Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confess! Great Prog albums that you have been neglecting lately (or even for years.)

Everything I have from Yes.
    Beyond and before, played for the last time: December 2007
    The Yes album, played for the last time: April 2013
    Fragile, played for the last time: April 2013
    Close to the edge, played for the last time: April 2013
    Yessongs, played for the last time: May 2014
    Relayer, played for the last time: April 2013
    Going for the one, played for the last time: January 2014
    Tormato, played for the last time: August 2015
    Drama, played for the last time: June 2011
    Yesshows, played for the last time: June 2015
    Keys to ascension, played for the last time: November 2007

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I listen to new prog(ressive) music as opposed to old prog almost exclusively, and the older music I listen to tends to be doo-wop,The Who/Steely Dan/Love, and other 60s psych besides Love.

Since I know that the "prog classics" I loved back then are getting short shrift, I consciously throw in the odd TFTO, Lamb, Acquiring The Taste etc. into rotation, but, like most here I suspect, when giving props to older prog it's based much more on nostalgia than on recent listening.
    I guess it depends on what “prog generation” you come from? Although I have been exposed to the Big 5 for 30+ years, I’m still going back and filling holes in my collections and discovering other prog classics all the time (thanks to PE). I love listening to new music from my favorite bands, but there is a lot of the new prog that just doesn’t keep my attention like the old stuff.

Rush's entire catalog. Rush was my gateway to prog. I owned every Rush album up to Signals (the new album at the time) before I owned anything by any of the bands that would follow them into my cassette player (Genesis, Yes, ELP, Crimson) in the 80's. But I rarely reach for them anymore.

"Confess! Great Prog albums that you have been neglecting lately (or even for years.)"

Rephrase that as "Confess! Great Prog Albums you are so fucking burnt on you never want to hear them again!" and you are in the right ballpark at my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Great Prog Albums you are so fucking burnt on you never want to hear them again!" and you are in the right ballpark at my place.
    The entire Genesis catalog!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Everything I have from Yes.
    Beyond and before, played for the last time: December 2007
    The Yes album, played for the last time: April 2013
    Fragile, played for the last time: April 2013
    Close to the edge, played for the last time: April 2013
    Yessongs, played for the last time: May 2014
    Relayer, played for the last time: April 2013
    Going for the one, played for the last time: January 2014
    Tormato, played for the last time: August 2015
    Drama, played for the last time: June 2011
    Yesshows, played for the last time: June 2015
    Keys to ascension, played for the last time: November 2007
    You remember the dates when you last listened to these albums? You must really love prog. I could never even remember my wedding anniversary!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

You know, it's funny this topic has come up as I have been mulling over thinning out my cd collection. I have about 100 or so great prog discs that I just don't listen to any more, or have sealed dupes of...a lot of OOP rare stuff too. My rule is if I haven't pulled it out in 5 years, it needs to go. The tedium of listing them one by one on ebay is a daunting proposition. I've thought about trying to do a sale on the sale/trade page on PE which seems equally frightening. 50% are probably $5-10 things, but I have some real head spinners too. It's not fair to them to be sitting in boxes when others could be enjoying them.
    Any pragmatic thoughts about how to go about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    "Confess! Great Prog albums that you have been neglecting lately (or even for years.)"

Rephrase that as "Confess! Great Prog Albums you are so fucking burnt on you never need to hear them again!" and you are in the right ballpark at my place.

Small correction. I don't see how I wouldn't want to ever listen to them again..... But the craving is gone.

Si if I do listen to it, it's either that I want it or ill gladly listen to it if I fall upon it by luck (radio, or at a friend's place or party)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    You remember the dates when you last listened to these albums? You must really love prog. I could never even remember my wedding anniversary!
    No I have database, whee I note which albums I play on wich day.
    It makes it easier to keep track of what I haven't played for some time, to select something to play. With several artists I try to give all albums an equal amount of spins.
    I'm a bit weird.

And I don't have a wedding anniversary to remember.

It makes it easier to keep track of what I haven't played for some time, to select something to play. With several artists I try to give all albums an equal amount of spins.
    I'm a bit weird.
    wow, that sounds like the utmost proghead ...

Listomaia
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The eons are closing
    Since the new year; I have actually been more on a 'classic' kick than 'new' or 'unheard' music.

But for YES - its Relayer, Yessongs or a bootleg. That's it.
    For Crimson - I have the LTIA, Starless and Red boxset 'live' shows in a giant 100 disc changer which I spin on random (some great 'fake' sets that way).
    For ELP - its just Tarkus
    Genesis - just the other day I put on Side 1 and 2 of The Lamb; but otherwise now rarely put them on.
    The Pink Floyd - only up to Meddle.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    wow, that sounds like the utmost proghead ...

Listomaia
    My friend is the same way. He tucks a little card in each CD and jots down when he listens. Whether classical or progressive/rock/jazz, he always listens to every CD at least once a year. And he has thousands of discs.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    You know, it's funny this topic has come up as I have been mulling over thinning out my cd collection. I have about 100 or so great prog discs that I just don't listen to any more, or have sealed dupes of...a lot of OOP rare stuff too. My rule is if I haven't pulled it out in 5 years, it needs to go. The tedium of listing them one by one on ebay is a daunting proposition. I've thought about trying to do a sale on the sale/trade page on PE which seems equally frightening. 50% are probably $5-10 things, but I have some real head spinners too. It's not fair to them to be sitting in boxes when others could be enjoying them.
    Any pragmatic thoughts about how to go about this?
    I don't have an answer for your question. Actually I recently heard someone compare selling off a lot of CDs/LPs individually to be like selling lima beans, which I thought was funny.

You might be best off packaging the less expensive stuff into a lot just to save time listing everything individually.

Rather selfishly, though, I'd like to see the list of rare/OOP CDs you have. I think listing those here on the trading post might be worth it because of the audience here and the relative ease of making a post with a list versus individual e-Bay/Amazon listings.

It is a quandary, though, as the market for used CDs doesn't seem to be what it once was.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    My friend is the same way. He tucks a little card in each CD and jots down when he listens. Whether classical or progressive/rock/jazz, he always listens to every CD at least once a year. And he has thousands of discs.
    All over the world there are conferences & symposiums where your friend could make a lot of money as a consultant to Anal Retentive/OCD breakout groups.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There are a LOT, but I've never heard Aphrodite's Child's 666.

That makes no sense. Does he spend all his time while listening to albums digging through the CDs to find an index card with a most recent date perilously close to a year ago? Also, once he gets to ~5000 albums he wont be awake long enough to listen to them all every year.

Floyd, I never get tired of. Only Piper and More don't get played but they never really did. If I reach for Yes its Magnification or the Symphonic Live DVD. Love them both. Can't remember the last time I listened to ELP. If I listen to Genesis, it will be one of the live albums. They are one of the few bands that are better live. I do play Tony Banks the most out of all of their solo albums. I can't get enough of his work, especially his first album, 6 and Still. PG's Live Blood is awesome too. King Crimson, its only Frame by Frame or Thrak. The Moodies is only their later stuff, which isn't very prog at all. LDV is fantastic from the first time I spun it. Several of their live albums with an orchestra have fit the bill lately. Red Rocks and the Bonus disk on Time Traveller work for me.

I am way late to the party as I have had some of them for several years , but I am finally listening to Camel and it works for me. Snow Goose, Moonmadness, A Nod and A wink and Harbour of Tears are new to me and I am pissed that I waited so long to 'discover' them.

Looking back on what I wrote, I am not listening to the originals anymore but still listening to the artists

You mean he listens with an agenda and forces himself to listen to stuff he doesn't feel like??

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    All over the world there are conferences & symposiums where your friend could make a lot of money as a consultant to Anal Retentive/OCD breakout groups.
    My thoughts exactly.... This guy would give good'ol Sigmund Freud a field day

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    That makes no sense. Does he spend all his time while listening to albums digging through the CDs to find an index card with a most recent date perilously close to a year ago? Also, once he gets to ~5000 albums he wont be awake long enough to listen to them all every year.

not to mention, that when you have so many albums, there are probably a shitload of them you don't care for anymore (or never cared for at all), so this man has some kind of masochistic trait about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You mean he listens with an agenda and forces himself to listen to stuff he doesn't feel like??

My thoughts exactly.... This guy would give good'ol Sigmund Freud a field day

not to mention, that when you have so many albums, there are probably a shitload of them you don't care for anymore (or never cared for at all), so this man has some kind of masochistic trait about him.
    I don't go that far. I don't feel the need to play every album I own every year. And there are groups I have albums, I prefer over others, so they are played a bit more. I choose what I want to play and look in my database if there is perhaps an album I haven't played for a long time, that fits my needs.

I probably went 20 years without listening to the first UK - until last night. And then I put on another neglected 70's favorite that I've been forgetting about: Utopia Ra.

Almost like I knew this thread was coming!!!
    The Prog Corner

I'm a bit weird.

And I don't have a wedding anniversary to remember.
    I also have an excel database with all my cds entered. For each cd, I always input the last day that I listened. Thus, I could also generate a similar list of Yes albums and the last date that I listened to them.

Yeah, most of the 70's "greats" that I started listening to 30 years ago don't get much, if any play anymore. Interestingly I recently pulled out Tarkus for a few listens in my car. I don't know when the last time I listened to a Yes album was, though over the summer I gave quite a few listens to Prodigy (the 2 CD version).

I just recently bought England Garden Shed for the first time so I guess that doesn't really count since I never heard it before last year.

Someone mentioned Camel, and I realized I haven't spun any Camel in ages either. Have to remedy that soon.

In general though, I do try to play one or two "classics" every year or so, just to remind myself how great they are/were. My significant other plays Pink Floyd quite often, so I always hear that (though I would be okay if I didn't anymore.......heard them ALL SO MANY TIMES, it gets a bit tiresome sometimes).

I don't know if they're well known in USA but Barclay James Harvest was the group of my teen years (at least for me). They were always considered progressive rock. Didn't listen to them for years. Then found myself drifting back to them in recent years, in particular their first 3 or 4 albums and specifically the song 'Mockingbird'. On rediscovering them was shocked to learn that the group had been decimated (don't know the term for 50% death rate), the drummer of a heart attack and the keyboard player suicide. Clearly listening once again to those early songs there was a weariness of life for all to see. Suicide was on the cards.
    Drifting back to the theme of this post most of what I used to listen to quietly gathers dust. Now I kid you not, the hottest thing on my turntable is the incomprable, exquisite voice of Karen Carpenter - I simply can't get enough of it.