Page 24 of 106 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 NFL Discussion Thread

I think he's a selfish, disrespectful, douche that is no doubt going to regret his actions. That said...I too defend his right to free speech.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Frankly, I think that the anthem being played before every single sporting event is a ridiculous practice that should stop, anyway. Not only does it cheapen it, it provides for such distractions as what Kaepernick and others do, insofar as how they observe it. It's just a sporting event - nobody is going off to war.
    I agree with you. Not sure in other sports but most big league sporting events that I watch (mostly NFL, NCAA, and NBA) the Anthem is cut from the broadcast. I've gotten tired of "the song" being sung by celebs and then they get ripped to shreds for not singing it right, or flubbing the high parts. To me it's tiresome. Even for the Superbowl, unless it's sung in a traditional way, or an brass section instrumental I don't bother watching it.

Regarding Colin: Again, he has a right to free speech but it just bothers me when athletes who are millionaires choose the most offensive ways to "make a point."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I agree with you. Not sure in other sports but most big league sporting events that I watch (mostly NFL, NCAA, and NBA) the Anthem is cut from the broadcast. I've gotten tired of "the song" being sung by celebs and then they get ripped to shreds for not singing it right, or flubbing the high parts. To me it's tiresome. Even for the Superbowl, unless it's sung in a traditional way, or an brass section instrumental I don't bother watching it.
    Not mention that it's peculiarly American. The western European countries don't do this. Plus, ours is a war anthem - it's like we're North Korea or something. It has a particular history in baseball (WWI and WWII patriotism shows) but those days are gone and it's probably time someone put a stop to it.

Just play ball.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I tend to agree, coming from Europe it still feels weird that it gets played at every single sporting event from Pee Wee football & T-Ball on up. You need a certain level of insecurity to play it all the time, it's like something from 1984 (the book)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What's the big deal? It's a nice tradition. Doesn't bother me at all except when it becomes an American Idol try out.

It's not a big deal, it's just laying out a point of view.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's not a big deal, it's just laying out a point of view.
    Yeah. It's not a big deal, but when you try to see it from the point of view of not having it always there (the perspective of someone not born here, for example) the question "why?" is inevitable.

From the leagues' perspectives, I'm sure they wish they could do away with it and not get any flak for it. It doesn't do anybody any good, but can occasionally make one of its players look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    What's the big deal? It's a nice tradition. Doesn't bother me at all except when it becomes an American Idol try out.
    Agree about making it an American Idol competition. It's irritating, boring, tiring, etc.

Exactly! It is a tradition! You don't have to like it, or agree with it. Just don't be disrespectful.

Oh, and I agree 100 % with the American Idol slant!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I think he's a selfish, disrespectful, douche that is no doubt going to regret his actions. That said...I too defend his right to free speech.
    Me too. And maybe I missed something, but I don't exactly see what he has done to be referred to as an "activist" and someone even compared him yesterday to Ali. Of course that's the media for ya, but that's some interesting spin.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Really couldn't care less about it, to be honest. The whole thing (predictably) has been blown out of proportion, with the ugliest on each side of the issue having their say.

Regarding his activism, he apparently has been very consistent with this message on social media for years now, FWIW.

I'm on the side that any peaceful protest, whether it be sitting during the National Anthem, burning a flag, gathering like-minded people, holding up a sign, etc. should be encouraged, and is one of the most patriotic things a private citizen can do.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wait...burning a flag should be encouraged?! Out of respect for Cozy and where this will go if I continue, I'll go no further.

I basically agree with what Scott said, and Vic too. Bit of a tempest in a teapot, really, and while I don't think it's an effective form of protest, and I don't think his evaluation of the nation is fair, I don't like the attempts to enforce groupthink. Everyone must think and feel the same thing, or at least be afraid to voice dissent. Fuck that. That ain't American.

Edit: Agree with Scott Bails.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I basically agree with what Scott said, and Vic too. Bit of a tempest in a teapot, really, and while I don't think it's an effective form of protest, and I don't think his evaluation of the nation is fair, I don't like the attempts to enforce groupthink. Everyone must think and feel the same thing, or at least be afraid to voice dissent. Fuck that. That ain't American.

Edit: Agree with Scott Bails.
    And I'll just circle back to my point, which is that the practice of playing the national anthem before sporting events is past its expiration date. I do not believe that being a professional athlete should involve such built-in, high-profile opportunities to participate in or not participate in groupthink and/or resistance on political matters. It was one thing in the media culture and popular culture of the 1940s, but everything has now changed. In addition to the country being highly polarized on many cultural and political matters, we live in an age when every game of every major sport is on television and social media affords instantaneous feedback.

The people piling on Kaepernick are ridiculous - his refusal to stand for the national anthem does not in any way impinge upon their ability to hear it played. But playing a war anthem before a sporting contest fulfills no practical purpose and, in this day and age, can only serve to create conflict between the athletes and the fans of the league - something that league management could not possibly want. Colin Kaepernick is on television to play quarterback for a football team. The live and televised event should contain as little content from the athletes as possible that is not playing football or commenting about football.

Wait...burning a flag should be encouraged?!
    It certainly shouldn't be discouraged. Or, as many on social media think, made illegal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Protected free speech.
    Ian

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Many of the people slagging him are the same people that carpet bomb Fakebook with political and religious propaganda, pulled fresh daily from their asses. I actually wished he hadn't done it, simply because I wished everyone in sports and entertainment would stick to their day jobs, but that's just me.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    And I'll just circle back to my point, which is that the practice of playing the national anthem before sporting events is past its expiration date. I do not believe that being a professional athlete should involve such built-in, high-profile opportunities to participate in or not participate in groupthink and/or resistance on political matters. It was one thing in the media culture and popular culture of the 1940s, but everything has now changed. In addition to the country being highly polarized on many cultural and political matters, we live in an age when every game of every major sport is on television and social media affords instantaneous feedback.

The people piling on Kaepernick are ridiculous - his refusal to stand for the national anthem does not in any way impinge upon their ability to hear it played.

I obviously prefer this not get too political, but sometimes these sports stories impinge on social issues that go beyond sport, so it's natural to have the discussion come up.

I will simply say that Colin can do what he wants to do, and people can react appropriately. I don't personally see why someone would give a damn that someone didn't stand during the national anthem. I'm sure we all knew someone growing up in school that didn't stand or put their heart over their chest for the Pledge of Allegiance.

I would even agree with you that it's such an antiquated tradition that it doesn't really make sense. TV stations used to play the anthem before they signed off at night. I never really understood that either. I'm not against it (I have no strong opinion), and maybe it takes a story like this one to take that kind of tangent to examining the consistency (or lack of) why/when the anthem is played.

Anyway, this is a lot more about manufacturing outrage than anything else. Social media has taken blown up the concept of outrage exponentially. The most inane topic can be turned into a controversy in which people are more than eager to weigh in with their point of view. That is what is being done here more than anything else. Next week everyone will forget about Colin (except the NFL announcers) and we will be on to the next OUTRAGE!

It's not all that different if more posters took that approach on PE, "is Steve Howe overshadowed?"...I dunno, just saying...then the dander increases.

After yesterday Scott suggested that Colin's has a history of activism. So I Googled "Colin Kaepernick activist" and some of the first entries that came to the top are prime examples of how media outlets lay out the "facts" in such a way as to intentionally divide your opinion. And that's as far as I will go out of respect for Klonker's respect for me not to get this out of hand.

absolutely manufactured and blown out of proportion by this world's insatiable media machine

let's argue over whether or not Harambe should have been shot

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    absolutely manufactured and blown out of proportion by this world's insatiable media machine
    If by "media machine" you mean the racist trolls on Twitter, then agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Many of the people slagging him are the same people that carpet bomb Fakebook with political and religious propaganda, pulled fresh daily from their asses. I actually wished he hadn't done it, simply because I wished everyone in sports and entertainment would stick to their day jobs, but that's just me.
    But if your daily average person does this nobody listens. Now a days if somebody dumped a bunch of tea in the harbor nobody would give a rats ass except the EPA.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    If by "media machine" you mean the racist trolls on Twitter, then agreed.
    "Insatiable media machine" is very appropriate. This is fed by the users (i.e. racist trolls or whatever demographic you need), which in turn feeds the machine. Major media outlets made a conscious decision to take this viral because it has several elements that can be used to create outrage and further the invisible divide. As they see a story explode or fade away, they react appropriately to keep engagement.

So... the season's only 2 weeks away!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Terry Bridgewater suffered a serious non-contact injury in practice. That is unfortunate as he seemed to be coming along quite nicely.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...kings-practice

By no means am I a Viking fan, but I do like Bridgewater. Everything ever said about him and by him speaks to his character.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.