Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anderson/Ponty dates rolling in(Tickets now on sale)

New interview on TV! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

New interview on TV! ^^^
    Awesome exposure. But great journalism? Not so much.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Awesome exposure. But great journalism? Not so much.
    Oh my freakin' god. That is terrible journalism. My sympathies to Jon and Jean-Luc for having to be there! I think Ponty gets a nice answer in right at the end.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Leave it to Jim "The Red" Braude to turn an interview with a couple of musicians into a platform for his left-wing crap. He couldn't cut it on commercial radio, so he latched onto state-run media.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How long have the shows been?
    Infinity! (Intermission right now)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Very much looking forward to tomorrow night's show here in 'Hamp.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Oh my freakin' god. That is terrible journalism. My sympathies to Jon and Jean-Luc for having to be there! I think Ponty gets a nice answer in right at the end.

Henry
    Wow, that guy's pretty irritating. "Let's talk about music. Now let's talk about terrorism. Now let's talk about music again." I'll bet he didn't really listen to the CD.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask, one of their songs sounds like it starts with a few bars of Jacko's "Beat It," but I can't remember which song. Am I right?

The Beverly show started about 8:10 and ended around 10:45, with about a half hour intermission. I just flipped through the beginnings of all of the tracks from the album/dvd and nothing reminded me of Beat It.

NP:

s-l1000.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how Rayford Griffin managed to squeeze an 8 hour drum solo into a show that was around 2 1/2 hours long.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Great show last night at the Calvin. Could have stood the volume to be a tad higher, but maybe it's my ears as my friend said the volume was just right.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask, one of their songs sounds like it starts with a few bars of Jacko's "Beat It," but I can't remember which song. Am I right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The Beverly show started about 8:10 and ended around 10:45, with about a half hour intermission. I just flipped through the beginnings of all of the tracks from the album/dvd and nothing reminded me of Beat It.

NP:

s-l1000.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how Rayford Griffin managed to squeeze an 8 hour drum solo into a show that was around 2 1/2 hours long.
    This is the track I mean - to me, it seems like they are leading into playing Beat It! From about 1:17 to 1:45.

Last edited by JKL2000; 05-26-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    progholio what did you think of the St. Louis show?
    Sorry it took a while to catch this but here it goes -
    It was fantastic, a real "You got your chocolate in my peanut butter" kind of a show. The merging of JLP's band performing Yes music with Jon and Jon adding lyrics and vocals to older JLP tunes really worked well. Anderson sounded as good as he did last time i saw him (back in the early 00's with Wakeman in the fold) and Ponty's band was on fire. It was great to see a group of guys play so well with such exuberance and judging from the looks on their faces they really seemed to enjoy the shit out of what they were doing. Only minor nit-pick (and this could have just been the venue) was the guitar in the mix. Jamie Glaser, who is a fantastic player had 2 Mesa Rectifier half stacks in the backline (the same stuff Metallica uses) yet he was barely audible, in fact his amplified acoustic sat much better than the electric stuff.

Very thrilled to have made the decision to go, I'm thinking i enjoyed this show much, much better than i would seeing the current Yes band.

This is the track I mean - to me, it seems like they are leading into playing Beat It! From about 1:17 to 1:45.
    OK. Mystical Adventures (featuring Rhythms of Hope, the original tune) came out around 9 months before Thriller.

OK. Mystical Adventures (featuring Rhythms of Hope, the original tune) came out around 9 months before Thriller.
    Did it have that part in it? Maybe Jacko stole it. What album is it from? Is any of the music on the album new?

See the post that you're responding to.

Is any of the music on the album new?
    If you mean on Better Late Than Never, yes. See http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnja.htm#2014band for details, but "A for Aria", "ICU" and "Soul Eternal" all appear to be new, as in not using any material previously released, although the first two pre-date the collaboration with Ponty.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Henry,
    "Intro" [Minko] (1:18); sort of an overture for the album",
    IIRC it has musical quotes from a few Yes and Ponty pieces. (And You And I and I forget what else)

"ICU" [Anderson/Damon Anderson/Sean Anderson] (3:55), elsewhere known as "I See You Messenger"; heard as a demo on Kickstarter and previously just called "I See You"; a new piece
    When I first saw the tracklist I assumed it was related to Cosmic Messenger and the Byrds cover that Yes did, but apparently not, unless it's well-disguised.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 05-26-2016 at 05:36 PM.

See the post that you're responding to.

Oops, ok

One part that was definitely all new was when Anderson rides Ponty like a horse during Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was at the show in Montreal last night. The Anderson/Ponty band put on a highly entertaining show. The show started at 8:20 and finished at 11:30, including a break. Lots of twists on Yes classic songs. Ponty shined on both his interpretation on Yes music and his own music. Lots of energy throughout - the band really blended well together. The encore songs we great, including Soon, which was really moving. Overall, the musicianship was stellar and everyone of the musicians had a chance to perform and show their skills.

The last time I saw Jean Luc Ponty was when he backed up Supertramp in the late 70s. it was great to see him at work again. Jon is always a pleasure to see/watch and he was in great form.

It's funny that I didn't get tickets until the day before the show and will still able to get 7th row seats but off to the he side - still a perfect view of the stage. The show still looked well attended.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-27-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Decent review of The Egg shore from my local newspaper. Got the bass players name wrong oh well.

I could've watched this band all night.

Anderson, Ponty and band deliver fantastic show
    By DAVID SINGER/For The Daily Gazette

ALBANY — Jon Anderson came to the Egg’s Hart Theater Wednesday night with Jean-Luc Ponty and a crackerjack band.

Tightly orchestrated, they gave us some great moments. They also took some good songs at the beginning and delivered lifeless moments with arrangements too tight and too busy. But they delivered more than enough through most of the show to make the night, as a whole, fantastic.

The AndersonPonty Band was a lot of Anderson out front, singing, explaining his thoughts behind the songs, reciting poetry, and projecting his signature voice that we all equate with the band Yes.

The sound of his voice has not changed, but the clarity and the attack of his lines have decreased. He is more gentle with his singing, and more thoughtful, seemingly concerned with us understanding the meaning of his songs.

They played early in the show “Owner of a Lonely Heart,” where Ponty played his first big solo. His playing hasn’t turned down: still aggressive, electric and with a lot of notes in a small amount of time.

In “Listening to Me,” the first song that the two wrote together, the song seemed less about melody, more about texture, and creating a setting for the lyrics.

“If you don’t like the movie in your head, change the reel,” Anderson said between songs, along with other similar far-out lines, before apologizing to everyone for getting too deep. He then sang “Limitless Beings,” the second song they wrote as a duo. Then Anderson left the stage for “Jig,” a Ponty song where all band members took an extended solo, including Ponty. Every member was impressive.

They closed the first set with a new song called “New New World.” This was uplifting, catchy, and had the feel of an old Yes tune.

The show was long, and while the musicians were great, we didn’t need a long classical piano. And I love drum solos like the next guy, and Rayford Griffin was great, but a long drum solo seemed unrelated to an AndersonPonty show.

And then came songs like “Wondrous Stories,” a classic they played with a wonderfully sparse treatment. Anderson sounded great on this, and it was fine that he didn’t try to reach those high notes of his youth. Ponty played an impeccable solo here, against a relaxed groove set by the band. Probably the nicest song of the night.

They followed with “Long Distance Run Around.” But not without a nice, jazzy little jam led by bassist Browne. The acoustic version of the song was very cool, and smart. You don’t want to compete with the old band on this one.

“Renaissance of the Sun,” the third song they wrote together, was fine. Ponty’s long solo threw in some ear-bending trickery. But his large solo also made sense, where he led us through a sensible beginning, middle and end, allowing us to follow him with ease.

While the first set had a few deadspots, the second set was great, the band came together song after song.

“State of Independence” was a huge surprise. It started as just another tune, but soon built into a moving number that turned out to be the strongest of the night. Anderson sang his hardest of the night on this and people jumped from their seats when the song ended.

He talked a little about Chris Squire, “a musical brother,” and dedicated to him “And You and I.” Anderson was great on this. While he has been singing the song for decades upon decades, he still gets inside the song like an actor in a role. The band did a great job lifting the instrumental portion to its proper heights. During this part, you can see Anderson in the back, unlit, swaying his body to the lilting sounds.

Browne took another great bass solo as a build-up to “Roundabout.” As excited as we were to hear the song, as good as the band played it, as cool as Anderson sang it, it managed to fall short of expectations. But the show had already had so many bright spots. As a whole, the concert was art. Anderson and Ponty have experience writing, performing, and designing concerts as much as anyone on earth. And they put it to use Wednesday night.

"'If you don’t like the movie in your head, change the reel,' Anderson said between songs, along with other similar far-out lines..."

OMG, I'm tripping, that's SO far out!!

LOL - I actually liked that intro to the song, but didn't think it was so far out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Decent review of The Egg shore from my local newspaper. Got the bass players name wrong oh well.
    Well, Anderson called him "Steve Jones" when they hit Boston last year.

Here's a good interview with Anderson/Ponty guitarist Jamie Glaser.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/frie...?autoplay=true
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Here's a good interview with Anderson/Ponty guitarist Jamie Glaser.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/frie...?autoplay=true
    OMG, now I have "I'm gonna take that cookie!" stuck in my head.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.