Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much music has Eddie Jobson done?

A rather obscure one from his discography:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Isn't Eddie also in the "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" video (sort of like Andy Ward in the "Garden Party" video)?

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Isn't Eddie also in the "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" video (sort of like Andy Ward in the "Garden Party" video)?
    Yes; they've largely edited him out, but you can see him here and there, and you can see how the video's narrative was built around a 5-piece band rather than the quartet it tries to show us.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

It amuses me that Eddie played on "Love is the Drug".

I can only think of one other music personality that could also write good music that spent a lot of time consistently as a background/session musician, and that was Larry Fast.
    There may be others. Sometimes they don't seem to keep their own music going. I don't think the brain/emotions are that flexible. Composers should protect their gifts. It more
    often than not takes some major sacrifices.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I can only think of one other music personality that could also write good music that spent a lot of time consistently as a background/session musician, and that was Larry Fast.
    There may be others. Sometimes they don't seem to keep their own music going. I don't think the brain/emotions are that flexible. Composers should protect their gifts. It more
    I am a fan of EJ but I think his career in large part is more about what he could have done rather than what he has done. It seems a shame that he has produced (or at least, released) so little in the last 30 years. In my opinion, It is ultimately a case of unfulfilled potential. What he has released has been good in my opinion, so that makes the general lack of product all the more disappointing. To see him relying so much on a short lived band of almost 40 years ago is a bit sad.

I don't think it so much as sad as just a fact of life....He had to support himself those years when he was writing for TV......Jobson can still write if he wants. The piano improvisations he composed shows some good themes.....of course, he might have taken a long time to come up with these themes....I believe in a spiritual source of inspiration that's endless, and if he's not in touch with that, well, then maybe his career is sad because its limited in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I am a fan of EJ but I think his career in large part is more about what he could have done rather than what he has done. It seems a shame that he has produced (or at least, released) so little in the last 30 years. In my opinion, It is ultimately a case of unfulfilled potential. What he has released has been good in my opinion, so that makes the general lack of product all the more disappointing. To see him relying so much on a short lived band of almost 40 years ago is a bit sad.
    I can be critical of Jobson... and indeed have been... but to do a 180 and now defend him... His career up to the mid-1980s does not seem unfulfilled: he plays on lots of albums, develops his own voice and graduates to co-band leader and delivers some great material with UK, and then a good solo album in The Green Album.

He then switches course to soundtrack work. OK, that's bad for us prog fans, but was it bad for Jobson? That stuff certainly pays a helluva lot better. Was it as creative or fulfilling? I don't know, you'd have to ask Jobson that.

He then comes back to prog. I think the UKZ EP is great. It's not long, but it's got more great songs on it that numerous recent albums from other '70s prog stars! ;-) If since then he's been milking UK nostalgia... well, which of his contemporaries doesn't base their work around playing the old songs live? That's what Yes and King Crimson do, for instance. I mean, yeah, I'd like him to get back to making new stuff a.s.a.p., but I have some sympathy for why he's doing what he's doing. It's prog fans who drive the market for nostalgia, not the musicians.

Henry

At least Brian gave Jobson more to play than Manzanera in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    Patrick Moraz and Jurgen Fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I can be critical of Jobson... and indeed have been... but to do a 180 and now defend him... His career up to the mid-1980s does not seem unfulfilled: he plays on lots of albums, develops his own voice and graduates to co-band leader and delivers some great material with UK, and then a good solo album in The Green Album.

He then switches course to soundtrack work. OK, that's bad for us prog fans, but was it bad for Jobson? That stuff certainly pays a helluva lot better. Was it as creative or fulfilling? I don't know, you'd have to ask Jobson that.

He then comes back to prog. I think the UKZ EP is great. It's not long, but it's got more great songs on it that numerous recent albums from other '70s prog stars! ;-) If since then he's been milking UK nostalgia... well, which of his contemporaries doesn't base their work around playing the old songs live? That's what Yes and King Crimson do, for instance. I mean, yeah, I'd like him to get back to making new stuff a.s.a.p., but I have some sympathy for why he's doing what he's doing. It's prog fans who drive the market for nostalgia, not the musicians.

Henry
    I agree Henry and also don't disagree about the want of fans vs say, the career logic of Eddie focusing on soundtracks and commercials for many years. My comments certainly have a selfish fan slant to them. I was also basing my feedback on the overall lack of new EJ material in either band or solo form since the 80's. I liked the UKZ EP as well and was hopeful that it would lead to more new material. That said, I also went to the sadly under-attended UKZ launch concert in NYC. I guess after that, I wasn't shocked to see EJ focus more on UK from that point. I was a member of the Zealot's Lounge for quite some time, but mainly stopped due to the overall lack of anything interesting being presented. I am sure that EJ has a lot of unreleased material to share. It is his choice on whether he wants to or not, but the lounge was another missed opportunity to me just because I was a member for 2-3 years and I can count on one hand the number of new to me music that came out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Jurgen Fritz.
    I would still like to hear that unreleased Triumvirate album from several years ago. One of the more highly promoted albums that never saw a release.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I was a member of the Zealot's Lounge for quite some time, but mainly stopped due to the overall lack of anything interesting being presented. I am sure that EJ has a lot of unreleased material to share. It is his choice on whether he wants to or not, but the lounge was another missed opportunity to me just because I was a member for 2-3 years and I can count on one hand the number of new to me music that came out of that.
    The Lounge, I concur, has never lived up to much.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The Lounge, I concur, has never lived up to much.

Henry
    I think the most substantial thing that came out of my membership to the Lounge was the poor sounding UKZ album that he released. Oh, I also think I got a discount on the live DVD.