Page 73 of 106 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2650

Thread: The 2016 NFL Discussion Thread

Compared to Beckham's gay gyrating jumping in the pot was harmless fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Congrats, Yves
    Once again it was much closer than it needed to be. Carr is still ailing and it's reduced the playbook, but the D has been stepping up in the second half of games...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yesterday during the Cheese-Bears game, John Lynch (who imo is much less lame than most of the ex-jock analysts) made the comment that he thought A-Rod was the best pure passer in NFL history.

While there is no objective answer, I think I agree. Opinions?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'd definitely agree. I'm amazed at how quick and effortlessly he can throw the ball in any position...on his heels, on the run, in the pocket...it's very impressive.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yesterday during the Cheese-Bears game, John Lynch (who imo is much less lame than most of the ex-jock analysts) made the comment that he thought A-Rod was the best pure passer in NFL history.

Can't really argue against it. He's insanely-talented.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've thought for some time now that he's the QB I would choose to start a team with, if I had a choice of any QB. Quick release, rifle arm, very accurate, (accuracy on the run is unmatched, though Rapistberger is close.) Underrated athleticism, moves well in the pocket or out. He'll probably not end up with the resume to be considered the "greatest" QB of all-time, but I think he's the best.

Btw, is "A-Rod" what they call him in Cheeseland? Because everytime I read that, I think of that arrogant roid boy who recently ended his Baseball career.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Got a last minute call yesterday am from a friend who offered me two tickets to the Giants game.

I haven't been to a live game in ages, so I was thrilled to be sitting front row on the five yard line for a perfect view of:

Shepherd's TD

Erin Andrews

DRC looking awesome chasing down Tate followed by

Fumble and Vernon's end zone recovery

Eli Apple play knocking the ball away from Tate

OBJ one handed TD (and dance)

OBJ punt return TD called back (saw the flag right away but it was still awesome)

I did not know that there are two cameras stacked on top of each other on a truck along the sidelines, always thought it was just one.

What a great game for my first MetLife visit! This defense is coming together at the right time. Seems sort of familiar...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Still don't trust the Cheeseheads, Lions or G-Men, all have too many flaws to progress far. C'Boys still appear to be the team to beat in the NFC. Seahawks can beat anyone on any day and lose to anyone on any day, doubt we'll get past the Championship game. Falcons probably most dangerous team in NFC. If the AFC goes through Foxboro then the Steelers are probably the most dangerous team on that side, if it goes through Oakland then there's a better chance for a bunch of teams.

Looks pretty much a crap shoot at this stage. I'd take the field against the front runners in both conferences.

NFC West looks pretty awful right now with 3 teams already eliminated from the playoffs. No other division is that bad.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"A-Rod" is in common usage locally when talking about Rodgers. Started with the tv sports dudes.

The texting culture is insidious. It's created shit like A-Rod (obviously more than one), K-Rod (Francisco Rodriguez), CarGo (Carlos Gomez), MadBum (do I need to tell you?), and way too many more to mention.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

It's really hard to argue against Dan Marino or Peyton Manning in their respective primes, but Rodgers has consistently been the best QB in football for the last 4-5 years and is an automatic hall of famer.

Surely Montana has to be in the discussion?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've always thought that Drew Brees is often overlooked in these conversations, probably due to his size and how the Saints generally haven't been an elite team while he's been there.

I'm not saying that he's ahead of Rodgers, Brady, Marino, Manning, etc., but I think he's right below that group.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I may have put Russell Wilson in that conversation up until this last year. I would put Peyton Manning at the top of the list if I hadn't seen him choke in big games. I think Tom Brady is a very good quarterback under pressure. But have to agree Aaron Rodgers is the best all-around quarterback playing the game right now. Roethlisberger is the best quarterback while playing injured

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I may have put Russell Wilson in that conversation up until this last year. I would put Peyton Manning at the top of the list if I hadn't seen him choke in big games. I think Tom Brady is a very good quarterback under pressure. But have to agree Aaron Rodgers is the best all-around quarterback playing the game right now. Roethlisberger is the best quarterback while playing injured
    You've never seen Rodgers have a bad playoff game?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You've never seen Rodgers have a bad playoff game?
    I can't recall any really epic fails but I'm sure there's an exception to every rule.

Seems I remember Peyton Manning's a bit more but that's probably because he had such terrible body language when he had a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I can't recall any really epic fails but I'm sure there's an exception to every rule.

Seems I remember Peyton Manning's a bit more but that's probably because he had such terrible body language when he had a bad game.
    When they lost to the Seahawks two years ago he was 19/34 for 178yds, 1 TD & 2 INT's.
    Lost to Arizona last year with a 24/44 - 261 - 1TD - 2INT line
    When they beat the Bears in 2010 he had his worst line - 17/30 - 244 - 0TD - 2INT

When he has an off day he throws for around 55% and has at least 1 INT.
    Ian

QB Rating Playoffs

Rodgers - 98.2
    Brady - 88.0
    Montana - 95.6
    Manning - 87.4
    Marino - 77.1

Bart Starr tops the list at 104.8
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    QB Rating Playoffs

Rodgers - 98.2
    Brady - 88.0
    Montana - 95.6
    Manning - 87.4
    Marino - 77.1

Bart Starr tops the list at 104.8
    Drew Brees - 100.7

Just sayin'

Stats are "apples" (tangibles). Lynch's comment was "oranges" (intangibles).

The "best pure passer" does not have anything to do with stats. It has to do with mechanics, intelligence, improv skills, accuracy, mobility (on 2 legs) and overall innate ability.

Peyton Manning makes my top 10, but he's at the back half. Because so many think he's the greatest ever, I'd say he's the most overrated QB in NFL history, while recognizing that he is an all-time great. He's a great guy, well loved by all as a person, which probably helps how people view him, but isn't really germane to the discussion. People were so captivated by the "coach on the field" thing, that it tended to color their view of his overall game, imo. Great that you can identify the Mike and the Sam pre-snap, how about you don't throw the bad interception when the game's on the line? Unfortunately, he did that enough that on at least one occasion, I predicted it before it happened, while watching the game. Nonetheless, he threw for a ton of yardage with a high completion percentage, and did so for a long time. He's legitimately in the conversation, but I don't see any way he comes out on top.

Stats are "apples" (tangibles). Lynch's comment was "oranges" (intangibles).

The "best pure passer" does not have anything to do with stats. It has to do with mechanics, intelligence, improv skills, accuracy, mobility (on 2 legs) and overall innate ability.
    In other words, "The Eye Test" which Rodgers wins clearly, imo. "Greatest" and "Best" aren't the same thing, and football is a team sport, so stats don't happen in a vacuum.

Eye Test & Intangibles are just excuses to justify picking someone who doesn't have the stats. He can have all the mechanics, intelligence & improv skills in the world but if he throws 55% and 2 INT's in the play-offs he ain't great.
    Ian

Eye Test & Intangibles are just excuses to justify picking someone who doesn't have the stats. He can have all the mechanics, intelligence & improv skills in the world but if he throws 55% and 2 INT's in the play-offs he ain't great.
    You don't throw 55% and 2 INTs in the playoffs as a rule, and have a QB rating of 98.2.

Just sayin'.

I'm a big Rodgers fan, but of quarterbacks that have played since 2000 I really couldn't argue any one of the big four (Brady, Manning, Brees and Rogers) is/was better than the other three, even if you narrow the criteria to "pure passing" (however you want to define that). I just consider them all about equally great. I guess Big Ben would round out my top 5 of this era.

I think it's also hard to compare quarterbacks from different eras, since the game keeps changing. QBs (and offensive players in general) have advantages today that Montana, Marino, Starr, Unitas, etc. didn't have, so that certainly skews the stats discussion.

Well, he threw 2 picks in that game against Seattle (the first of which was on a play when Seattle clearly jumped offside, so should have been a free play), and two in the Chicago game. GB won the Chicago game, and I don't blame Rodgers for each of the many things that contributed to that awful loss in Seattle. Both games were on the road.

He did throw one pick at Arizona last year, along with two TDs (not the other way around) prior to his two incredible long passes to tie the game in the 4Q. He has 27 TDs and 8 INT in 13 playoff games, with an insanely low 1.7 int %. I don't think picks are his major issue.

All that said, I'm sorely disappointed each year GB loses in the playoffs, so he has only lived up to my expectations once.