Thread: What if...Freddie Mercury had been the vocalist for Be bop Deluxe?

What if...Freddie Mercury had been the vocalist for Be bop Deluxe?

There is something similar in the melodic style of these two bands. May and Nelson both play beautiful melodic electric guitar lines. Overall, however, I like the Be bop Deluxe repertoire a lot better and as I was listening to them today this thought spang to mind. Bill is a perfunctory vocalist and it's amazing that he sings and plays at the same time, but I could imagine that if they had had a killer vocalist like Mercury they would have been a lot more popular than they were.

Banned
    What if he was the vocalist for current pop sensation fun. ?

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I could imagine that if they had had a killer vocalist like Mercury they would have been a lot more popular than they were.
    I think this could be applied to countless bands. Particularly those that fall under the 'prog' umbrella.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 01-12-2013 at 05:13 AM.

As always it comes down to personal taste and it seems no instrument is as divisive as the vocals. I've never had a problem with Bill Nelson's singing. Indeed, I always give far more leeway to writers singing their own tunes than actual 'singers' performing someone else's.

Frank Zappa said himself he'd never pass the audition for his own band as a singer. Somehow...unless wildly out of tune or totally uncharismatic, a writer singing their own stuff seems right most of the time. Obviously, as with everything, there are exceptions.

There's a bit on the new Cosa Brava album where a male singer (Shahzad Ismaily?) sings a tune. The melody and words are obviously Fred Frith and, while possessing a far more traditionally 'pleasant' voice, I kinda wish it was Fred and his funny whateverthefuckitis voice.

You know....that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 01-12-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    As always it comes down to personal taste and it seems no instrument is as divisive as the vocals. I've never had a problem with Bill Nelson's singing. Indeed, I always give far more leeway to writers singing their own tunes than actual 'singers' performing someone else's.
    It took me a while to get used to his singing, but I'm fine with it now and wouldn't have it any other way. I just thought it would be interesting to imagine what if...

Nelson's vocals fit perfectly imo. And he's still got it today! The only thing I'd change about BBD is perhaps fleshing the live band out a bit. So many recordings sound...empty-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by bmooncd View Post
    Nelson's vocals fit perfectly imo.
    Yeah, it's what I'm used to hearing and can't imagine BBD another way. It hurts my head to try to imagine Freddie singing those lines insted of Bill!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Yeah, it's what I'm used to hearing and can't imagine BBD another way. It hurts my head to try to imagine Freddie singing those lines insted of Bill!
    correct, I mean..why would anyone want to?

What if Freddy Mercury had been the singer for New Edition? That could have worked!

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    What if he was the vocalist for current pop sensation fun. ?
    I'm glad to see some bands embracing theatrics and swagger again. For so long, it seemed like pop and alternative required a detached hipster cool in order to be fashionable. The popularity of My Chemical Romance, Muse, and The Darkness seemed to break that trend, and I'm looking forward to seeing younger bands like Fun find success with a bigger arena-type sound.

freddie would have been enormous in bb deluxe. bill nelosn could have just concentrated on writing and playing with a top notch singer on board.