Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jean Michel Jarre

Jean Michel Jarre

Not sure if he's prog or not but he's released details of his second Electronica album!

Did anyone buy the first? There where lots of negative reviews on Amazon so I never bothered!

Electronica Vol 2: The Heart Of Noise tracklist
    1.The Heart of Noise Pt. 1
    2.The Heart of Noise Pt. 2
    3.Brick England (Feat Pet Shop Boys)
    4.As One (Feat Primal Scream)
    5.Exit
    6.These Creatures (Feat Julia Holter)
    7.Here For You (Feat Gary Numan)
    8.The Architect (Jeff Mills)
    9.What You Want (Feat Peaches)
    10.Circus: JM Jarre (Feat Siriusmo)
    11.Why This, Why That, Why (Feat Yello)
    12.Switch On Leon (The Orb)
    13.Gisele (Feat Sebastien Tellier)
    14.Electrees (Feat Hans Zimmer)
    15.Swipe To The Right (Feat Cyndi Lauper)
    16.Walking The Mile
    17.Falling Down
    18.The Heart of Noise (The Origin)

I bought the first... and the reviews are pretty accurate. It's a disjointed affair, no theme or flow and to cap it all the music just ain't that good.

I don't think I'll be bothering with the second.

I liked enough of 1 to go for 2. In particular the John Carpenter collab was awesome.

Julia Holter on 2 is probably worth the price of admission alone for me.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ...his second Electronica album!
    ...I never bothered!
    You sound pretty excited about it, even when you skipped the first one.

The exclamation point would seem to be Rufus' preferred manner of punctuation.

Suspended
    Some people just love exclamation marks!

Not sure if he's prog or not but he's released details of his second Electronica album!

Did anyone buy the first? There where lots of negative reviews on Amazon so I never bothered!
    (The Origin)
    Not sure what Amazon you are looking at because both on Amazon UK and Amazon.com, the reviews are predominantly positive and on both sites, the votes tally the album to over 4 stars out of 5. Plus, the album garnered some of the best critics reviews he has ever obtained. Personally, I thought it was pretty entertaining and in nany ways sounded more like his earlier material than anything he had done in a while. Just my opinion, but it's a bit unfair to the artist to start a thread with a negative comment about their work that is unclear or perhaps even untrue. At least specify what Amazon you are referring to. Amazon.UK literally has 5 total what I would call negative reviews (2 stars or less) out of 177 posted. On Amazon.com, 2 out of 17 are negative. I would say it is a stretch to call that "lots".

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Not sure what Amazon you are looking at because both on Amazon UK and Amazon.com, the reviews are predominantly positive and on both sites, the votes tally the album to over 4 stars out of 5. Plus, the album garnered some of the best critics reviews he has ever obtained. Personally, I thought it was pretty entertaining and in nany ways sounded more like his earlier material than anything he had done in a while. Just my opinion, but it's a bit unfair to the artist to start a thread with a negative comment about their work that is unclear or perhaps even untrue. At least specify what Amazon you are referring to. Amazon.UK literally has 5 total what I would call negative reviews (2 stars or less) out of 177 posted. On Amazon.com, 2 out of 17 are negative. I would say it is a stretch to call that "lots".
    Like you, I was under the impression folks actually liked Electronica 1, more than maybe was initially expected.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Suspended
    ...and can I just add that I like Battema's new avatar much better than the old. What is it? Something music related, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ...and can I just add that I like Battema's new avatar much better than the old. What is it? Something music related, I assume.
    It's me, from years ago, standing on top of a huge pile of snow with the image "negativized." I can't recall if I ever used it with an album though.

I was totally bored with his Electronica vol 1 of last year
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not sure if he's prog or not
    He USED to be.

I heard the Vol.1 a while ago and while some of it worked, I thought a lot of it just plain wasn't interesting and seemed to be him trying to "modernize" by dueting with current artists. I much prefer his early 4-5 albums by FAR! Oh and in my opinion, he's never been prog.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I heard the Vol.1 a while ago and while some of it worked, I thought a lot of it just plain wasn't interesting and seemed to be him trying to "modernize" by dueting with current artists. I much prefer his early 4-5 albums by FAR! Oh and in my opinion, he's never been prog.
    That's interesting because personally, I thought the album saw him going backwards from a "modernization" perspective which was actually a positive. His last studio album attempted to be very modern and it is one of my least favorites of his. I actually like that Electronica Vol 1 was reflective to an extent and I also enjoyed it's commercial accessibility. That may be a dirty word around here, but I thought it worked well for the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I was totally bored with his Electronica vol 1 of last year
    Please don't take this as snarky. I am asking sincerely, but do you like the modem output of any 70's artist or band? It just seems that I rarely see you say anything positive about modern releases by established artists.

Come on guys, get with the program here...like what I like, or GTFO

4 out of 5 is pretty terrible for an Amazon average though
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Come on guys, get with the program here...like what I like, or GTFO

I truly wasn't trying to imply that. I was more just stating that I liked the album well enough and Rufus's assertion of "lots" of bad reviews was off the mark, IMO. 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 6 negative reviews out of 194 hardly seems bad to me at least.

Interesting idea, and it's great that he's still passionate about making new music. Haven't really listened to much of it yet though.

I truly wasn't trying to imply that. I was more just stating that I liked the album well enough and Rufus's assertion of "lots" of bad reviews was off the mark, IMO. 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 6 negative reviews out of 194 hardly seems bad to me at least.
    I know you weren't...I was just having a chuckle in general

It's all good...I like it, I wouldn't hold it up as superior to anything he did in the 70's but there's some fun to be had on there as well. I can also see why folks who are very fond of his earlier era(s) wouldn't entirely be blown away by this though.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I know you weren't...I was just having a chuckle in general

It's all good...I like it, I wouldn't hold it up as superior to anything he did in the 70's but there's some fun to be had on there as well. I can also see why folks who are very fond of his earlier era(s) wouldn't entirely be blown away by this though.
    No doubt. My guess is that fans of his 80's and 90's output would find more to enjoy on Electronica Vol. 1.

Please don't take this as snarky. I am asking sincerely, but do you like the modem output of any 70's artist or band? It just seems that I rarely see you say anything positive about modern releases by established artists.
    Well, you're kind of right about this...

I'd say that I still like the latest Present or UZ albums ... and I absolutely loved AZ's 44 1/2 show at last year's RIO Fest.

in a more widely-known artiste cased: I really enjoyed Santana's Shape Shifter album, and impatiently waiting for the Santana IV release in a couple of weeks and Winwood's last tour in Europe was really good (danced all the way through, until he got to the Arc of a Diver era)

As for JMJ, even in his years, I'm not that big on everything he did. TBH, I only ever liked Oxygene and Equinoxe . I'm still trying to find one of his earlier two albums (I heard the film OST album >> not impressed), and I was not really impressed with the stuff he did for the French Singer Christpohe either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For me JMJ has always been very hit and miss. When he was on he delivered some great tunes and performance. But when he was off, he was like the 80s equivalent of an easy-listening Hammond organ pedlar, churning out album after album of the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    For me JMJ has always been very hit and miss. When he was on he delivered some great tunes and performance. But when he was off, he was like the 80s equivalent of an easy-listening Hammond organ pedlar, churning out album after album of the same stuff.

Most of the interest would be in his mega-project concerts, I think

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm just thankful that, thanks to the web, I'm able to preview things like the first Electronica and Teo+Tea before making the mistake of buying them. There are a few tracks like the TD, Carpenter & a couple of others on E.#1 that I might buy individually.