Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kansas album announcement (Done!)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar

New Kansas album announcement (Done!)

Just got this email...

Recording Complete!
    "The Prelude Implicit"
    Out Later This Year!

KANSAS returned to the studio in January and February to record the band's first new studio album since 2000. With the recording wrapped up in February, The Prelude Implicit is scheduled for release in September 2016 on InsideOut Music label. Stay tuned for more information.
    Chad

Awesome. That didn't take them very long.

Interested to see what, if any, role Kerry Livgren played in this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Auto buy for me. I am hoping for good things.

This is an auto-buy for me as well. I hope they piled on the proggier elements of their overall sound and didn't try to get all 2016 on us. There's something to be said for sticking with what made you in the first place. An update isn't always what's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Cool. Now maybe Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues will release new albums too.
    Not asking for much are we? Let's just say I'm more curious about this than anything else.

Great news.

Also on the (former) Kansas front:

Steve Walsh is touring Europe as one of the vocalists with this year's edition of "Rock Meets Classic" (http://www.rockmeetsclassic.de/en/home.html)

And Robby Steinhardt is touring Australia with former Journey singer Steve Augeri (http://www.janstephensonevents.com/)

Here's Steve Walsh on that tour this year-

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Whoa. Steve Walsh performing with Asia Featuring John Payne.

We live in strange times.

Well how come some bands have the energy to tour a lot but not go back in the studio? If Kansas can do it so can the others.
    Where is it stated that it is a lack of energy keeping other bands away from the studio? Some may have run out of their creativity or they simply have no interest to record & release new material?

Well how come some bands have the energy to tour a lot but not go back in the studio? If Kansas can do it so can the others.
    Bands really don't make any money from new studio albums. It's all from touring. I'm sure Kansas is just doing it because they want to.

Not quite - that there is Steve Walsh guesting with Asia featuring John Payne. The Rock Meets Classic tour only does Europe each year and has a full orchestra involved.

Banned
    Great news indeed! Especially because their latest Somewhere To Elsewhere (2000) is an amazing symphonic rock album in their own, well-know style.

Great news, will be getting this for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    Whoa. Steve Walsh performing with Asia Featuring John Payne.

We live in strange times.
    No doubt fer sure! Jeeze, who da thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Not quite - that there is Steve Walsh guesting with Asia featuring John Payne. The Rock Meets Classic tour only does Europe each year and has a full orchestra involved.
    Ah. My confusion then. Last summer Walsh and Payne played as part of a similar rock legends bill, I just figured it was more of that. But to guest with Asia. That must have been a surprise.... How did you all think he sounds?

" The Prelude Implicit" sounds very much like a Livgren title, I'd put money on it!

This is good news, hopefully. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though and try it out.

I hear that the whole album was written by the current band (no Livgren input).

A friend of mine that works at a local studio told me this today though- "I got to listen to a couple raw tracks from it last week. Sounds awesome! Kinda heavy in sections, but still Kansas."

"And yes it's recorded but still in post. Not quite "done" yet "

Heavy Kansas is good.

John Boegehold
    I hear that the whole album was written by the current band (no Livgren input).
    I've heard the same thing from a couple of pretty reliable sources. No material from outside the six guys in the band. VERY curious to hear what they've come up with.

Very interesting. I wasn't going to post this but now I'm intrigued. I got an email from a friend with some industry contacts - who has no reason to lie - that Livgren contributed "three or four" songs for the record. Granted - the person he spoke with is family member (immediate) of someone from the Kansas camp so there is a chance that the truth lies somewhere in the middle (maybe he contributed but they weren't used?). Having said that, he knows I am a Kansas freak and it was told to him matter-of-factly. When I heard the title - Prelude Implicit - I kinda nodded and thought, "makes sense, sounds like Livgren!"

I was gonna post immediately but thought it would be perhaps stepping on the toes of the band - I imagine if Livgren was involved that would be a major part of the PR for the record and they would announce it when they wanted to.

By the way - I know I sound like a douchebag when I say "source" - it is a long time friend who has worked with some big name dudes (including a former Kansas member) so I didn't doubt his info for a moment.

I hope it was accurate - but it sounds others have heard otherwise.

Looking forward to it either way.

L.

with an album written by someone other then Livgren and Walsh, let's hope it falls within the parameters of Kansas' trademark sound and production. the engineering and post production is really gonna make or break this album.

A friend of mine that works at a local studio told me this today though- "I got to listen to a couple raw tracks from it last week. Sounds awesome! Kinda heavy in sections, but still Kansas."
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Hand View Post
    Very interesting. I wasn't going to post this but now I'm intrigued. I got an email from a friend with some industry contacts - who has no reason to lie - that Livgren contributed "three or four" songs for the record. Granted - the person he spoke with is family member (immediate) of someone from the Kansas camp so there is a chance that the truth lies somewhere in the middle (maybe he contributed but they weren't used?). Having said that, he knows I am a Kansas freak and it was told to him matter-of-factly. When I heard the title - Prelude Implicit - I kinda nodded and thought, "makes sense, sounds like Livgren!"

And yet no one has had the decency to leak a copy to PE for our approval.

K

David Ragsdale can write proggy stuff as evidenced by his solo album 'David & Goliath," which features former Steve Morse Band bassist Jerry Peek. IMHO, the key will be the new singer and the other keyboard player, as Williams, Ehart and Greer either haven't written much in the past or wrote songs that were a bit more mainstream a la Native Window.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_c_music View Post
    And yet no one has had the decency to leak a copy to PE for our approval.

K
    As you probably know,we don't need to hear a note before rendering an opinion on the release!