Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finch and Other Dutch Progressive Bands

^^^

I'm a Nymph weenie!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Supersister, Het Pandorra Ensemble, Groep 1850 (their native nomen), Bonfire, Solution, Finch, Pantheon, Mecano and the 2nd. and 3rd. Focus albums, plus a couple of Golden Earring's and Kayak's releases. I was never much of an Earth&Fire dude myself.

There were some solid folk bands as well, notably Irolt and Fungus.

Of newer Dutch progressive I hardly find anything of interest whatsoever; most of it comes down to little more than cheap pastiches of old-style "symphonic" rock or near-impossibly kitschy pomp-metal to my ears. The grand exception, for me, are the projects of Dirk Bruinsma, such as Blast, Otolithen, Positive Nuns and the quite excellent Brown Vs. Brown - all of it uncompromisingly intricate and vastly challenging stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^^

Yup, add Bonfire and Blast as good Dutch prog to my original post on page 1
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What is Jan Akkerman's relation to Finch?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What is Jan Akkerman's relation to Finch?
    Finch toured with Akkerman (see: http://www.alexgitlin.com/finch.htm), while Akkerman seems to have said once he was impressed by Finch-guitarist Joop van Nimwegen.

In this clip you see Joop van Nimwegen. some years ago,the grey guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGz23D9scho

Finch, Focus, Supersister and Kayak do it for me!!!
    The Prog Corner

I always found that in the 90s Dutch band Cliffhanger was vastly underrated. I know from having seen them perform live on many occassions that actually their studio recordings don't do them really justice. Here is the massive Bad Dreams from their debut Cold Steel. Sure, the vocals are an acquired taste but I see it more as portraying a character then actually going for a superb vocal performance. BTW, bass player Gijs Koopman was heavily influenced by Finch's Peter Vink. Post Cliffhanger Gijs Koopman became bass player for Dutch neoprog band Knight Area and when he left the bass playing role in Knight Area was taken over by .... Peter Vink !!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    I always found that in the 90s Dutch band Cliffhanger was vastly underrated. I know from having seen them perform live on many occassions that actually their studio recordings don't do them really justice. Here is the massive Bad Dreams from their debut Cold Steel. Sure, the vocals are an acquired taste but I see it more as portraying a character then actually going for a superb vocal performance. BTW, bass player Gijs Koopman was heavily influenced by Finch's Peter Vink. Post Cliffhanger Gijs Koopman became bass player for Dutch neoprog band Knight Area and when he left the bass playing role in Knight Area was taken over by .... Peter Vink !!

Thanks, I didn't know Cold Steel was reissued. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A bit obscure was Henk Werkhoven's "Orphical Positions (only on LP):

Werkhoven", who started making music in the late 60s, would later write the New Age Encyclopedia "The International Guide To New Age Music", while he also made music in bands like Dream Quest and Caerleon Fair.
    A small correction on the above: the album was first released on cassette with different musicians and one other track. See: https://www.discogs.com/Henk-Werkhov...elease/6932317
    B.t.w., the traditional "Alan's Song" is probably a reference to Alan Stivell, who played the same traditional on "In Dublin" as"Spered Hollvedel" in a style very much linked to the old Camel-sound:

Last edited by interbellum; 04-03-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: refresh youtubelink

Just heard the only album by Sustain for the first time. It's from 1978 and it was a private release (featured in the book Private Dutch).
    The LP is hard to find, but Praisley Press made a fine CD-transfer (from an LP) last year.
    The music is somewhere between Camel, Solution and Focus; it's mainly symphonic, but there are some jazz-rock moments too.

The band changed it's name into Sustayn, which recorded a single and the LP Time For A Change (1981). No surprise with such a title: the prog had gone.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    Which band from the classic time period would you say is the most progressive as far as playing some innovative things?
    Perhaps Supersister.

I see no-one has mentioned Flyte

Can't remember if someone mentioned Mirror and Lethe.

Sustain would be a good album if it was instrumental. Horrible vocals, IMHO

But then again, Flyte (somehow, I thought these guys were flemish - or is ut Phylter?) is just as bad with their own vocals
    Last edited by Trane; 10-07-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Sustain would be a good album if it was instrumental. Horrible vocals, IMHO

But then again, Flyte (somehow, I thought these guys were flemish - or is ut Phylter?) is just as bad with their own vocals
    I have Flyte on some cassette-tape and I don't have problems with the vocals.

Flyte were Dutch/Flemish, from the border region. And yes, the vocals (and English lyrics) are terrible, and kind of ruin the album for me. Unsurprisingly, the instrumental is the best track by far.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Flyte were Dutch/Flemish, from the border region. And yes, the vocals (and English lyrics) are terrible, and kind of ruin the album for me. Unsurprisingly, the instrumental is the best track by far.
    According to my book on Dutch popular music, they were from the southern part of The Netherlands. Never had problems with the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    According to my book on Dutch popular music, they were from the southern part of The Netherlands. Never had problems with the vocals.
    From Breda, and half the group was Belgian. Their album was recorded in the Kortrijk area at Kritz Recording Studios , but was distributed by the Dutch Don Quixote label.
    (see RYM's first two reviews)

From Breda, and half the group was Belgian. Their album was recorded in the Kortrijk area at Kritz Recording Studios , but was distributed by the Dutch Don Quixote label.
    (see RYM's first two reviews)
    Some names of the members sound more Flemish than Dutch to me.

I like the first two cd's from Egdon Heath quite a bit( early 90's)

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    I like the first two cd's from Egdon Heath quite a bit( early 90's)
    I have the second and third one. Found the third one in a CD-shop which sold all kinds of overstock. They had several CDs on the SI label for very small prices.

Edgon Heath's Killing Silence is one of the few 90s Dutch Neo Prog Album I still listen to.

Really like the vocalist van der Stempel (who later joined Brassé)

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    The first Spin album is very good indeed, the second not so much.
    The second SPIN, Whirlwind, was released on CD for the first time in April this year by Big Pink from South Korea: https://www.discogs.com/Spin-Whirlwind/release/19866316
    Hopefully they'll go for the first one too!

The first Spin album used to be very easy to find on vinyl in the States. It was one of those where the pressing plant pressed up many more than were actually sold, so lots of sealed copies found their way into used record stores (see also: Motor Motor Motor by the Movies. I was beginning to think I was the only one who ever actually listened to this album, because I never found a copy without the shrink wrap still on!)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Edgon Heath's Killing Silence is one of the few 90s Dutch Neo Prog Album I still listen to.

Really like the vocalist van der Stempel (who later joined Brassé)
    I was just listening to Turbulence earlier tonight which is essentially Brasse. The 20 minute track on there in particular is pretty great. The album probably would have been better received if it came out ten years earlier(it was released in 2001)but I still think it's pretty good(especially that epic track).

As for Egdon Heath I never heard them but I remember their killing silence album being described in an old prog catalog as "a near masterpiece" or something to that effect.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Lady Lake is a band I became aware of about 15 years ago. Their drummer has told me to expect a new album from them.
    I remember tomorrow