Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Music: Which rock or popular artists really got to it first?

Beatles is a good one, but it happened years before.

Like Yma Sumac

For me it has to be the Incredible String Band.

They travelled the world like kleptomaniac magpies. It's all in there - from Wales to West Africa, from Barcelona to Bolivia. No fuss, entirely organic, not always enjoyable but always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Like Yma Sumac
    She was a little on the kitschy “exotica” side, on account of Les Baxter’s cheesy “Disney travelogue” orchestrations, but she could rise to the occasion when allowed more stripped-down arrangements, letting her Peruvian-ness shine through:

I think the whole “world music” thing really started with the Nonesuch Explorer Series, which I think were the first real serious field recordings of ethnic folk songs performed by indigenous performers. The stuff from the so-called Third World was especially revelatory. Folks listened to these albums and decided they wanted to incorporate these ideas into their own music.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Besame Mucho was written 22 years before the Beatles did it. They weren't the first to record it.

Don't think I've ever heard Besa Me Mucho ny the Fabs in entirety. Not sure I want to.......

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yepp! And as such doesn't really exist! It is just a lazy term and a sloopy way of grouping together the very varied folk music styles of loads of countries.
    Oh, great. Now I have a Hang on Sloopy earworm thanks to your typo. I think you did it on purpose!

Some say she was really an american housewife named Amy Camus... Spelled backwards. Cant remember exactly where I heard that.

Yma Sumac.
    Still alive and well...

I always thought it was Hang On Stupid, Stupid Hang On........lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Some say she was really an american housewife named Amy Camus... Spelled backwards. Cant remember exactly where I heard that.
    Snopes says no.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And here am I perpetuating the myth... Lol. All hail snopes!!!
    Still alive and well...

Suspended
    ^^ Whoever snopes is.

I'd rather discuss the music than argue semantics. "World music" may be a poor term and a politically incorrect term, but it's widely used and i think we all knew what the OP meant.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Besame Mucho was written 22 years before the Beatles did it. They weren't the first to record it.
    I know, but no one was playing rock music in 1941! Don't forget what the thread title says.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Oh, great. Now I have a Hang on Sloopy earworm thanks to your typo. I think you did it on purpose!
    Mwhoohooohahaha

Cha Cha Boom......

Just played that Beatles video of Besame Mucho. First time I've ever heard the whole song from beginning to end. I was familiar with the snippets on the Anthology (the documentary not the albums). Paul almost sounds like Elvis on that song. Well, it was interesting but I don't think I ever need to hear it again.

The version of 'The Sheik Of Araby' is just as silly. There's a sense of trying too hard to cover all bases with that Decca audition, and for all the conspiracy theories, it's recorded evidence that Pete Best is not anywhere near as strong as the man who replaced him.

Not to turn this into a Beatles thread but they did a few silly, novelty numbers back then. Remember the German versions of She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand? Then there's My Bonny with Tony Sheridan. Hilarious.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not to turn this into a Beatles thread but they did a few silly, novelty numbers back then. Remember the German versions of She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand? Then there's My Bonny with Tony Sheridan. Hilarious.
    I think Germans might take offence at the suggestion that recording a couple of their hits in German versions was done for novelty value. There are people who speak German and don't speak English, and I'm sure they appreciated hearing those songs in their own language.

The Beatles spent quite sone time in Germany, and probably picked up more than a smattering of the language. If anything, it's surprising that they didn't record more German language versions of their songs.

Exactly, John, George and Paul all spoke German, I don't know about Ringo. Live footage from the 60s proves this.

Sorry, even Beatles songs sung in Spanish sound silly.

Suspended
    Sorry, even Beatles songs sung in Spanish sound silly.
    I would use the word "odd" rather than "silly".

Songs written with English lyrics can be difficult to translate well into Spanish, and vice versa. In Spanish, and to a lesser extent in other Latin languages such as Portuguese and Italian, the accent normally falls on the second last syllable of the word. Hence when the words are sung, the last syllable becomes a kind of grace note, leading to that characteristic rhythm that people refer to as the "Latin" sound.

If, like many west African musicians including Ali Farka Toure, you believe the blues originated in Africa before being brought across the Atlantic on the slave ships then the pioneers of world music would be the first American bluesmen and the original rock ‘n rollers who drew on their music, such as Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis etc.

And all Caribbean rhythms are of African origin as well. The Dark Continent is the cradle.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I would use the word "odd" rather than "silly".

Songs written with English lyrics can be difficult to translate well into Spanish, and vice versa. In Spanish, and to a lesser extent in other Latin languages such as Portuguese and Italian, the accent normally falls on the second last syllable of the word. Hence when the words are sung, the last syllable becomes a kind of grace note, leading to that characteristic rhythm that people refer to as the "Latin" sound.
    "Odd" sounds polite. It just sounds silly. Ever heard Mambo sung in English? It's just silly......lol

Suspended
    "Odd" sounds polite. It just sounds silly. Ever heard Mambo sung in English? It's just silly......lol
    "odd" is not being polite, it's just being non-judgmental.

It's politically correct. Fuck it, I'm voting the Trumpster........lol