Thread: FEATURED CD - Oresund Space Collective : The Black Tomato

FEATURED CD - Oresund Space Collective : The Black Tomato

Per Expose:
    The Øresund Space Collective (ØSC), Sweden’s answer to Acid Mothers Temple, offers up a succulent three course culinary feast of improvised space rock on their third studio release The Black Tomato. Two guitarists, two bass players, three synthesists, and one drummer play off each other’s ideas to create new and innovative courses of musical whimsy. The appetizer for this feast is the 38-minute “RumBle” with screaming guitars, swirling electronics, and occasional Russian narration applied sparingly as the dressing. “RumBle” is in five parts, so it quite easy to digest, whetting your appetite for the entree and title track. “The Black Tomato” is another sumptuous offering clocking in at 32 minutes and divided as well into three parts to make it easy on your pallet using Hawkwind-esque riffs. Just like any fine dining experience, as you near the end of the meal, the tempo begins to slow, allowing you to relax and savor the experience. Your cravings have been satisfied and all that remains is the self-indulgence of a rich and sugary dessert, which OSC delivers with the six-minute “Viking Cleaner.” These guys are the Top Chefs of space rock! Each subsequent release demonstrates that they are honing their skills. Never standing still, always moving forward, ØSC has the finished artwork ready for their next release Inside Your Head which should be out by fall 2008. And if you can’t wait, you can always go to their web site to download MP3s from their many live shows.

By Henry Schneider, Published 2007-12-31
    http://www.expose.org/index.php/arti...-tomato-6.html

Regards,

Duncan

haven't checked them out yet... been meaning to since instrumental Prog is always in my wheelhouse
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

OSC is a favorite of the house...!!
    "The Black Tornato" was my first exposure to their music ... good call!!
    Agree with the review too
    Last edited by TCC; 02-22-2016 at 08:18 PM.

I have this one, the self titled debut, Inside Your Head and the latest Different Creatures. A nice cross-section actually and all four are really good. I think I enjoy the debut the most.
    The bass player Par Hallgren started Hooffoot after apparently having his life changed when he discovered Jazz/ Fusion from the seventies and RPI from the seventies a few years or so ago. He mentions "Ys" specifically as the album. Par was in The Carpet Knights as well.
    If you like Electric Orange, Zone Six or The First Band From Outerspace you'll love these guys.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

This is one of their best albums. Recently reissued on double LP with extended material.

Had the pleasure to spend the previous week-end with them and the guys from Agusa. Very nice blokes. They had in their ranks the guitarist from First Band From Outerspace giving them a heavier Hawkwind drive to their sound that suited them perfectly.

You can hear the (excellent sounding) ØSC gig at the link below:

https://archive.org/details/OSC2016-02-13.FLAC
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Saw them live sometime in the early 2000s, and they were great.

I kinda like the comparison to Electric Orange above; both bands are improvisationally based projects whose music bears potential of appeal even to listeners unacquainted with 'free forms'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I kinda like the comparison to Electric Orange above; both bands are improvisationally based projects whose music bears potential of appeal even to listeners unacquainted with 'free forms'.
    I will add Electric Moon (and to a lesser extent Zone Six) to this approach. I normally enjoy this stuff but there is a problem with these bands, in that they have a tendency to issue quasi-everything they record. An improvisational approach is not easily successful, you need to be in a special communicative mood. And I think that somehow the masterminds behind these bands oftenly neglect the virtue of "evaluate and substract".

Electric Orange do have this quality to a larger degree, however.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    The Øresund Space Collective (ØSC), Sweden’s answer to Acid Mothers Temple,
    A small correction - Øresund is the strait between Denmark & Sweden, and the members comes from Copenhagen (Denmark), Malmö (Sweden) but also americans have been members.

Bought one of their releases a few years back thinking I'd really take to them. I enjoyed it, but I rarely ever thinking of playing it.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    but also americans have been members.
    And still are. Their leader Dr. Space (Scott Heller) is permanantely residing in Denmark.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    A great space-rock album indeed.

Much better than some of their previous efforts, which had far too much jazz rock for my taste. This is a good spacey LP, it's still growing on me, I haven't quite gelled with it yet.

screaming guitars, swirling electronics, and occasional Russian narration applied sparingly as the dressing.
    Russian dressing?