Page 13 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You don't hear Clowney's name mentioned much.
    That's absolutely true. Not sure how it impacts on the conversation, as he's a 4-3 end being shoehorned into a 3-4.

They were talking about Krueger on the radio today, and concluded that he was the biggest victim of that awful defensive scheme run by DC Jim O'Neill last year. He's a pass rusher and had to spend a large percentage of his plays dropping into coverage. He could have a good bounce back season this year, especially, as I said, if he gets some help. To that end, I'm hoping the Browns take Noah Spence at 32 when round 2 starts tonight.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 04-29-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He's taking an analytics approach, and looking at it from the business side. I get his point, but I'm not a fan of "one size fits all" approaches, as I work for a company who swears by them.
    As we all know, you can't fairly evaluate a draft until at least three years on, so of course we can revisit this some day in the future.

I'll leave it at this: Jerry Jones was the only person in Cowboy's front office who was pushing hard to get Eliott. Jerry Jones - the guy with by far the least amount of personnel ability. That's pretty much all you need to know about the quality of this pick.

That's absolutely true. Not sure how it impacts on the conversation, as he's a 4-3 end being shoehorned into a 3-4.

They were talking about Krueger on the radio today, and concluded that he was the biggest victim of that awful defensive scheme run by DC Jim O'Neill last year. He's a pass rusher and had to spend a large percentage of his plays dropping into coverage. He could have a good bounce back season this year, especially, as I said, he gets some help. To that end, I'm hoping the Browns take Noah Spence at 32 when round 2 starts tonight.
    I was just thinking Clowney being lined up with Watt he should be a household name. I'd like to see the Ravens get Myles Jack if he is healthy. Other than him I don't know too many other names on the board.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I think Jones was in love with Bosa and when he went off the board at 3 he pulled the trigger on Elliot.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I was just thinking Clowney being lined up with Watt he should be a household name.
    Well, Krueger had a track record of success, even if it was only for one year. Clowney did not, apart from the hype coming out of college, especially after he crushed the Michigan running back. (I know. Who doesn't do that? ) It's possible that he's just not as good as everyone thought, but more likely that he's playing out of position. He's a speed & strength guy, but having him play upright in the 3-4 is working against his strength. i think he'd benefit from a change of scenery.

I'd like to see the Ravens get Myles Jack if he is healthy. Other than him I don't know too many other names on the board.
    Great player and athlete, but if the reports are right, destined for a short career.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

I'll leave it at this: Jerry Jones was the only person in Cowboy's front office who was pushing hard to get Eliott. Jerry Jones - the guy with by far the least amount of personnel ability. That's pretty much all you need to know about the quality of this pick.
    You have to wonder about the source of this info. Did Jerry say this? If not, who's the fool who's leaking to the media and undercutting his GM, who happens to be the owner. Can't imaging the Pokes want to air their dirty laundry in public, so is this even legit?

Here's an argument for Facelift's side: Ezekiel Elliott is the 7th running back drafted top 5 overall over the last 15 seasons. The previous 6 RBs combined for just one Pro Bowl
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You have to wonder about the source of this info. Did Jerry say this? If not, who's the fool who's leaking to the media and undercutting his GM, who happens to be the owner. Can't imaging the Pokes want to air their dirty laundry in public, so is this even legit?
    Without even getting into how I know what I know (which is something, by the way, that pretty much everybody connected to the NFL knows), it's been widely reported and discussed in the days prior to the draft. The fact is that Jerry Jones wanted Elliott and Jerry owns the team, so he gets to override everyone else. We can't possibly be acting like this is news - he's been doing this for years.

http://fansided.com/2016/04/23/nfl-d...eate-triplets/
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-gets-his-way
    http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e74605202.html

He's taking an analytics approach, and looking at it from the business side. I get his point, but I'm not a fan of "one size fits all" approaches, as I work for a company who swears by them.
    ok bro, if you say so...
    I think its more a case of 'have to be right and have the last word on it'
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Without even getting into how I know what I know (which is something, by the way, that pretty much everybody connected to the NFL knows), it's been widely reported and discussed in the days prior to the draft. The fact is that Jerry Jones wanted Elliott and Jerry owns the team, so he gets to override everyone else. We can't possibly be acting like this is news - he's been doing this for years.

http://fansided.com/2016/04/23/nfl-d...eate-triplets/
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-gets-his-way
    http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e74605202.html
    That Jerry is the de facto GM of the Cowboys is not news, you're right. That Jerry is the one making the pick is not news, you're right. However, I watched/read all 3 links you posted, and not a single one of them contained a scintilla of evidence that the other members of the scouting/personnel team wanted someone else. That's what I'm calling into question, not Jerry's running the show. And I'm pointing out that leaking such information to the media has no productive purpose, and could be hazardous to the employment status of the leaker. So call me a skeptic that the leak actually took place. If solid evidence is presented, I'll accept it as fact. Until then, it's speculation at best, fabrication at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Here's an argument for Facelift's side: Ezekiel Elliott is the 7th running back drafted top 5 overall over the last 15 seasons. The previous 6 RBs combined for just one Pro Bowl
    Like with most locales in the USA, they air the local team's games every week here. That means I've been able to watch all of Elliott's games for the past 2 years. I'm pretty confident he'll be quite successful, barring injury.

Ba ha haaaaa.........

I saved it.

So the Ravens traded away Myles Jack.

Riverboat Jerry rolled the dice again. According to rumors, the Browns took the player Jerry wanted, Emmanuel Ogbah, a DE from Ok St., so Jerry reached for Jaylon Smith.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Jarran Reed DT Alabama to the Seahawks, happy with that pick
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hey Ed, I have a question for you.....

Pittsburgh passed on Vonn Bell in the second round and took Sean Davis from Maryland instead. What do you know about this kid?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I am pleased that the Steelers addressed their areas of need . I question as to whether they chose the right players in some of these picks.
    I guess time will tell.

The Eagles selected a guy who was arrested for witness intimidation and another guy who was arrested for domestic abuse.

You can tell that Andy Reid and Chip Kelly are gone.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I am pleased that the Steelers addressed their areas of need . I question as to whether they chose the right players in some of these picks.
    I guess time will tell.
    Exactly how I feel about the Browns draft.

Looking around on the web, the grades that different sites are giving to the Browns draft varies wildly. However, I noticed the same thing wrt some other teams too.

Exactly how I feel about the Browns draft.

Looking around on the web, the grades that different sites are giving to the Browns draft varies wildly. However, I noticed the same thing wrt some other teams too.
    Exactly! I've seen our draft graded from D to B+

The Eagles selected a guy who was arrested for witness intimidation and another guy who was arrested for domestic abuse.

You can tell that Andy Reid and Chip Kelly are gone.
    Trying to outraven Baltimore?

Cowboys' last draft pick was baffling
    I think we shoulda picked up another QB
    what round did the Pats get Brady?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hey Ed, I have a question for you.....

Pittsburgh passed on Vonn Bell in the second round and took Sean Davis from Maryland instead. What do you know about this kid?
    I don't watch too much college football and couldn't even name any Maryland players.

I guess time will tell.
    I know the Ravens first pick was top ten but they passed on Myles Jack for an edge rushing linebacker and extra picks. They picked eleven players who they say are all good underrated solid picks. They even picked a guy from Navy who may or may not be eligible to play.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

All in all, a very entertaining first round! I scratched my head at the G-Men's pick. Passing over Hargreaves? I know his name is both "ELI" and "APPLE" but that doesn't mean he has to be a Giant...
    I was thinking the same thing, until I realized the TV hacks who claim to be draft experts are mostly full of shit. They watch game tape.

Meanwhile NFL and Giants scouts have not only watched the same tapes, but also the team tapes from the press box, of every single play these guys have made. Not only that, they've been to practices, and watched those tapes as well. They interviewed all these players, and their coaches. None of the hacks do that stuff.

This 20 year old guy Apple is six feet tall, runs a 4.4 and is athletic as they come. He played for Urban Meyer and Ohio State, a big time program. I heard an interview with his DC Chris Ash who knocked down his 4 interception total easily by saying teams just did not throw his way, because he had his man covered. He only played two years in college, so his technique needs work. They coach him up, he is a starter right away in one of the worse secondaries in football.

I'll take that.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 05-01-2016 at 04:57 PM.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson