Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kansas album announcement (Done!)

I'm sure there'll be something on youtube before September. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole ablum is on yt before it's released.

If this isn't album of the year then I will support England during the next rugby world cup!

In this recent interview Ragsdale talks about an "outside source" and a "big surprise":

http://www.carouselrag.com/article/w...david-ragsdale

Guess that would have to be Livgren, though it's not what I would call a big surprise. Maybe it's Neal Morse?
    He does say all the current members contributed to the writing.

He also says the new album is "musically adventurous", and fans of the early Kansas sound will be pleased. Can you say prog?

And in this interview Rich Williams says they're already planning the next album: http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...ew.php?id=1154

He also talks about an 8 minute song that is "quintessential Kansas" that fans will think it was written by Livgren, though it wasn't.

Can't wait to hear some previews.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I thought that Steve Walsh had announced his retirement a while back, or something like that. Or did I dream it?

I thought that Steve Walsh had announced his retirement a while back, or something like that. Or did I dream it?
    I guess he meant retiring from Kansas and constant touring. Doesn't necessarily mean he's never going to perform live again. Doing a few gigs here and there is very different to being on the road for much of the year, especially as I guess he only needs to sing a few songs every evening for these types of shows.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Just got this email...

Recording Complete!
    "The Prelude Implicit"
    Out Later This Year!

KANSAS returned to the studio in January and February to record the band's first new studio album since 2000. With the recording wrapped up in February, The Prelude Implicit is scheduled for release in September 2016 on InsideOut Music label. Stay tuned for more information.
    Great news!

I think the outside person is the guitar/keys dude (can't remember his name) from 4Front who (I think) mixed some of their recent stuff. My guess is that he'll be announced as a new 7th member when the album is released and the band tours it this Fall.

I think the outside person is the guitar/keys dude (can't remember his name) from 4Front who (I think) mixed some of their recent stuff. My guess is that he'll be announced as a new 7th member when the album is released and the band tours it this Fall.
    Zak Rizvi? That could be it. I had never heard of him or 4Front before but noticed him in the photos they posted from the recording sessions where he was credited as co-producer.

Incidentally Platt mentions that there's going to be a "major addition" to the band, so you might be right: http://www.pressconnects.com/story/e...liss/82361556/

Does that qualify as a "big surprise" though? I would think most Kansas fans haven't heard of Rizvi before.

And do they really need 7 guys in the band? They already have the two keyboard setup back, and Ragsdale handles some of the rhythm guitar parts.
    I guess Rizvi could basically fill Livgren's old role in the band and Platt and Ragsdale could both focus on their main instruments.

Livgren did NOT submit any songs for the album that were accepted.

let's face it, the new record is gonna be a new animal. i wish that they wouldn't compare any of it to old Kansas. just because there's a song 8 minutes long doesn't mean it a Magnum Opus. i welcome a new record, but i wanna remain open. i don't wanna be disappointed because of the hype and comparisons that might not live up to itself.

Livgren did NOT submit any songs for the album that were accepted.
    So are you saying he did submit material but the band chose not to use it?

Bit of a shame, I would have liked to have at least a token contribution just for emotional/historical reasons. I'm one of the few people it seems who weren't too keen on Somewhere to Elsewhere but still...

let's face it, the new record is gonna be a new animal. i wish that they wouldn't compare any of it to old Kansas. just because there's a song 8 minutes long doesn't mean it a Magnum Opus.
    Yeah, with different people writing it's bound to be very different musically. I wouldn't be surprised if they consciously tried to evoke the spirit of 70s Kansas a bit at least though. Whether they would actually be able to do that is another question.
    I just want some good tunes, and if I'm honest, I'd like it to be "proggy".

Stop the presses! Stop the presses!!

I Just listened to that cut of "the coming Dawn" What a great song! But that snare... its Horrible and basically, it ruined the song for me. If Erhardt used that sound on the rest of the album, I cant buy it...Hopefully the new album will have better produced drums. For me, its alot about the production. The song was really, really nice, but every couple of seconds there is this "splat" sound, like someone is taking a dump in the control room, and it just KILLS the song for me. They obviously deliberately chose that sound... Yuck! It sounds like he was playing on a broken head or something. Wow, its just such a turn off for me. What was the band thinking? Horrible, Horrible choice. Almost any other sound would have been an improvement - like a duck call or something - anything!!!.

so much for their 2000 release (this is all Ive heard off that album, but its enough) Hopefully someone will put a set of ears on and tell Erhardt his snare sound is just really, really bad, and is ruining their music.

I cant get past this...Great song ruined by a tin-eared producer (or drummer). I will withold my judgement on the new album, but that was so patently stupid. Who on earth told them "Yeah, that snare sound is awesome!!"

Sorry, but that one thing ruined it for me. And I cannot get past it. What a shame.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Do you hear that snare sound on this tune too? If so then it was THE snare sound for that whole album, I suspect.

This is another great tune, btw.

Both of those had parts that dated back to before the first KS album worked into them.... But not the snare from back then.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I guess he meant retiring from Kansas and constant touring. Doesn't necessarily mean he's never going to perform live again. Doing a few gigs here and there is very different to being on the road for much of the year, especially as I guess he only needs to sing a few songs every evening for these types of shows.
    Walsh has done a few solo spots on some of John Payne's "Rock Legends" (or something like that) shows down in Florida. To my knowledge he has not done any full solo shows though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Stop the presses! Stop the presses!!

I Just listened to that cut of "the coming Dawn" What a great song! But that snare... its Horrible and basically, it ruined the song for me. If Erhardt used that sound on the rest of the album, I cant buy it...Hopefully the new album will have better produced drums. For me, its alot about the production. The song was really, really nice, but every couple of seconds there is this "splat" sound, like someone is taking a dump in the control room, and it just KILLS the song for me. They obviously deliberately chose that sound... Yuck! It sounds like he was playing on a broken head or something. Wow, its just such a turn off for me. What was the band thinking? Horrible, Horrible choice. Almost any other sound would have been an improvement - like a duck call or something - anything!!!.

so much for their 2000 release (this is all Ive heard off that album, but its enough) Hopefully someone will put a set of ears on and tell Erhardt his snare sound is just really, really bad, and is ruining their music.

I cant get past this...Great song ruined by a tin-eared producer (or drummer). I will withold my judgement on the new album, but that was so patently stupid. Who on earth told them "Yeah, that snare sound is awesome!!"

Sorry, but that one thing ruined it for me. And I cannot get past it. What a shame.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...
    I'd never even noticed anything wrong with the drums. Its a great album and return to form.

Robbie Steinhardt retired from Kansas years ago, but does appear for a song or two w/ Kansas every so often when they're in his neck of the woods (Florida?).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Do you hear that snare sound on this tune too? If so then it was THE snare sound for that whole album, I suspect.

This is another great tune, btw.

Both of those had parts that dated back to before the first KS album worked into them.... But not the snare from back then.
    Oof! My problem is definitely not the snare, it's Walsh's vocals. Knowing he got even worse, I'm finding it hard to believe people kept going to see them. Honestly, this is a great song but his vocals are like nails on a chalkboard to my ears. The other song posted here, when he sings in the lower register, doesn't sound bad at all. They should have tried to keep him out of the high register though, that's where it all goes south for me.

I've not heard this album before, but I remember hearing Icarus II before and didn't remember the vocals bothering me so much. Oh well, I guess it's good that they have a new singer for this next album then.
    Last edited by infandous; 04-08-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Oof! My problem is definitely not the snare, it's Walsh's vocals.
    Ah. Yeah. This was actually a marked IMPROVEMENT. Do NOT, repeat, do NOT get "Freaks of Nature" if you have problems with Steve Walsh's vocals HERE.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Ahhhh - that snare is quite a bit better. At least it doesnt sound like a bodily function with a 1980's noise gate.

Walsh's voice is still good to my ears. Its not as clean as it was in his younger years, and it sometimes sound a bit like hamburger, but he can still hit the notes, and his control is still there. Yeah, his indoor voice is still better than most singers at their best. You just swear it sounds like he is coughing up blood. Thats cool in some circles.

Does anyone know how Livgren's guitar skills are, post his medical issues? I haven't heard anything about his progress.

I guess I'm going to be alone with this but I actually prefer Freaks of Nature to Somewhere to Elsewhere. Walsh sounds pretty bad on both but I prefer the songs on Freaks (and I'm a big fan of Livgren's writing) - Black Fathom 4, Cold Grey Morning (OK this one was penned by Livgren) and Peaceful and Warm to my ears are better than anything on StE. Just have to make an effort to overlook the opening track I Can Fly which might be the worst thing they've ever done.

I guess I'm going to be alone with this but I actually prefer Freaks of Nature to Somewhere to Elsewhere. Walsh sounds pretty bad on both but I prefer the songs on Freaks (and I'm a big fan of Livgren's writing) - Black Fathom 4, Cold Grey Morning (OK this one was penned by Livgren) and Peaceful and Warm to my ears are better than anything on StE. Just have to make an effort to overlook the opening track I Can Fly which might be the worst thing they've ever done.
    Not completely alone - - except i absolutely love I Can Fly - Not sure how it could be considered the worst thing they ever did?!? Personally its one of my favs. I did one of those now much maligned Freaks vs. StE threads a few years back on the old site about this. Somewhere to Elsewhere has some strong songs to be sure (Distant Vision, Myriad, Icarus II) but the big problem is the lack of Steve Walsh on keys. Kerry plays all the keys here. The production isn't as good as Freaks and just like Freaks benefited from having a Livgren song on it. StE would have benefited by having at least one Walsh song on there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    If Walsh sounds so bad on those albums (I don't doubt you), why was his solo album from around then so highly lauded?

If Walsh sounds so bad on those albums (I don't doubt you), why was his solo album from around then so highly lauded?
    I don't know, I haven't been able to give it a proper listen because his voice sounds so bad

But somewhat more seriously, some of the praise might be at least partly due to the fact that he produced music that was so different from what people were used to hearing from him.
    Also maybe in a different context his diminished range and altered tone was less of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love his solo album “Glossolalia” which I am guessing is the one you are talking about. Yea, his voice sounds different, but I don’t think it sounds bad at all. I am also a big fan of “Somewhere To Elsewhere”. “Freaks Of Nature” not as much, but it does have it’s moments.

Just have to make an effort to overlook the opening track I Can Fly which might be the worst thing they've ever done.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Not completely alone - - except i absolutely love I Can Fly - Not sure how it could be considered the worst thing they ever did?!? Personally its one of my favs.
    Agreed. One of my faves, too. Far from "the worst thing they've ever done." Ragsdale's violin, alone, puts it above that status.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally