Page 74 of 106 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2650

Thread: The 2016 NFL Discussion Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh I'd still take Rodgers or Montana ahead of most everyone else.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Eye Test & Intangibles are just excuses to justify picking someone who doesn't have the stats.
    True in a sport like baseball. Not true in a sport like football.

Traditional statistics in football don't mean close to what they do in baseball, because so much is situational. For example, decent QBs on bad teams can have deceptively good statistics because they're always playing from behind and therefore throwing a lot more (and into defenses that will willingly give up plays to the middle of the field in the 4th quarter). Traditional statistics don't differentiate between passes made on the run, in the face of pressure, vs. blitzes, etc.

Rodgers consistently makes great throws from just about anywhere on the field, to anywhere on the field. If someone was to say that Marino and Manning did it slightly better, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but Rodgers is definitely an all-time great in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    True in a sport like baseball. Not true in a sport like football.

Traditional statistics in football don't mean close to what they do in baseball, because so much is situational. For example, decent QBs on bad teams can have deceptively good statistics because they're always playing from behind and therefore throwing a lot more (and into defenses that will willingly give up plays to the middle of the field in the 4th quarter). Traditional statistics don't differentiate between passes made on the run, in the face of pressure, vs. blitzes, etc.

Rodgers consistently makes great throws from just about anywhere on the field, to anywhere on the field. If someone was to say that Marino and Manning did it slightly better, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but Rodgers is definitely an all-time great in that regard.
    While I agree with you on a lot of football stats the ones I posted are purely postseason stats so reflect good teams playing good teams rather than bad teams chasing scores by throwing a lot. They are also over a large sample size of playoff games so balance out those discrepancies. Rodgers stats are actually the best of the ones I listed so I'm arguing that they do back up the "eye test".
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Rodgers probably throws the most accurate, best deep ball.

Think about what he could've done in the old Raiders offense from the 60s and 70s. Man.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Rodgers is simply fun to watch. I'm not interested in rating him versus contemporary or past QBs.
    When he is on, he can truly light it up!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "A-Rod" is in common usage locally when talking about Rodgers. Started with the tv sports dudes.
    It should end with the TV sports dudes.

I will never refer to Rodgers as that. It sounds… dumb, to be honest.

Speaking of Packer QBs and TV sports dudes, this is still one of my favorite sports memes

Madden-Favre.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Speaking of Packer QBs and TV sports dudes, this is still one of my favorite sports memes

Madden-Favre.jpg
    Never saw that before.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

plenty of schlub QBs have Super Bowl rings, but statistically fantastic QBs like Marino and Romo do not.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    plenty of schlub QBs have Super Bowl rings, but statistically fantastic QBs like Marino and Romo do not.
    Mentioning Romo in the same sentence and context as Marino is the same as mentioning Stafford, for example (there's others that fit), in the same sentence and context as Rodgers imo. 2 of them are very good to superb, but the other 2 are 20% of the best 10 QBs in NFL history. YMMV
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

YMMV
    Nope. You nailed it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Since this is the NFL discussion thread, and we've been flirting around this a bit, my retired, idle mind started writing down who I thought were the 10 best NFL QBs of all time.

I'm wording this very specifically: tell me who I forgot and who shouldn't be on there.

A Rodgers
    D Marino
    J Montana
    B Favre
    P Manning
    T Brady
    D Brees
    R Staubach
    J Elway
    S Young

Its a good list, but I think there's definitely room for Aikman, Tarkenton, Bradshaw and Kelly
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Starr.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think that if it hadn't been for consecutive seasons with bad teams and serious injuries, Ken Anderson would be apart of this conversation. He was mentored by one of the great offensive minded coaches and QB whisperers of all time afterall, when Bill Walsh was OC for Cincinnati in the 70s. Neil Lomax of the then St Louis Cardinals was brilliant until contracting degenerative hip disease. Joe Theismann might have played another 5 years if not for his leg getting snapped in two.

Had Denver never acquired Terrell Davis in the 90s we might still be talking John Elway when referring to all-time Superbowl chokers. Instead, it's gotta be Kelly.

Dan Fouts should be in the discussion. Before my time, but Johnny Unitas, Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham rate. Favre wouldn't make the cut for me.

I wouldn't include Favre
    Ian

Definitely Unitas
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Warren Moon deserves to be in the discussion.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Dan Fouts should be in the discussion. Before my time, but Johnny Unitas, Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham rate. Favre wouldn't make the cut for me.
    don't have time atm to fashion a list, but I agree with all this.

I'd add Steve Young from geezers list as well to that last thought.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Yep, Unitas and Tark. Too bad Namath had such bad knees or he could have had a career worthy of consideration.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I can see Bradshaw instead of Young pretty easily, and Unitas & Staubach are a toss-up imo, but (for all you stat freaks), Favre stays.

I can see Bradshaw instead of Young pretty easily, and Unitas & Staubach are a toss-up imo, but (for all you stat freaks), Favre stays.
    Amen!

I wouldn't have Bradshaw anywhere near that list, and Young definitely belongs on there. I'd put Unitas over Staubach, but that could be my anti-Cowboy bias, too. I've always thought of Unitas as an all-timer, while Staubach was "merely great." Both were before my time, however, so take all of that with a grain of salt.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Bradshaw always struck me as a 'right time right place' QB on a dominant side at a time when super teams stayed together longer, he was like Trent Dilfer or Jim McMahon but over a longer period.
    Ian