Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Big PROG ROCK names you never got into

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    DO RE MI FA SO LA TI DO are the phonetic names of the eight notes on a musical scale … when being sung as syllables for vocal training ("solmisation”) … quite a high-brow title for an album!

that prog classic “the sound of music” has a tune named “do re mi” which always sends me running for some MESHUGGAH or NAPALM DEATH …
    I'm a little surprised that ProgBear doesn't know this, so I'd say that he finds the title stupid despite knowing its meaning

Actually in Continental Europe (or at least in the French and Dutch-speaking parts of it ) and in parts of Africa, everyone learns the notes that way, and have to learn the letters names later on
    (btw, the "ti" is a "si" in our neck of the woods and a minor note (black note on the piano) is understood as "bémol" and a major as a "dies")
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm a little surprised that ProgBear doesn't know this, so I'd say that he finds the title stupid despite knowing its meaning

Actually in Continental Europe (or at least in the French and Dutch-speaking parts of it ) and in parts of Africa, everyone learns the notes that way, and have to learn the letters names later on
    (btw, the "ti" is a "si" in our neck of the woods and a minor note (black note on the piano) is understood as "bémol" and a major as a "dies")
    And in Germany the bémol is b and the b is h.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    DO RE MI FA SO LA TI DO are the phonetic names of the eight notes on a musical scale … when being sung as syllables for vocal training ("solmisation”) … quite a high-brow title for an album!
    “High-brow”? Seriously? It’s like they took it from The Sound of Music!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...