Thread: ACQUA FRAGILE - Esoteric or Sony CDs?

ACQUA FRAGILE - Esoteric or Sony CDs?

Does anyone have an opinion about the Esoteric versus Sony versions of the Acqua Fragile CDs?

I thought this may have been discussed here before, but could not locate a related thread.
    My apologies if I'm covering old ground.

Vinyl.

That is all.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Vinyl.

That is all.

You have been brainwashed.

I don't have the Acqua Fragile releases from Esoteric, but I have many, many other Esoteric releases. In my experience, they are usually better and no worse than the previous releases. The packaging is almost always an improvement. Esoteric service a niche market, so they know they have to deliver the best available sound and package. Hopefully, someone will add a more informed opinion of these specific recordings.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    You have been brainwashed.
    Or Discwashed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion about the Esoteric versus Sony versions of the Acqua Fragile CDs?

I thought this may have been discussed here before, but could not locate a related thread.
    My apologies if I'm covering old ground.
    When in doubt, alway go Esoteric

No comment on the Esoterics except to say that I don't recommend them in this specific case.

If you have to own these on CD, get the original RCA for the s/t (I think the version now in print again may be a clone of this; not 100% sure) and the Japanese King CD for Mass Media Stars.

If you want to hear how great these albums sounded before the CD-era jacked up all the treble on them and made them bright as pink paint on an elephant's ass, then grab the Japanese King LPs from the 80s; which are reasonably priced and sound INCREDIBLE! MMS was also released on Import in the US and this sounds as good as the Japan vinyl and far better than any CD version ever issued.

Esoteric take time and care Mark and Vicky know what they are doing it is a labour of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Jackson View Post
    Esoteric take time and care Mark and Vicky know what they are doing it is a labour of love.
    That is true in every regard except when they let the remastering engineer use too much compression or a wonky EQ, which often happens unfortunately.

Japanese King vinyl issues is the way to go. You get the great original sound plus a much better vinyl quality/pressing than the italian releases.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Some of my Esoteric titles sound great, and unfortunately some do seem to have mastering "excesses", especially when compared to earlier versions. I have the original CD's of both of these, which are good enough for me. I do have to EQ the second album CD a lot (no bass otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Jackson View Post
    Unfortunately 90% of Esoteric CDs that I have heard are not flat transfers, and were EQed or compressed. Too bad because they have great reissues.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Some of my Esoteric titles sound great, and unfortunately some do seem to have mastering "excesses", especially when compared to earlier versions. I have the original CD's of both of these, which are good enough for me. I do have to EQ the second album CD a lot (no bass otherwise).
    You probably have the Contempo version which really lacks bass. Don't know what happened there. The Japanese King CD is better.

But the old Japanese King LP has not only bass but less bright top end. IMO, people should be jumping on those old JPN LPs while they are still reasonably priced. Those are probably the last analog reissues of these albums we'll ever see. The vinyl is dead quiet and the albums sound wonderful. The debut even has the full foldout cover like the original album.

Yes, Jeff, I have the Contempo CD. Though I've had both albums on LP (or now CD) since they were released, I wouldn't list them as RPI favorites. Each album has a couple of tracks that I like...

I happen to own AF last CD "A New Chant" , and it is very impressive, maybe better than their 70s stuff. To my surprise, I have found VdGG references in their recent album. Lanzetti sounds great, and musicianship is superb. They easily surpass PFM and Museo Rochenbach's late albums.