
    Sounds bitter and jealous to me. Maybe Steven declined to remix an Enid record

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm not sure The Enid have done anything any more meaningful or memorable than SW in the last couple of decades. They've done some good albums but it's a stretch to credit them with much more than that. He sounds like an old curmudgeon.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Didn't he remix an album by one of your fav bands
    oh, right! he is Mikhael Akerfeldt's stalker!

As much as I admire these forums and the bands that continue to make music, I admit it seems like it's just for their experience of creating the music itself and not for an objective higher purpose. I think it's natural to want to support the music of your peers. That could just be a generational gap thing and I'm glad to have had the background to be able to appreciate classical. I feel that a lot of proggers need to graduate from high school even in their 40s and beyond. "The humble improve" someone once said. I'm glad I'm finally deconstructing the "rock and roll" mindset in myself and moving into more serious music. I can enjoy pop music all I want, but to keep tracking the rock and roll sacred cow for some pearls of wisdom or art is misleading.
    Last edited by regenerativemusic; 03-07-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Really? That's comical that is!
    You have just disqualified yourself from any further discussion on the subject if you don't know who RJG is....
    You couldn't answer the question. Speaks volumes.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I've always admired RJG as a keyboard player who can use synths in a tastefully orchestral way, and there's nobody in Prog better at pastiche Mahler/Ravel/Rachmaninov/Vaughan Williams than him.
    But he's got previous form of being a bit of a dickhead over the years about anyone else daring to make music in 'his' genre. My advice is to take no notice of what the grumpy egotist says, and instead just enjoy the fantastic music he does make (and remember that his strong opinions haven't redeemed him from making some pretty poor music at other times - The Enid in the 80s and early 90s were more miss than hit). Luckily, I don't need RJG to validate my opinions or tastes.

Just to rein it back in a bit, it's a real shame he has to retire from live performance because of Alzheimer's - a truly awful disease and one with no mercy for reputations, intelligence, talent, etc. I'd hoped to see them on their last tour before he retires, but alas they only date the played in a city near me was the same night I was rehearsing across town for my own gig.

Also, there's no crime in not knowing who Robert John Godfrey is, but if you've never heard The Enid's finest work - In the Region of the Summer Stars, Aerie Faerie Nonsense, Six Pieces, and the most recent couple of albums including Invicta - then you haven't heard some of the most masterfully crafted symphonic keyboard playing that's ever been created in the history of the genre.

You couldn't answer the question. Speaks volumes.
    Of course I can answer the question, but why should I?. YOU are the one entering this discussion mouthing off, so the smart thing to do before running your mouth would have been to find out who we are discussing i.e. who RJG is.

What speaks volumes is that you didn't do that, and then you slag off RJG without even knowing who he is. That's what's comical. I assume you will be voting for Drumpf!

He hath raised his voice against one of the Sacred Ones...Burn the witch!

The Enid are wrapping up a tour on April 2nd, which is in support of an album released on April 1st?

They shoot themselves in the foot more than Hawkwind.

Of course I can answer the question, but why should I?. YOU are the one entering this discussion mouthing off, so the smart thing to do before running your mouth would have been to find out who we are discussing i.e. who RJG is.

What speaks volumes is that you didn't do that, and then you slag off RJG without even knowing who he is. That's what's comical. I assume you will be voting for Drumpf!
    At least we agree he hasn't done anything memorable and/or meaningful.

not knowing who RJG is means you are a Trump voter? Political much?

he is the Bringer of Enid and the God of All Symphonic Prog!

I have a 50 foot tall altar in my backyard to His Eminence...

Trump.jpg

I have a 50 foot tall altar in my backyard to His Eminence...
    At that height, the only ones using it are the pigeons.

Is there a thread this blowhard clown can't piss all over and ruin with his buffoonery? And I'm not talking about Trump.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Enid's music is woven into my psyche now. To call it memorable is a vast understatement. I'm infused with it. I've laughed and cried with it. I find immense meaning in Fand, Winter, Earthborn, The One and the Many, Jessica, Sanctus and many other tracks. I can see how some things about them might seem a little kitschy to others. I can't speak for the memory or sense of meaning of others, only for myself.

RJG is the quintessential curmudgeon and always has been. So was Beethoven. So was Picasso. So what? I've tried diligently to find the deep meaning others find in Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree music and I've failed time and again. But I take it on faith that it's there because I've heard so many people express their passion about it. Just not for me.

Politically, spiritually and even in my personal musical taste I don't have a ton in common with RJG. But somehow when he's involved in creating music, it speaks right to an important part of me. His artistry and mastery as a pianist, keyboardist and arranger are awe-inspiring. There are many keyboardists I admire - Wakeman, Minnear, Emerson, Jukka Gustavson. But RJG rises to another level. So thankful to have lived in the universe at the same time as Godfrey. He deserved to take a much larger role in the world of popular music, but he certainly made his contribution. I wish him a blissful retirement.

No, the comical comment was the connection to Drumpf

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It is certainly sad that he's having to retire.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.