Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anderson/Ponty dates rolling in(Tickets now on sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I cannot believe they are playing in Madison and I can't make it. Really glad we saw them last fall as I just cannot be in town that weekend. Stupid adult/family responsibilities...
    I have a different dilemma. This Wed 5/4 I'm driving from Madison to Champaign to pick up a friend & then we're driving to Gettysburg for RoSFest. 2 1/2 days on the road and then 3 days and nights of music & partying followed by another 2 1/2 day drive back. Probably will have to go straight from the road after a week to the High Noon on Wed 5/11 for Black Mountain, who I've never seen & really like a lot, before I stumble home. I even booked my cat sitter for an extra day. The next night Thu 5/12 is The English Beat and then Sat 5/14 is APB @ the Barrymore.

White Mountain, English Beat & APB, based on the reality of being a 71 year old man with many of the ailments that chronology can bring & my past experience, will all be game-time decisions & if any of them sell out (APB is the least likely to do that - bigger venue), so be it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I have a different dilemma. This Wed 5/4 I'm driving from Madison to Champaign to pick up a friend & then we're driving to Gettysburg for RoSFest. 2 1/2 days on the road and then 3 days and nights of music & partying followed by another 2 1/2 day drive back. Probably will have to go straight from the road after a week to the High Noon on Wed 5/11 for Black Mountain, who I've never seen & really like a lot, before I stumble home. I even booked my cat sitter for an extra day. The next night Thu 5/12 is The English Beat and then Sat 5/14 is APB @ the Barrymore.

White Mountain, English Beat & APB, based on the reality of being a 71 year old man with many of the ailments that chronology can bring & my past experience, will all be game-time decisions & if any of them sell out (APB is the least likely to do that - bigger venue), so be it.
    That's a good dilemma.

I've thought about trying to catch the English Beat, but that will have to be a close to the date decision (if tickets remain) as I may be heading out that day. We have a family reunion at our cabin over Memorial Day weekend and that is the only weekend I can get up there this month to get it ready (and while we've opened it up, it really needs a bit of readying).

I can't imagine APB selling out which is why we held off originally when we realized the schedule was a possible problem.

Set list for Anaheiim last night is now posted. Apparently no Enigmatic Ocean which would be a disappointment. But if it's like the Bettter Late Than Never set they slip In some additional Ponty moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Set list for Anaheiim last night is now posted. Apparently no Enigmatic Ocean which would be a disappointment. But if it's like the Bettter Late Than Never set they slip In some additional Ponty moments.
    Wonder if that's actually the full set as it's about 2/3 of what they performed last tour. Maybe just what the poster recalled/knew names of. (?) If that's all I won't head up to Albany.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Wonder if that's actually the full set as it's about 2/3 of what they performed last tour. Maybe just what the poster recalled/knew names of. (?) If that's all I won't head up to Albany.
    It's 12 of the 19 tunes that they did at the show I saw in Boston last year. Nothing new, and 7 pieces short. It has to be an incomplete setlist.

Got front row ticket for next week in Minneapolis! Stoked! I haven't been blown away by the clips,but i think its mainly trying to get used to the different arrangements of the YES songs. it will be great to see Jon again though. last time was on the front row in 2005. And i'll be sitting on Jean Luc's side, so that will be great seeing him that close for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's 12 of the 19 tunes that they did at the show I saw in Boston last year. Nothing new, and 7 pieces short. It has to be an incomplete setlist.
    The Tucson show is up on bigO - http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2881
    It seems to be the same, full set they did last go-round-about. Loved it last time in NYC, Albany is back in the planning for me.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

So it looks as though the only new addition to the setlist is a mashup of Yours Is No Disgrace and Egocentric Molecules with Anderson adding new age lyrics over one of Ponty's more up-tempo pieces. Not sure if I like it.

Saw the Dallas show last night and highly recommend everyone to check it out if it comes near you. Parts of this concert were absolutely spellbinding! In particular the second set really came together and highlighted this astonishing backing band they have put together. Wally Minko, Jamie Glaser, Rayford Griffin and Keith Jones - just an incredible band! The new takes on Wonderous Stories, Long Distance Runaround worked great. A very intense and driving rendition of State of Independence brought the house down and had the whole audience giving a standing ovation.

One of those concerts that leaves you buzzing afterword knowing that you have seen something really special. Fantastic night!

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Saw the Dallas show last night and highly recommend everyone to check it out if it comes near you. Parts of this concert were absolutely spellbinding! In particular the second set really came together and highlighted this astonishing backing band they have put together. Wally Minko, Jamie Glaser, Rayford Griffin and Keith Jones - just an incredible band! The new takes on Wonderous Stories, Long Distance Runaround worked great. A very intense and driving rendition of State of Independence brought the house down and had the whole audience giving a standing ovation.

One of those concerts that leaves you buzzing afterword knowing that you have seen something really special. Fantastic night!
    Can't wait! Tomorrow night here in Minnesota. My understanding is that this is basically Jean Luc's back-up band. Rayford Griffin is a monster drummer who has played with alot of jazz greats.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    My understanding is that this is basically Jean Luc's back-up band.
    This guys were with him in various combinations (and with others) from '79 to '96 or thereabouts--mostly Glaser and Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

Thanks for this post - it gave me the kick in the ass i needed, ended up with a pair of 5th row tix for tomorrow night in St Louis. I know Jean Luc and his band are top flight and a chance to see Anderson performing - well, this is kind of a no-brainer really.

Saw this incredible show tues. night. Front row, just feet from Jean Luc. He impressed me the most. his ending to AYAI was just stunning. State of Independence was Jon's crowning moment-breathtaking! As already mentioned the band was incredibly tight-esp. on JLP's Enigmatic Ocean. The whole last set was stellar, the last six songs- Mesmerizing!

Saw this incredible show tues. night. Front row, just feet from Jean Luc. He impressed me the most. his ending to AYAI was just stunning. State of Independence was Jon's crowning moment-breathtaking! As already mentioned the band was incredibly tight-esp. on JLP's Enigmatic Ocean. The whole last set was stellar, the last six songs- Mesmerizing!
    Yes, that last set really was amazing! Jon and all the players really throw themselves into the music and the performances, no just going through the motions here.

progholio what did you think of the St. Louis show?

State of Independence was easily the highlight of the night when we saw this last fall.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Seeing APB tonight in Tarrytown! Fifth row, center on the aisle - my usual seats!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Got an email from the Calvin--"Amazing Seats Just released!" In other words, few (including me) seemed to want to spring for "Gold Circle" tix for over 200 bucks, so now those seats are like $80. I sure would be pissed if I paid more than double than the guy sitting next to me who waited for a few days before the show and scored the discounted seat. Is this standard practice? Does the Gold Circle patron get a refund?

You are the one!
    Infinity!
    Infinity!

(I'll be at the Beverly show on Friday)

Had a good time at the show in Tarrytown last night, in spite of the three enormous oafs who sat in front of me and my son, reeking of Ax body spray and cigarette smoke, and proceeded to sneak recordings of the show, and Facetime their hideous girlfriends. Oh, for a deathray!

This is one of the few shows I've been to that I felt should have been a bit louder. Also, some of the solo spots were never-friggin-ending! Just too much. The long, very quiet one by Ponty was actually beautiful I thought, but it was a bit much to expect of the audience. The drum solo too, was not as suicide-inducing as some drum solos, but still way to f-ing long.

But since I'd not seen Anderson since the Union tour, it was a joy to see him on stage and so cheerful. He really is very musical and positive. I'd seen Ponty once with Return to Forever a few years ago, but this was more fun.

It was actually pretty satisfying to see the Kickstarter campaign culminate (for me) in this show. I wouldn't mind a live CD from this tour. I can't remember what the heck is on the DVD that came with the APB CD - anyone remember?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Footage of a live show with studio-sounding audio and guitarist excised.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can't remember what the heck is on the DVD that came with the APB CD - anyone remember?
    Same performances, slightly different sound, a few extra tracks, a few missing tracks. Jamie Glaser appears on the soundtrack, but not on screen.

And who were the musicians up there with Jon and Ponty last night? I could never really catch the names.

And who were the musicians up there with Jon and Ponty last night? I could never really catch the names.
    From Ponty's '70s/'80s band, Wally Minko-keys, Keith Jones-bass, Rayford Griffin-drums, Jamie Glaser-guitar
    Glaser first showed up in '78 on the tour supporting Cosmic Messenger. Griffin on Mystical Adventures.

Had a good time at the show in Tarrytown last night, in spite of the three enormous oafs who sat in front of me and my son, reeking of Ax body spray and cigarette smoke, and proceeded to sneak recordings of the show, and Facetime their hideous girlfriends. Oh, for a deathray!
    I was in Row L, right in front of a guy who felt the need to whistle really loudly in the quietest passages being played.

This is one of the few shows I've been to that I felt should have been a bit louder. Also, some of the solo spots were never-friggin-ending! Just too much. The long, very quiet one by Ponty was actually beautiful I thought, but it was a bit much to expect of the audience. The drum solo too, was not as suicide-inducing as some drum solos, but still way to f-ing long.
    Yeah, the solos were lengthy, but all of them were so damn good, I didn't mind this at all. Heck, the drum solo was more of a "performance piece" than a drum solo. That Ponty solo that you are referring to is Ponty's "Eulogy to Oscar Romero" which I think fits the poignant theme of the Squire tribute and deserved the standing ovation that he got for that. Really moving piece.

I saw them on this tour twice last year and this was just as good as those dates. Outstanding concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I was in Row L, right in front of a guy who felt the need to whistle really loudly in the quietest passages being played.
    I heard that moron. Obviously.

I'm going to that Pink Floyd DSOTM recreation thing there Saturday night. I love going to shows there, despite some of the crowd you get there.