Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guitar-less Prog Bands / Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    ELP had many great guest guitarists too. They were even negotiating to have Jimi Hendrix join the band, before he died.
    They were going to call the band HELP.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

Guest guitarists? Not on the albums surely? The Hendrix thing is a bit of an urban myth I think.
    Their inflated Egos would never allow such thing I was only referring to their live performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Nah, intense negotiations took place right after he was gone.
    That's what I read in Book - Legends of Rock Guitar: The Essential Reference of Rock's Greatest Guitarists and it's often mentioned in articles relating to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They were going to call the band HELP.
    And I quote Carl Palmer: "It's funny: Emerson, Lake & Palmer always wanted a lead guitar player, but we could never find one."

This very funny, a satirical take on ELP. I think some members here will find the humour in this too:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/E...ake_%26_Palmer

That's what I read in Book
    That negotiations were taking place after Hendrix was gone? Book of the dead, then?

I know about the ELP/Hendrix project, Sonia. He had already offered to join Soft Machine in '68, IIRC - although this was rumoured to be little more than just a drunken idea proposed during a party somewhere in L.A.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That negotiations were taking place after Hendrix was gone? Book of the dead, then?

I know about the ELP/Hendrix project, Sonia. He had already offered to join Soft Machine in '68, IIRC - although this was rumoured to be little more than just a drunken idea proposed during a party somewhere in L.A.
    hahahaha.. Scrotum Scissor, you know what I meant

Greg Lake confirms that Jimi Hendrix was considered for a spot in the earliest incarnation of Emerson Lake and Palmer — and that he was utterly aware of how that might have changed things when it came to the group’s name.

After all, had the fiery guitarist joined, their alphabetic moniker would have changed to HELP.

“It didn’t escape the notice of the press at the time,” Lake tells BackstageAxxess.
    http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013...member-of-elp/

hahahaha.. Scrotum Scissor, you know what I meant

Greg Lake confirms that Jimi Hendrix was considered for a spot in the earliest incarnation of Emerson Lake and Palmer — and that he was utterly aware of how that might have changed things when it came to the group’s name.

After all, had the fiery guitarist joined, their alphabetic moniker would have changed to HELP.

“It didn’t escape the notice of the press at the time,” Lake tells BackstageAxxess.
    http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013...member-of-elp/
    Or maybe ELPH, as in Keebler ELPH.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Nah, it was never going to be HELP--at that time Palmer wasn't yet involved. It was Emerson and Lake looking at getting together with Hendrix and Mitch Mitchell, so if anything it would have been HELM.

I feel strange, numb right now, been listening and discussing ELP.
    My comments in this thread were about how different they were, pompous yes but with good reason, also I believe that the reason, they never managed to get a guitarist is that they never found one who plays to their tunes or makes them sound even better, lifting them up, given that most guitarists play lead breaks alone and do not consider the instrumentals infront of them. xxx

Well, Greg Lake played guitar with them - mostly acoustic, but he also did some tastefully restrained electric playing as well. It's not something one notices right away in ELP music because the keyboards tended to loom so large!

Sonia, you are not alone in your numbness. Many of us are still experiencing a feeling of shock and disbelief at Keith Emerson's tragic passing. I'm going to be listening to them for the next week or so... guitar or no.

Banned

Personnel:

John Medeski - organ, piano
    Billy Martin - drums, percussions
    Chriss Wood - bass

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    MMW are awesome!

Banned
    Serbian trio Ola Horhe Vespa 2012

Die Weltschmerz 2011

Live at Exit Festival, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2012

Personnel:

Andy Pavlov - Polymoog, Yamaha SC-15, Juno 60
    Sonja Lončar - Korg MS-20, Pianet T Hohner, piano
    Nemanja Ačimović - Pearl Reference drums, Zildjian cymbals

Mats Morgan

My choices have already been mentioned, but how about Om? They're considered more in the stoner category but using just bass and drums (and more recently, tambura), and doing long songs with religious/mystical chants and lyrics that would make Jon Anderson envious, they definitely have a prog angle...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    My choices have already been mentioned, but how about Om? They're considered more in the stoner category but using just bass and drums (and more recently, tambura), and doing long songs with religious/mystical chants and lyrics that would make Jon Anderson envious, they definitely have a prog angle...
    Has anyone mentioned Ruins yet?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...