Thread: Rikard Sjoblom - The Unbendable

Old man of prog

Rikard Sjoblom - The Unbendable

Been listening to this for a couple of weeks and I'm surprised there's no thread here yet. Not as prog but better than the the last 2 Beardfish albums which have just come up short.

He's an interesting guy - kind of a Mike Keneally Jr. Not as good a keyboard player or guitarist as Mike, but a better singer, and probably about as good a writer. And he has the same problem: music comes so easily to him that his work tends to be facile. He's got his own cliches, they're easily recognizable after a bit of listening, and he rarely manages to get out of them.

Alan, is this more like Bootcut? (Say yes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    He's an interesting guy - kind of a Mike Keneally Jr. Not as good a keyboard player or guitarist as Mike, but a better singer, and probably about as good a writer. And he has the same problem: music comes so easily to him that his work tends to be facile. He's got his own cliches, they're easily recognizable after a bit of listening, and he rarely manages to get out of them.
    I have to disagree with you there, as Rikard is a monster on the Hammond B3. His style is different from Mike Keneally's, but I wouldn't say it's inferior. Keyboards are his primary instrument in Beardfish.

The Unbendable Sleep is quite good. It still definitely sounds like Rikard, but it's different from Beardfish in more than a few ways. Unfortunately, I can't say how it compares to Bootcut as I haven't heard any of that project yet...

Bootcut is just drums and organ as far as I know.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Bootcut is just drums and organ as far as I know.
    Yeah, that's what I understand as well. The Unbendable Sleep definitely has more than just drums and organ, that's for sure.

The first Bootcut, Hammond vs. Drums, is an organ-drums duo. Correct.

The second Bootcut disc, De Fluff, features some additional players. (What, you didn't know there was a second?!)

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

The second Bootcut disc, De Fluff, features some additional players. (What, you didn't know there was a second?!)
    Actually I knew about De Fluff, but didn't realize it had more players on it.

I need to pick these up as some point. Love almost everything Rikard has done.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Cyklonmannen is great as well.
    I haven't checked out this one yet and also still need to buy Gungfly's second album..
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Oh, and a new Bootcut is in the making as we speak
    Finished actually IIRC and should be available on CD and LP soon?
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Oh, and a new Bootcut is in the making as we speak
    F Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

I knew there was a second, just hadn't gotten around to getting it. I'm all the more intrigued now.

I have most Rikard associated stuff...Cyklonmannen, Gungfly, Beardfish, etc. His latest album and the second Bootcut being the exceptions.
    <sig out of order>

Got this recently, been spinning it quite a bit, it's excellent IMO. He's a real natural! Always loved Beardfish.... I need to check out more of what he's done outside of the band...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good album but the last Beardfish sounded better I think.

Hit Lamentations a few times. Man there is some great stuff on that one! Rikard's voice sounds crazy good too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hit Lamentations a few times. Man there is some great stuff on that one! Rikard's voice sounds crazy good too.
    I haven't listened to Lamentations very much at all, out of all his music. I need to revisit that one...

Was listening to On Her Journey To The Sun a few days ago, followed by some Sleeping in Traffic 2. Rikard is such a talent.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did you guys see this hip, new thread I started? I'm trying to listen to all of Beardfish and Gungfly!

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...archid=6503860