Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Post "Like" Button

  1. #1
    Oh No! Bass Solo! klothos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    305

    Post "Like" Button

    Did a "Search" to see if this has been discussed - didnt find anything but excuse me if I missed it:

    Many forums have a Post "Like" button that seems to cut down on threads going several more pages than it should and, therefore, alleviating the need to rehash something that was discussed in earlier pages

    Just wondering if there was something like that available for this forum.If so, Id like to throw it on the suggestions pile

  2. #2
    Member -=RTFR666=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Posts
    772
    ...or perhaps the powers-that-be should include a DISLIKE button to keep at bay the usual suspects who love to go on and on ad nauseum about what they DON'T like

    *cough*Bob*cough*Rufus*cough*PeterG*cough*
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

  3. #3
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,639
    Personally, I see no need for it. I think we get enough feedback just by seeing the number of replies a post gets. I really don't care how many people read a post and like it.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

  4. #4
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    32S 116E
    Posts
    0
    I dislike "Like" buttons. I consider them a form of dumbing down; they discourage actual conversation. I'd much rather someone says WHY they like a post. Or why they don't. In particular I like to see WHO is liking or disliking a post.

    Some threads do seem to go on longer than they should. In many cases this seems to be due to people not bothering to read the earlier posts before they make their own post, something that always seems a little rude, as though they want to voice their own opinions but can't be bothered reading others' opinions. If the thread is many pages long then it may be impractical to read every post, but the "Search thread" is useful in trying to make sure you are not just repeating what someone else has said.

  5. #5
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    32S 116E
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    ...or perhaps the powers-that-be should include a DISLIKE button to keep at bay the usual suspects who love to go on and on ad nauseum about what they DON'T like

    *cough*Bob*cough*Rufus*cough*PeterG*cough*
    ... which would suit someone like you just fine. Throw out negative feedback to whoever you fancy without having to put your name to it.

    Ever since we met on this forum you have criticised and abused me, and have ignored my requests, both in public and in private, to explain why. Just what is your problem, mate?

  6. #6
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,735
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I dislike "Like" buttons. I consider them a form of dumbing down; they discourage actual conversation. I'd much rather someone says WHY they like a post. Or why they don't. In particular I like to see WHO is liking or disliking a post.
    This.

  7. #7
    Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coastal California
    Posts
    636
    I'm all for the conversation as well.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

  8. #8
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    965
    I think it's not a bad idea at all. It might be possible to set it up so we could see who did the liking.

    I often find someone else has already expressed about 95% of my viewpoint which makes my posting the same thing seem superfluous. And I think for me to post "me too" (or equivalent) seems like a waste of everyone's attention and thread space and would cut down on unnecessary scrolling. Those who were interested could take the time find out who liked a given post.
    Let's blow this dinosaur heap.

  9. #9
    Member -=RTFR666=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ... which would suit someone like you just fine. Throw out negative feedback to whoever you fancy without having to put your name to it.

    Ever since we met on this forum you have criticised and abused me, and have ignored my requests, both in public and in private, to explain why. Just what is your problem, mate?
    My name is Rob Adams. And I've never hidden it. And aside from the proverbial pot/kettle routine you trot out regularly? Why, I'm sure you're just a peach of a guy IRL.

    ETA: Didn't you just recently write you had me on ignore?
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 02-28-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

  10. #10
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,639
    If there was a Like button, there should also be a page that shows how many Likes each member has. Then we could compete like we did on PE 2.0 to see who had the most posts. I'm pretty sure I'd be on top!
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

  11. #11
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    965
    Once you received a certain number of likes you couldn't be banned for bad behavior. It'd be like money in the bank.
    Let's blow this dinosaur heap.

  12. #12
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    32S 116E
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Once you received a certain number of likes you couldn't be banned for bad behavior. It'd be like money in the bank.
    I don't think that would be a good idea. It would lead to friends ganging up to "like" one another's posts, and possibly to the sockpuppet phenomenon.

  13. #13
    Oh No! Bass Solo! klothos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    305
    the whole idea was that you hit "Like" and the name of the person appears at the bottom of the post -- it serves as a response, especially to the poster, without taking up page space....people (myself included) have a habit of skipping over a bunch of pages to enter a conversation and the "Like" button cuts down on extra confirmation posts and aids the conversations to flow a bit better without a lot of rehashing

  14. #14
    Member paythesnuka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    the whole idea was that you hit "Like" and the name of the person appears at the bottom of the post -- it serves as a response, especially to the poster, without taking up page space....people (myself included) have a habit of skipping over a bunch of pages to enter a conversation and the "Like" button cuts down on extra confirmation posts and aids the conversations to flow a bit better without a lot of rehashing
    I think Like buttons work best in groups where there are constant replies of "This" and "+1." I don't see that happening a lot here. I think 99% of the members here want to engage in dialog, so that each post has something to add to the thread.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

  15. #15
    'aang 'hoot' Don Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Did a "Search" to see if this has been discussed - didnt find anything but excuse me if I missed it
    It's been discussed in the past, and likely several times. But imo, it's a reasonable thing to occasionally bring forward and guage opinion on.

    Personally I can see where I'd use a "like" button. Some threads I can take or leave and don't come back to. Some I'll find interesting and subscribe to. Of those in the latter category, some I'll want to chime in with an opinion or comment, if/when I have the time. Others, I may only want to follow the discussion but don't feel I have anything meaningful to say. It's in these cases that I can see the benefit of a like button to express that I've read and agree with or appreciate the sentiment of what was written.

    Having said this, I won't be lamenting the lack of a like button if it's not implemented.

  16. #16
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I don't think that would be a good idea. It would lead to friends ganging up to "like" one another's posts, and possibly to the sockpuppet phenomenon.
    I was just kidding. Bad behavior rising to a certain level should result in banning, no matter how well-liked the forum member's posts are.
    Let's blow this dinosaur heap.

  17. #17
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,639
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    the whole idea was that you hit "Like" and the name of the person appears at the bottom of the post -- it serves as a response, especially to the poster, without taking up page space....people (myself included) have a habit of skipping over a bunch of pages to enter a conversation and the "Like" button cuts down on extra confirmation posts and aids the conversations to flow a bit better without a lot of rehashing
    Wow, a "+1" button is getting more traction than my suggestion of posting links to the GEPR and Progressive Rock FAQ?
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

  18. #18
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,639
    How about a "You're an idiot!" button? That would make the threads flow better too!
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

  19. #19
    Member -=RTFR666=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How about a "You're an idiot!" button? That would make the threads flow better too!
    As long as the imogees don't overpopulate your pages when viewed, Jed

    I keed, I keed.
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 03-01-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: crappy toshiba laptop keyboard...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

  20. #20
    Oh No! Bass Solo! klothos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How about a "You're an idiot!" button? That would make the threads flow better too!
    see? a perfect post for a "Like" ........ my work here is done

  21. #21
    What about resurrecting posting limits, they kept the board more varied in the old days in my opinion.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Member -=RTFR666=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    What about resurrecting posting limits, they kept the board more varied in the old days in my opinion.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For PAYING members? HERETIC!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

  23. #23
    Ok then charge by the post, it may slow a few down from saying the same thing, thread after thread, ad infinitum.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Member -=RTFR666=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Ok then charge by the post, it may slow a few down from saying the same thing, thread after thread, ad infinitum.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure for a few of these folks, getting their whine heard above the din would be worth the price of admission to them
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

  25. #25
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,103
    they discourage actual conversation. I'd much rather someone says WHY they like a post. Or why they don't. In particular I like to see WHO is liking or disliking a post.
    Likey

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •