Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marillion - Montreal weekend 2013

Hi everyone, Jonathan here. Like Dave, I too am really looking forward to this weekend. It's been a blast rehearsing with Sound of Contact, and i'm really excited to be the drummer (when Simon's not) for this extremely cool debut gig. Hope to see some of you there!

Looking forward to seeing you play Jonathan, I've not been lucky enough to catch a D97 show!

Typing this from my hotel in Montreal

Jefferson James
    Wow, that's cool -- Jonathan and Sound of Contact! Wish I could be there (Heliopolis vocalist Scott Jones will be there -- HUGE Marillion freak). Wishing nothing but broken legs to SOC and hoping everyone has a blast. Oh, and that the weather cooperates, too.

On the way to Montreal, arriving late this evening. I peeked at the setlists from the NL convention, looking forward to a fantastic weekend - my second time in Montreal, after 2011. Safe travels to those who are headed there.

I'm currently quaffing pints of craft beer at Brutopia in Montreal for the Thursday night "pre-weekend gathering". Going to pop in here on Saturday afternoon as well and watch Edison's Children play an intimate set! Bring on the Marillion festivities!

You folks have a great time!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    An update for anyone going to see Edison's Children at Brutopia tomorrow:

Tomorrows show @ Brutopia in Montreal is now 1:30 NOT 2PM. You don't want to miss the beginning!

Due to extended soundchecks... we've had to push the show back by a half hour

Trust us... you don't want to miss the beginning :>)~

Doors open at Brutopia at 1pm. See ya there.
    For more info go to http://www.edisonschildren.com

^^ thanks for that! I will be there.

Mystery just finished their opening spot and they were great! Very energetic. Too bad the set was only 45 minutes! Bring on Marillion!

Back at the hotel after an exhilarating first night. That must have been one of the most random setlists in marillion's history! Observe:

Set one
    -----------
    Montreal
    Under The Sun
    The Answering Machine
    Three Minute Boy (extended)
    Now She'll Never Know (Pete on guitar)
    These Chains
    Born To Run
    Cathedral Wall
    A Few Words For The Dead

Set two
    -----------
    80 Days
    Genie
    Somewhere Else
    Hooks In You
    Cover My Eyes
    Slainte Mhath
    Lavender
    Heart Of Lothian
    King

Encore
    ----------
    Script For A Jester's Tear
    Happiness Is The Road

... I feel like I'm forgetting something. But there you go.

We shall see what Night #2 brings!
    Last edited by Progatron; 03-23-2013 at 06:50 AM.

^^ Setlist was the same during the Port Zelande weekend except for the opening song. Very smart of them to do it right away so it doesn't loom large over the rest of the weekend. I suspect they will do it again on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    ^^ Setlist was the same during the Port Zelande weekend except for the opening song. Very smart of them to do it right away so it doesn't loom large over the rest of the weekend. I suspect they will do it again on Sunday.
    Really? I don't know that I want to see a lengthy track like that played twice in the same weekend. I know H said that they will be doing STCBM in its entirety on Sunday night but I was assuming that meant "STCBM minus Montreal". I love the song, but we just saw it!

Anyway, this afternoon is Edison's Children at Brutopia, I need to head over a bit early, I think there's going to be a lot of people going. And tonight, of course, is BRAVE.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great (for you!) that they're playing all of STCBM in full. My big complaint about Marillion's "servicing" of N. America is the shortage of the more recent material. IMO time spent playing stuff like Hooks in You is time that could be spent playing material from HITR and Somewhere Else that they haven't played here. Or not played much.

Yeah, that's another huge bonus of these weekends. So much setlist space available, you get loads of new material as well as older. I've seen lots of Somewhere Else and HitR. It's too bad they can't/don't slot more of that stuff in on their regular tours for the many fans who can't attend the weekends.

Really looking forward to "Gaza" live tomorrow night!

A wonderful first night. They delivered, as usual. I actually really enjoyed their 2013 take on the Fish-era material. Surprisingly refreshing, almost like some third new band. Maybe because I hardly ever revisit that material much anymore.

Here's to another day! WooHoo!

Currently at Brutopia watching Edison's Children sound check. Drinking fantastic craft beers! Life's good.

Brave has just ended and it was stunning. No exaggeration - it was just incredible. Wow!

^ h in pigtails?

I'll have to wait for the DVD...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Brave has just ended and it was stunning. No exaggeration - it was just incredible. Wow!
    Just curious: was Steve Rothery's daughter also there during the performance of the song Brave?

Best. Band. Ever.

It was a terrific light show with loads of little extra theatrics. I'm not sure if that was Rothery's daughter but there was a girl in a white dress.

Set one
    -----------

Brave in its entirety

Set two
    -----------

Rich
    The Damage
    Trap The Spark
    Warm Wet Circles
    That Time Of The Night
    Drilling Holes
    Out Of This World

Encore
    ----------

Seasons End
    The Space

Well f*ck me. Tonight: one of the best concerts I've ever seen. BRAVE in its entirety, plus some (like "Out of This World"--Wow again). Beautiful performance, sonics, lighting, film visuals, crown connection, etc... We show up for these things, we fans, and it's a knock out...

Breathtaking performance tonight. The lighting, the clips for Brave in the background, the props used by H (most notably the candles). Amazing!!!

Out of this World/Seasons End/The Space to close out this wonderful night... I can die happy now!

I also met Jonathan Schang of District 97 after Marillion's performance (bought a copy of "Trouble with Machines", which was an added bonus for the night... along with meeting old and dear friends. Great to see you both again, Andrew and Arthur!).

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    Best. Band. Ever.