Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Man or From The Beginning?

Lucky Man or From The Beginning?

Which do you prefer?
    I used to prefer Lucky Man, especially since it was my first hearing of ELP.
    I've gradually changed to From The Beginning, because it has both a guitar solo AND a synth solo. Fancier guitar work, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Which do you prefer?
    I used to prefer Lucky Man, especially since it was my first hearing of ELP.
    I've gradually changed to From The Beginning, because it has both a guitar solo AND a synth solo. Fancier guitar work, also.
    What the heck, I'll bite. I'd pick From the Beginning. Not sure why - I like both songs, but just like FtB a little better for some reason. Maybe I've heard Lucky Man too many times.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

From The Beginning

Definitely FTB. Lucky Man heard way too many times. But seriously...'someone get me a ladder' ???

Like them both.
    But not as much as TAKE A PEBBLE.

"Lucky Man" for me. Love the spooky atmosphere of it, especially of course that classic wailing-banshee Moog at the end. "From the Beginning" is a touch too breezy, easy-rock to me--a bit of California to Lucky Man's Olde Englande.

Quote Originally Posted by jc90125 View Post
    Definitely FTB. Lucky Man heard way too many times. But seriously...'someone get me a ladder' ???
    I think you're thinking of another song.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Since I've heard both I don't think there was a time that I didn't prefer FTB to LM.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by jc90125 View Post
    That lyric is from Still you turn me on BSS..
    As for the question.. From the Beginning for sure..

Going with Lucky Man. All three are heavily involved in the song, and Palmer's musical style is wonderful. I've used Lucky Man to test and adjust my stereos for decades.

Bob

I like From The Beginning, but when I was a kid riding my bike with the transistor radio strapped to the handle bars you lived to catch Lucky Man on the radio. Every weekend at the end of broadcast they would play Maggot Brain.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

From The Beginning is much more fun to play on guitar, and Lucky Man has that annoying synth outro.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Lucky Man

From the Beginning is sublime!

From The Beginning.....as someone else said above I think I have heard Lucky Man too many times.

Ces' t la vie

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    From The Beginning is much more fun to play on guitar
    Definitely. It's closer to progressive- more complex and mature... (Like C'est La Vie, Closer to Believing, Father Christmas, Watching Over You, etc.) Lake wrote Lucky Man when he was 15 or 16, and it shows. It's a simple four chord pop song. The thing I like the most about Lucky Man is that it brought ELP to a wider audience.

Not sure if I can chose. Maybe "from the beginning" but just barely. I suppose I have sort of burnt out on "lucky man" to some degree. That song did however seem to put the moog synthesizer on the map in a big way though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Ces' t la vie
    What, Rufus, not "More Fool Me" ???!?!?!?!!!

FTB over LM for me
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Lucky Man is a very simple song. From the Beginning has some pretty cool riffs to it. Give me From the Beginning any day.

I prefer From the Beginning, but I like Lucky Man too. I'm probably a little more burned out on Lucky Man.

I also very much like Still You turn Me On, "ladder" lyrics and all. C'est La Vie is nice too. But my favorite Lake acoustic composition by far is The Sage from Pictures. That one just slays me every time I hear it.

Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    Like them both.
    But not as much as TAKE A PEBBLE.
    +1

I might be inclined to say From The Beginning, just because I think the synth solo is better than the Lucky Man one (and I suspect Keith would agree). Lucky Man was just him farting around trying to make up his mind what he wanted to play, whereas From The Beginning sounds like he knew the tape machine was running this time.

For me, 'From The Beginning' blows 'Lucky Man' out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    For me, 'From The Beginning' blows 'Lucky Man' out of the water.
    Same here. Better than "Still You Turn Me On" too.